Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Things I don't get...

i don't get some guitar designers.

if you have no artistic ability, please leave the shape up to someone who understands flow and has some skill with a pencil.

just being a great luthier doesn't mean you can design an attractive shape on a body or headstock.

ok.. my main gripe is with ugly headstocks.

but there is no shortage of butt ugly guitars.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"What's the string-break angle like behind the nut?"

Well it's an older Nashville. Has a neck like a bat and classical

type fingerboard.

There's a fairly steep angle and the strings rest on the Zero

fret and I use very few winds around the post and make sure there is good down angle because I like it to ring. Thiis guitar also has a ruler straight neck and Low action all the way up. http://images1.snapfish.com/3474694%3B7%7Ffp33%3A%3Enu%3D3249%3E%3B3%3B%3E37%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D32338838%3B7576nu0mrj

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

i don't get bisexuals..

c'mon, make a decision. choose one.

don't you have a favorite? :D

Or homosexuals that go out and find other homosexuals that are dressed like women. :eek::confused: That's just too confusing to even think about.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Guitars are like shoes. But louder.:

I don't get why anyone would not cut the excess string off after ensuring they're wound on properly. It's dangerous and looks moronic.

IMHO

Whe I was a kid I thought it looked quite cool, and I wasn't the only one either. I have no idea what we saw in it though.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by Guitars are like shoes. But louder.:

I don't get why anyone would not cut the excess string off after ensuring they're wound on properly. It's dangerous and looks moronic.

IMHO

Whe I was a kid I thought it looked quite cool, and I wasn't the only one either. I have no idea what we saw in it though.
Yeah I used to think it looked cool... Thankfully not for too long :)

Originally posted by jimash:

"What's the string-break angle like behind the nut?"

Well it's an older Nashville. Has a neck like a bat and classical

type fingerboard.

There's a fairly steep angle and the strings rest on the Zero

fret...

That certainly has a profound effect on string bending. But I wouldn't discount the drag, too.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I don't get the overwhelming popularity of rap/hip hop. Let me state that I'm not someone who completely dismisses the whole genre; I acknowledge that there is some good music to be found there and I have enjoyed the occasional track, so please don't bring up the tired argument that I just haven't given it a fair chance or the even more ridiculous assertion that, if I don't like rap, I must somehow be racist.

However, I personally find rap/hip hop to be fairly limited, tonality-wise, and the electronic bass and drum rhythm tracks on most their records get pretty sterile sounding and tiresome to me fairly quickly. Therefore, while I understand someone liking it from time to time as a change of pace, I don't get the genre's seeming all-pervasiveness in today's culture. Also, as someone who likes to listen to a wide variety of music, it amazes me that some people can listen to rap and hip hop exclusively (then again, I don't see how anyone can listen to only one style of music, no matter what it is).

Originally posted by Xplorer:

I don't get bass players

Ok, I'll bite... what don't you get about them?

Or rather.... I love bass and am mainly a bass player. I fell in love with the sound because it's just COOL. It's rounded and funky and muscular and danceable and just good in the sense of "not evil". It's a real "gentle giant" sort of sound thingie. I love the physicality of playing the heavier strings, you really feel like you're playing. I love hitting deep notes and feeling the stage rumble. What's there not to get? :D

I don't get bass players

Or rather.... I love bass and am mainly a bass player. I fell in love with the sound because it's just COOL. It's rounded and funky and muscular and danceable and just good in the sense of "not evil". It's a real "gentle giant" sort of sound thingie. I love the physicality of playing the heavier strings, you really feel like you're playing. I love hitting deep notes and feeling the stage rumble. What's there not to get? :D

I'm with Vince here, I'm as much a bass player as I am a Guitar player. Why do you not get us? :confused:

Those things bother you, Pappy, because you have a clue, unlike people who gab away on the phone while driving way too slowly (and probably making indiscriminate lane changes), completely oblivious to everything except their conversation. Those things bother you because they create a situation that can kill you and others. Those things bother you, and they bother the crap out of me, too.

When I drove a cab, I used to talk on my hands free cell all the time. What I don't understand is not people who talk on cells when driving, it's people who talk on cells and have trouble driving.

Why is it that we look at chatting on the phone differently, then chatting with a person in the back seat. You're still just talking to someone while driving. It never impaired my driving one bit and yet some people seem incapable of doing it.

Originally posted by A String:

I don't get bass players

I'm with Vince here, I'm as much a bass player as I am a Guitar player. Why do you not get us? :confused:
I also play some bass, I think most guitar player can/do. I can see I'm walking on thin ice here, so if your easily offended, let's just move on.

Anyway, I just don't see why most bass players didn't just pick up drums instead. Bass is so bland. I can't argue this, it's just my opinion. I can come up with a counterpoint from a bass players perspective for each one of my arguments, so don't freak out!

Bass is rarley the stand out instrument. There is no glory in playing bass in general. And I find it boring to play. Therefore, I just don't get bassplayers.

The only way a bassplayer is going to get panties thrown at him, is if the rest of the band totally smokes. A good bass player can't hold up a crappy band. A good guitar player or good drummer, however, can.

OK, let me have it.

What a horrible night to have a curse.

I don't get bass players

I also play some bass, I think most guitar player can/do. I can see I'm walking on thin ice here, so if your easily offended, let's just move on.

Anyway, I just don't see why most bass players didn't just pick up drums instead. Bass is so bland. I can't argue this, it's just my opinion. I can come up with a counterpoint from a bass players perspective for each one of my arguments, so don't freak out!

Bass is rarley the stand out instrument. There is no glory in playing bass in general. And I find it boring to play. Therefore, I just don't get bassplayers.

The only way a bassplayer is going to get panties thrown at him, is if the rest of the band totally smokes. A good bass player can't hold up a crappy band. A good guitar player or good drummer, however, can.

OK, let me have it.

What a horrible night to have a curse.

I don't get bass players

I'm with X on this one. When I play bass?...I don't get myself. That's a scary feeling, so I tend to not play bass at all expense to avoid those trying internal woes.

I don't get OLN on my Satellite feed...

I don't get tax breaks like the rich...

I don't get pizza delivery out here in Deliverence...but

I do, however, get women. Now if I just knew how to get rid of them.

Kerry

Originally posted by Pappy P:

Astring:

Tell us some of the crazy things people have told you as a cab driver, or do you have a confidentiality clause.

I learned many things during my stint as a cab driver. One of the main things is, when your wife or girl friend says she is going out for a "Girls Night Out" just say no. I can't tell you how many groups of women I picked up that were making out with guys when I picked them up and then dropped them off at home to see their husbands. They would giggle and yell "Girls Night Out!" as I picked them up. One woman even had sex in the cab with a stranger she had picked up. I dropped off the guy, brought her home to her husband and she said to me as she left the cab "God I love girls night out! See you next week!".

quote:

I don't get bass players

Or rather.... I love bass and am mainly a bass player. I fell in love with the sound because it's just COOL. It's rounded and funky and muscular and danceable and just
good
in the sense of "not evil". It's a real "gentle giant" sort of sound thingie. I love the physicality of playing the heavier strings, you really feel like you're
playing
. I love hitting deep notes and feeling the stage rumble. What's there not to get?
:D
I'm with Vince here, I'm as much a bass player as I am a Guitar player. Why do you not get us?
:confused:

OK, let me have it.

It all depends on the style you play. I'd rather be shot in the foot then play country bass. Metal bass is also a bore. But get into some of the funky stuff and it's just a blast.

Archived