Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Things I don't get...

Originally posted by A String:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also play some bass, I think most guitar players can

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As someone who has drummed with a few guitarists who strapped on the bass during rehearsals, I say no, not many guitarists can. They're usually waaaaaay too busy and their feel is all wrong. A real bassist is a gem.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do play metal, and most metal bass is boring. Trust me, I have alot of respect for bass players. A friend of mine runs www.bassplayer.ca This guy is a stellar bass player, but I still bust his balls about it. Does nobody else out there like to tease bass players?
What a horrible night to have a curse.

Originally posted by ihategarybettman:

Originally posted by A String:

I also play some bass, I think most guitar players can

As someone who has drummed with a few guitarists who strapped on the bass during rehearsals, I say no, not many guitarists can. They're usually waaaaaay too busy and their feel is all wrong. A real bassist is a gem.

You quoted my name there, but I never said that.

I have far more experience as a professional bass player then I do as a guitar player. Most of the time I was on the road, I was a bass player. Most of my studio work is done on bass as well. Because I play drums too, (Although I would never consider myself a "drummer"), I have a really good understanding of how to play bass. I'd say I'm a better bass player then guitar player. But, I'm always working on both.

I play both guitar and bass...

Lemme tellya...

If the guitarist stops... it can be a "stylistic" thing.

If the drummer stops for a minute... it's a break beat or a dramatic pause.

But let the bass stop. All hell breaks loose. People know something went wrong.

A good bassist can cover for an unfunky drummer or a lackluster guitarist. It can put the "heart" into a weak song.

The very nature of the electric bass' guitarlike qualities (neck, strings, etc) means that most guitarists have the essential skills to play bass in theory... but, in practice, it's a different story. I mean, a sitar is similar to a guitar, too... but being a good sitar player is a totally different skill. If you're a guitarist who thinks they can just "pick up the bass" and be proficient in a day or two... I would suggest that you are sadly mistaken. Good bassists are a very rare, special breed.

But yer right... it's fun to tease them.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Sorry, A String. I looked at the post I referenced more closely and it was not you but Xplorer who wrote "I also play some bass, I think most guitar players can". However, I stand by my statement that not many musicians who consider themselves guitarists first and foremost can play bass correctly.

Originally posted by ihategarybettman:

Sorry, A String. I looked at the post I referenced more closely and it was not you but Xplorer who wrote "I also play some bass, I think most guitar players can". However, I stand by my statement that not many musicians who consider themselves guitarists first and foremost can play bass correctly.

Agreed.

Originally posted by Xplorer:

Anyway, I just don't see why most bass players didn't just pick up drums instead... Bass is so bland... Bass is rarley the stand out instrument. There is no glory in playing bass in general... The only way a bassplayer is going to get panties thrown at him, is if the rest of the band totally smokes...

Several points to answer here! :evil:

a) Panty throwing women don't care what instrument you play, they really don't care. Most girls can't tell a bass from a guitar, you know.

b) Pick up drums? What the hell for? :confused::eek: I want to play melodies as well, I want to have a say in chordal playing. And what's so good about drums anyway? I mean, they're fun and all, but it must really suck having to always play along with other people all the time.

c) There may not be any glory in playing bass "in general" but who the hell wants to do anything "in general"? :D I certainly don't want to be some anonymous guy going "root-5th" all night. I want to PLAY.

Archived