Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Speed Picking Benchmarks

Tone Taster

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer your question: no, don't know, but....

"Speed pickers" as in "economy pickers"? It's definitely more than that.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Wanna have a good laugh? Go to the Eric Johnson forum, go to the technique forum. There are people there who actually figure out NOTES PER SECOND! Which is not difficult to figure out w/ metronome markings, but, anyways... It's just downright ridiculous to count them per second! And yes, they'll listen to stuff, fiugre the rhythmic values and metronome value and figure out the "NPS" value. Personally, I think it's hilarious.

My MySpace Space

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBxz3o9e0yw&search=McLaughlin

I like Mclaughlin's playing in the later stuff.

He plays fast.

"play super fast think super fast, think mastercard" Doesn't that sound like it should be an ad or something? Actually I think it is. why am I spouting it out. I dunno maybe because my head is filled with lies!! kidding

Anyways, after watching these shredders go nutz I realize I suck.

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

NPS, do not exceed the posted speed limit.

I think if you are going to play that fast, you should have to wear a seatbelt or helmet. :)

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I actually don't understand the concept.. maybe I'm just plain DUMB!

But, while I do practice things with a metronome, in order to get them clean and in good time, and yes, indeed, with good TONE as best I can..

I can't imagine why anyone else would be interested in those details, it's a private matter... a private practice matter.

Should someone come hear me PLAY, it would be about, "did Eric communicate the piece and/or song well.. did it interest me... did it move me.." stuff like that. Not what the metronome marking was when I was practicing.

Geoff, if you read this, I certainly mean no offense....

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

I actually don't understand the concept.. maybe I'm just plain DUMB!

But, while I do practice things with a metronome, in order to get them clean and in good time, and yes, indeed, with good TONE as best I can..

I can't imagine why anyone else would be interested in those details, it's a private matter... a private practice matter.

You're missing the "guitar playing as an Olympic event" aspect of music. What good is shaving .001 of a second off of a Paganini caprice if the world doesn't know about it? ;)

yZe, in the EJ forum some guy says he knows the fastest speeds Shawn Lane, EJ, Petrucci, Yngwie, etc can achieve... problem is, most likely you'll see them as "NPS" :rolleyes:;) .

My MySpace Space

Well, I just want some numbers to work with so that I know where it more or less caps off at

I used to think being able to improv and fluently pick straight 16th note phrases non-stop at 120 was fast.

I am now able to do it at 140 cleanly and a little bit beyond and my non-stop sixteeth note triplet alternate picking phrases capped off at 92 today.

I'd like to get the sixteenths at 160 and the sixteenth note triplets at 200 to 220

Archived