Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Things I don't get...

Pearloid. Am I the only person that thinks pearloid tuners look like decomposed glow in the dark soap?

Why do they MAKE those things anyway? What's wrong with metal? What's wrong with wood?

And what about cherry? Is that the dullest colour in the world or what? It's not exactly the sort of colour one associates with rock and roll, is it? And yet it's on so many SGs. Why are Gibson colours so dull anyway?

Why didn't the zero fret ever catch on? And what other things do *you* guys not get? Any answers will be appreciated and considered.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Pearloid. Am I the only person that thinks pearloid tuners look like decomposed glow in the dark soap?

Why do they MAKE those things anyway? What's wrong with metal? What's wrong with wood?

And what about cherry? Is that the dullest colour in the world or what? It's not exactly the sort of colour one associates with rock and roll, is it? And yet it's on so many SGs. Why are Gibson colours so dull anyway?

Why didn't the zero fret ever catch on? And what other things do *you* guys not get? Any answers will be appreciated and considered.

Pearloid I agree why?????

Gibsons dull, maybe not, yes conservative but not dull (SG's apart)that is a dull stain.

Zero fret no idea lost on me that one.

What i dont get......

is enough money, enough free time, enough guitar equipment and why do fender put there electric headstock shape on acoustic guitars, it looks horrible .......

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by The Big G:

On some old guitars there's a fret almost immediately after the nut. It's so close that it's unuseable, but it fixed a lot of intonation problems. Unfortunately it's associated with old cheapies.

On some old guitars there's a fret almost immediately after the nut. It's so close that it's unuseable, but it fixed a lot of intonation problems. Unfortunately it's associated with old cheapies.
Vince I had seen them but had no knowledge why they did it, did it fix intonation???

Cheers

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by Sleaze_Disease:

I don't get what's so cool about tuning down to D or B and playing a whole song with one finger like so many bands do now-a-days.

Impossible to play 'Moby Dick' without it :D

As for the zero fret, the only negative aspect of it is the loss of the open-string chime that a nut gives. I have a cousin with a zero fret guitar (that is a crap guitar from the 60's that he uses) but I haven't played it enough to really test the nut vs. zero fret thing.

I kinda liked the Perloid on my old Les Paul, sorta matched the trapezoid fret markers.

Maybe it's a throw back to the days before you could turn out macined metal????

(American phrases here)

Why do we drive on parkways

and park on driveways?

:D

Lynn G

The zero fret makes cutting the nut height much less critical,

using the nut just as a spacer and the zero fret to set the lowest possible action.

It can make bending strings in the lower positions harder tho'.

J

Think I read once that Django Reinhardt had a usable zero fret... That confused me.

Well there you go.. invention in the making.

Come up with a nut replacement that incorporates a guide and "0-fret" that's height adjustable. Perhaps in a graduated form by way of a hex key through the neck.

Have your favorite guitar with that sloppy low action ready for bottle neck at the spin of a key without all that fret slammin' and stammerin'.

It's a bit of a Wal-Mart notion I'll admit. I'm an idea guy.... it's just that some of them are better kept to myself that's all.

Sorry... I missed the point of the thread...

Things I don't get:

I don't get why anyone would not cut the excess string off after ensuring they're wound on properly. It's dangerous and looks moronic.

IMHO

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

This ought to help understand the use of zero frets.

As for pearloid, are you referring to Gibson's "vintage" greenish tuning buttons and fret markers? They're supposed to look aged. The original color was a whitish, mother of pearl type color but exposure to sunlight turns the white to greenish yellow. I like the white pearloid. My classical guitars all have pearloid buttons.

I'm partial to wooden buttons, but they're more expensive to make. Given the history, most electric guitar makers continue to use metal or plastic (pearloid) regardless of the price of their instruments.

Can't say why Gibson seems bent on selling upwards of 80% of SG's in Heritage Cherry. I can only guess it's tradition. I am surprised the SG Supreme is the only SG featuring really interesting colors, and at that they're still quite dark bursts overall. Perhaps it's has something to do with the look of colors on Mahogany's natural color, but I'm just guessing at that. (If you think about it, Maple and other common solid body woods tend to be lighter in color than Mahogany, so would take tranlucent finishes better than Mahogany. Of course, that doesn't explain why they haven't done more opaque finish SG's in brighter colors. :freak: )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Justus A. Picker:

I don't get why people stick enough gaudy inlay on a guitar to detract from the beauty of the wood or airbrush them with scenes from the Bible, racing cars, cowboys or beer advertisments.

Haha well played!! :thu:
Lyrics-wasted time between solos.

Brat!

Actually, nobody's ever commented or asked why I use bold and I've never explained.

I put any poster's name in bold to make it stand out. Sometimes I find myself scanning posts rather than reading every word of every post. I put people's names or handles in bold to make it easier for people to identify comments about them or other posters they're interested in.

Otherwise, I tend to stay away from bold other than the auto-bold when quoting another post.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

"That shouldn't be the case, Jim. If it wasn't resting on the zero fret it would be resting on the nut. "

Not really. The string hangs off the nut and when you bend, the string stops at the edge of the slot and stretches.

With the zero fret there is a certain amount of bend when it is just scraping along the zero fret . Really quite a bit before the nut-slot stop kicks in.

If you like to bend a G-string A up to a B from time to time, the zero fret can be unwieldy.

Originally posted by jimash:

"That shouldn't be the case, Jim. If it wasn't resting on the zero fret it would be resting on the nut. "

Not really. The string hangs off the nut and when you bend, the string stops at the edge of the slot and stretches.

With the zero fret there is a certain amount of bend when it is just scraping along the zero fret . Really quite a bit before the nut-slot stop kicks in.

If you like to bend a G-string A up to a B from time to time, the zero fret can be unwieldy.

I see your point, but it's not quite the case. While there is drag across the zero fret, it increases the bending length of string over a nut because the nut is further away and the only side anchor. As you can easily test yourself, bending from further up the neck, increasing the length of string behind the bend makes it incredibly easy to bend notes and bend them further, up until some point off the end of the fretboard where you decrease the p'up side of the string to where it becomes stiffer again.

Between the drag and the ease from the longer string length before the side to side anchor of the nut I would say it should be about equal in difficulty bending near the 0 fret.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by musicalhair:

Yeah Superdave, I dont' get any women either ... oh wait, did you mean you don't understand them ... oh never mind.

Musicalhair is funny. :D

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Neil wrote

"Between the drag and the ease from the longer string length before the side to side anchor of the nut I would say it should be about equal in difficulty bending near the 0 fret."

Neil I do appreciate your point of view, 's just not my experience.

Maybe it's them big strings on the Gretsch.

Jim

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Originally posted by jimash:

I see your point, but it's not quite the case. While there is drag across the zero fret, it increases the bending length of string over a nut because the nut is further away and the only side anchor. As you can easily test yourself, bending from further up the neck, increasing the length of string behind the bend makes it incredibly easy to bend notes and bend them further, up until some point off the end of the fretboard where you decrease the p'up side of the string to where it becomes stiffer again.

Between the drag and the ease from the longer string length before the side to side anchor of the nut I would say it should be about equal in difficulty bending near the 0 fret.

I don't get it.
What a horrible night to have a curse.

Could be...

What's the string-break angle like behind the nut? That can affect it too. Makes a solid connection when you break hard, but it also puts less give in the string when you try to bend below the third fret compared to a more straight break.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived