Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is this guitar anyone?

CaptainChaos

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yhup, Gibson Les Paul Custom, with a bumper-sticker (that'll cost ya extra). :thu:

You could get a lot of what's happenin' there for a lot less money in a used, '90s Gibson Les Paul Studio; look for one with an ebony fretboard, gold hardware, and "dot"-inlays. Pretty much the same guitar without the binding and heavy inlay work.

http://www.silverchair.nu/sc_nu/photogallery/bilder/daniel/neon_daniel_02.jpg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Ok cheers! I've just listened to a few songs with that guitar and it sounds awesome and i have to have one! 90s Gibson Les Paul Studio is my nest bet then without forking out a few grand? One more question im after a half decent tuner with C and F's and what have you cause alot of ongs i wanna play are funny tuning, anyone got any reletivly cheap sugguestions? :)

Any chromatic tuner will do the job :) Just make sure its chromatic and not specifically called something like a "Guitar & Bass Tuner" as some only do EADGBE. You could use one of those to get your different notes though, by fretting the string in the right place... i.e. if you wanted your 6th string to be C hold down the fret at 4 and tune till you get an E on the tuner.

Caveat Emptor (for those of you who didn't watch The Brady Bunch religeously, "Let the buyer beware.")

All the advice here has been good, but I say this because the differences between various years and models (and, of course, Epi low dollar versions) make significant differences in sound and playability. Different p'ups, neck styles and woods will make you love one LP and hate another. And there are a lot of variations.

Regardless of price, make sure you're happy with the instrument for its' specific sound and playability, in addition to finish and other appointments.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Caveat Emptor (for those of you who didn't watch The Brady Bunch religeously, "Let the buyer beware.")

All the adice here has been good, but I say this because the differences between various years and models (and, of course, Epi low dollar versions) make significant differences in sound and playability. Different p'ups, neck styles and woods will make you love one LP and hate another. And there are a lot of variations.

Regardless of price, make sure you're happy with the instrument for its' specific sound and playability, in addition to finish and other appointments.

Yes! That's what I would say too. The ONE I found happened to be an Ephi. Traded a bunch of old gear cause I couldn't let it pass by. I got plenty of use out of the gear before I traded it making it a great deal to me.

Yeah, any time you can play a guitar before buying, is a good way to go. But I'd be surprised if you found a bad LP Studio of the made-in-the-'90s/ebony-fretboard variety...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Yeah, any time you can play a guitar before buying, is a good way to go. But I'd be surprised if you found a bad LP Studio of the made-in-the-'90s/ebony-fretboard variety...

I know what you mean, but I've heard such a variety of comments regarding the typical 490/498 p'up combo, '57 Classics, and Burstbuckers that I really encourage people to listen carefully to a bunch of instruments before choosing one over all the rest. And that ain't even taking the fat 50's neck vs. slim "fast" '60's neck varieties into account. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I totally agree Fantas....I LOVE Les Pauls, but have found that for everyone I actually do love, I've played MANY that I thought, well, were pretty bad!!

And, I didn't even use any bad language! :eek:

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

I had a friend who was a gibson rep during that period. He would disagree with you. He set aside the good ones he found at the factory for his favorite dealers. :eek:

Gee, I hope my dealer was on of his favorites. ;) Mine is like a 1990 or 1991 Studio, black with gold hardware and ebony fingerboard with mother of pearl traps. I got no complaints about the thing. It sounds fantastic. Don't they want something like $1300 for one of those now? Back in the day I only paid $750.
A.K.A. TRGuitar

On tuners... I think they're all pretty much of a muchness, as long as they say "chromatic tuner", you'll probably be ok.

I have a Seiko that's alright and cost me very little.

HOWEVER, I'd prefer one with a display that lit up.

This one has little arrows that go from red to green when you hit the right note but, in the dark or in low lighting situations, it's hard to see what note you've actually hit.

In other words, it lights up green to show me the string is in *A* correct pitch, but God only knows if it's an E or an A# or what. :P

Archived