Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is economy picking?

superdave

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at this:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/musicpopup.asp?title=Ex.%2015&fpath=/Pictures/musicscore/i/i/j/Clas15.jpg

Where you see to upstroke or downstroke symbols beside each other, that's economy picking. It's like a mini sweep pick.

The only time where downpicking is only used is if you think it should be used. Alot of heavy metal and punk has rhythm with all downstrokes, it gives the music a more aggressive feel.

It's kind of a hybrid alternate picking style that uses concepts borrowed from sweep picking. I use it all the time.

Alternate picking is straight up-down-up-down... etc.

So... if I hit the D string with a down stroke and want to hit the G string next, with alternate picking, I'll hit it with an upstroke.

In economy (sometimes called directional picking), I'll hit that G string with a downstroke. So in effect, I've hit both D and G with successive downstrokes creating a kind of mini-sweep.

economy picking is;

let say you have three notes to play on the low E string, and then a note to play on the A string.

Instead of alternative picking, which is going "up down up down" with your pick, you'd go down up down and then continue on that third downward picking stroke on to the A string and hit your fourth note on the A with the same downward picking motion. I think that many of us do this intuitively. It allows you to pick more efficiently, and presumedly, faster.

I've done this forever, without ever knowing I was doing it. I would not have been able to describe this, except that I just read the interview of Dweezil Zappa in the August issue of Guitar Player, where he was talking about this!

I'm learnin...... :D

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by mdrs:

economy picking is;

let say you have three notes to play on the low E string, and then a note to play on the A string.

Instead of alternative picking, which is going "up down up down" with your pick, you'd go down up down and then continue on that third downward picking stroke on to the A string and hit your fourth note on the A with the same downward picking motion. I think that many of us do this intuitively. It allows you to pick more efficiently, and presumedly, faster.

I've done this forever, without ever knowing I was doing it. I would not have been able to describe this, except that I just read the interview of Dweezil Zappa in the August issue of Guitar Player, where he was talking about this!

I'm learnin...... :D

Wow!!! That stuff has names??? I'm in trouble. I often get my kids name mixed-up!!! And I only have one!!!

Fernando

If you can't say it in 12 bars... then it can't be said!

I knew a guy who could use this technique very well. It sounds cool. More legato definately than alternate picking.

I am more of a pick hammer on pull off guy if I am not alternate picking on guy, but to each his own.

Always good to practice new techniques. I work on that one sometimes if I am playing 3 note patterns.

here's a great way to burn some triplets w/ econ pckng:

pick a 3 finger per string and 7 tone scale A natural minor

--------------------------------

------------5------5-7--5-7-9--

5-7-8--7-8---- 8----------------

d-u-d--u-DD---u-d-u--d-u-d

timing should be in triplets, so count trip-a-let

PICKING PATTERN-----d---u--d----u--D--D--u--d-u

COUNTING PATTERN:-trip-a-let--trip-a-let-trip-a-let

any way, there isn't enough space for the whole scale but it is an A natural minor or Aeolian mode three finger per string pattern

On the way down it's a little awkard in that there is no sweep from string #1 to # 2 and the UP sweeps on the way down start from String #2 and on down

Doc's technique is massive. Amazingly smooth, the best timing I've ever witnessed live. Powerful, and graceful, all at once. The man is one of the all time greats. At something like age 83, when I saw him, he actually apologized to the audience for forgetting the words on one line in one song! Talk about gracious and humble. I felt very lucky to have had the chance to see him in person.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Archived