Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Possible solution for sticky issue...

Squ

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by miroslav:

Realize that there is only a very small group of people making decisions around here...

...and you...and I...are not part of it.

Actually it's one guy, not a group. His name is Jim Quinn.

To everyone reading this, you may feel free to continue submitting your ideas. You will not be considered a troublemaker as Miro has suggested. He is simply incorrect about this and is trying to cause trouble here on the site.

Miro. Stop putting down the Forum and the Mods. Consider this your warning.

It's a great idea Squ. The problem is, with most forums, the coding is not available. Because you pay to use the code, you only have access to changes through a Control Panel. The administrator has access to an Administrator's Control Panel where he can make changes by filling out a form. He wouldn't have access to the actual code to put things in.

The banner was added because there was probably a space that said "Banner Image Location" and he uploaded the image and put it's name into that box. That would be as much control as he would have.

You know Squ...I was calm throughout this whole thread...all my posts where stated in a calm manner.

But I'm getting a bit annoyed with Craig trying to paint me as something that I'm not.

Everyone here is free to check all the other forums at MP...and I will gladly point people to a few other forums outside of MP, where I also post from time to time...

...and nowhere else, other than here on the GP forum, am I being labeled a troll, a trouble maker.

It's just a shame that it's coming from a Mod, who should be more even-handed and quite a bit more open-minded to the wishes/suggestions of ALL the membership...not just those that fall in line with what he wants.

You know what's REALLY funny...

Before Craig became a Mod...there where threads where he also took a firm stance on certain issues/points...and often we were both on the same page. I even recall him having some strong disagreements with Rief over a couple of things.

And what now...we can't have any more of that here...?

So yeahIm a little nutsbut no more than any of the other folks here.

Right now, I tend to hang on the GP forum more than any otherso please excuse me if I get a bit too involved about forum policies/issues/changes.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Miro, I will explain this one more time.

Jim wanted changes. He initiated changes and asked Rief and I to enforce them. You may feel free to bitch about the new rules all you want, but I'm getting sick of you trying to blame me.

You've had a problem with me since those rules were posted. Then you saw the banner and you went off again.

You have been given a warning which I will enforce. You may continue to make suggestions to your hearts desire. But there is to be no more bad mouthing of the Mods and giving me a hard time every time I do my job. I've let it go on long enough. I've been far more then patient with you (Mainly because you've been here for so long). Your behaviour is disrupting the forum and it has to stop.

I don't know Craig...seems it's only you that is really getting disrupted...

If I was slamming many other members and starting fights in various threads...then you would have a valid point in warning me.

As it is...it is only you and I that are not quite agreeing on some things...or maybe not communicating clearly enough to get our points across in a nice manner.

The only beef I have with you personally is when you start tossing out labels, and calling me a troll and a trouble maker.which is not true.

Otherwise, as far as the stickiesthe rules and the banner...etc...

...I just found your attitude towards me when I made some suggestions...rather close-minded, right out of hand.

Maybe you didn't mean it...but it came off that way...so I get the feeling that you have some personal issues with me, and you are bad mouthing me because of that...

...and now you are using your position as a Mod to threaten me with a "warning"...though I'm not sure exactly what that warning implies?

Maybe you don't personally practice it as a Mod...

...but it's usually proper for a Mod to first contact a member in a PM in order to try and find the cause/reason behind any problemsor a follow-up PM to issue any first warnings if the initial PM is ignored.

You seem to be relishing in keeping your unjustified admonitions and warnings quite public...which I can't help but take in a very negative way...as though you in fact are trying to turn the membership against me by labeling me unfairly.

If you want some kind of attitude changes and some better communication...

then you need to also practice itas it applies to Mods and members equally...IMO.

Just continuing to put me downand then to turn around and issue warnings to me when I give it back to you

wellthats not going to score any points on my lets be civilized meter.

Like I said earlierit takes two to tango

Thats about as far as Im going to reach outuntil you do the same

Ok, we'll do the cut and paste crap...

After you accused me of trying to enforce MY rules (As you put it), I responded with:

Show me one time where I jumped in and closed a thread that wasn't religious or political. Show me one time when I put out a warning, when it was simply a heated debate and wasn't about politics or religion. I have never and will never interfere in an argument, unless it's about one of the topics you are not allowed to discuss or if there is name calling. Other then that, have at it.

Please feel free to PM me so we can discuss your feelings on this. If you have a problem with how things are being run, I am open to discussing it with you.

Note that I asked you to discuss this privately and you insisted on dragging it out in public. It's you has has kept this public, not me.

Every step of the way, I would insist that I was just doing what Jim wanted and you insisted I had an agenda and was forcing myself on the forum. That's flat out insulting. Don't try to make it look like you're the nice guy here. During all these arguments with you, my in box fills up with people complaining about you and backing me up.

You have already been the topic of several discussions between the Mods.

Personally, I'm sick of having to defend my actions to you. I'm sick of having to wonder what Miro will think every time I make a move. I'm sick of all of it.

Something's got to give Miro. Either you cool it and let Reif and I do our job or go find somewhere else to hang out. Personally, I always thought of you as a friend. Maybe that's why it bothered me so much when you first started in on me regarding the rules. But I've moved past that. You obviously don't care who you run over, just as long as things get done your way.

Originally posted by A String:

You obviously don't care who you run over, just as long as things get done your way.

I don't see that I've run over anyone...

...and I sure don't see that I've gotten my way with anything at all around here.

As far as you going back to a previous thread to quote me...well, I though we kinda' settled that thread and you say you moved past it...(or maybe not...?).

I was referring to this thread.

And I also though of you as a friend...

...and there were times when you and I both argued with Rief while he was a Modabout some "rules/Mod attitudes"...

or don't you remember?

The reason I brought up PMing in THIS thread...is because it's been mostly between you and me...the rest of the membership has not really gotten involved.

Which is why I don't see that I'm being "disruptive" to anyone else here (sorry you see it that way Big Red)

This has been primarily a one-on-one exchange between you and meand that is why I said PMing might have been the proper way to go before you started calling me a troll and a trouble makerand issuing warnings.

Finallyhow am I keeping you and Rief from doing you jobs?

As I see itRief has not been involved with this thread at all, or the other one you and I had going awhile backhe only made like, one response in that thread.

Alsoyouve been free NOT to continue here with mebut yet you always come back at meand them I at youand then YOU at meand on and on

SoIm not keeping you from anything

you equally choose to keep this going as long as you need to

so that maybe you get what YOU want ;)

Isnt that a two-way street, Craig?

Come on nowI accept 50% now you accept 50%and well all be friends again.

Instead of telling me to leaveask me to stay

and Ill cool it. :)

Originally posted by miroslav:

You obviously don't care who you run over, just as long as things get done your way.

I don't see that I've run over anyone...

...and I sure don't see that I've gotten my way with anything at all around here.

As far as you going back to a previous thread to quote me...well, I though we kinda' settled that thread and you say you moved past it...(or maybe not...?).

I was referring to this thread.

And I also though of you as a friend...

...and there were times when you and I both argued with Rief while he was a Modabout some "rules/Mod attitudes"...

or don't you remember?

The reason I brought up PMing in THIS thread...is because it's been mostly between you and me...the rest of the membership has not really gotten involved.

Which is why I don't see that I'm being "disruptive" to anyone else here (sorry you see it that way Big Red)

This has been primarily a one-on-one exchange between you and meand that is why I said PMing might have been the proper way to go before you started calling me a troll and a trouble makerand issuing warnings.

Finallyhow am I keeping you and Rief from doing you jobs?

As I see itRief has not been involved with this thread at all, or the other one you and I had going awhile backhe only made like, one response in that thread.

Alsoyouve been free NOT to continue here with mebut yet you always come back at meand them I at youand then YOU at meand on and on

SoIm not keeping you from anything

you equally choose to keep this going as long as you need to

so that maybe you get what YOU want ;)

Isnt that a two-way street, Craig?

Come on nowI accept 50% now you accept 50%and well all be friends again.

Instead of telling me to leaveask me to stay

and Ill cool it. :)

Miro. I want you to stay.

Dunno what the gripe of the moment is all about, really. I'm not "in the the thick" of things because I'm back to work, at a desk that has no computer. Craig works at home on his PC all day. I certainly feel the frustration of being under a microscope for our every action. I ask people to quit squabbling, and I'm a beat cop.... :rolleyes: If anyone cares to look back far enough, Craig and I both took it upon ourselves to promote cordiality here long before we were ever asked to become mods. Hmmmm.....could that have been a factor is JQ's decision to broach the subject to us? I'm not saying we were unique in this regard - not so!

The way I see it, if ya gotta pull rank on someone, that someone is either pushing the envelope of acceptability, or is trying to undermine the status quo. The status quo we would like is for people to feel free to post thoughts and questions without the fear of inviting ridicule and scorn.

It's not a whole lot different from my workplace - the people I supervise don't resent me unless they force me to exercise rank, and a couple have already admitted they were in the wrong. My job is defined, as it is here. Don't make me perform the ugly side of it, and all's well. I'm not a cop. I don't get bonuses for enforcing the rules. If we were all mature and considerate enough to police ourselves, then we wouldn't need mods!

But, human nature is way too opportunistic for that. We need to overpower and overcome, and some of us view conformity as weakness. Hence mods, cops, prisons, traffic lights.......

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Bluesape:

The status quo we would like is for people to feel free to post thoughts and questions without the fear of inviting ridicule and scorn.

And I'm with you on this.

When I was bitching about the rulesand that you Mods should not focus on rules enforcement as your main purpose...

...at that time my thoughts were pretty much inline with your comment above.

I was trying to say that most folks here, while sometimes a bit loud and occasionally argumentative...

...are overall quite capable of keeping themselves in checkdue mostly to the pressure applied by the membership...and not so much the Mods.

I was never saying that you don't need rules...just that you don't need to make them the main focus, as it can be a put-off...

and that often, with the crowd we have here, if someone is kinda' stepping a bit on some rule...they will usually pull back on their own given half a chance...

rather than needing to be immediately scolded for it.

I agree that we have a pretty good crowd here...and I would love to see you Mods spend more time on topics and such...which I think would be a better purpose for you.

The only problem I have with the non repeating animation is that if you aren't on that part of the page when it starts, you miss it...

I prefer the look of this one though.

I think now your banner looks like a banner.as it does fill out the space nicely from left to right.

And dont sweat the animationI think the single animation works quite well.

Most of the people will see it play through every time when they first hit the GP forumand thats good enough

the animation will have made its point without the need for repetition.

IMOthere is a certain classiness you archive when using subtlety and understatement in design.

The really ironic thing here, is that if everyone who has the strongest conflicts here were together in say, Miro's studio, or any soundstage for that matter, we'd prolly rock the place apart and have the time of our lives! :D To exchange ideas, experiences, and flat out jam some great tunes with our musical peers is what we live for, ain't it? I dare opine that the people with the most divergent attitudes are among the strongest players here. We're just like a bunch of grumpy old blackbelts nattering over forms and katas. I'd love to see this creativity we have inside us channeled in a positive manner.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Yes...more on-topic, involved threads/exchanges would fill out some of the occasional lulls that seem to bring out a lot of the more meaningless chatter...or where we end up looking for the little things that bug us.

Besides...it's been so damn hot...I don't know of anyone who hasn't been a bit irritable...

Originally posted by bass247:

This thread is bananas...B-A-N-A-N-A-S

:D

Well...it's nothing unusual...

...like a good roller coaster ride...the forums have their ups and downs...

...but in the end...your back where you started from...like nothing happened.

I've never been a big fan of trying to communicate in a quick, back and forth manner buy using only the written word...

...as all of the inflection and tone is lost...and often meanings are missed or misunderstood.

But...this is what we have...as it is probably quite unlikely that we could easily meet in my studio or someone else's place...

...and then talk about Santana being overrated or what's the hottest guitar shape...

...while having a few beers.

People generally hold back a bit when they are looking at each other eye-to-eye...and that's a good thing, as it gives everyone a bit more time to consider what it is they really want to say.

It's getting so we are all quite fast at typing out a response to a thread post...

...and maybe a bit less judicious...as no one is looking at us eye-to-eye?

I gotta' go get some sleep...early day tomorrow... :wave:

Archived