Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Essential Holdsworth

spiral light

What is a good intro to Allan Holdsworth for someone coming from a more rock approach (ie not a big jazz fan). I've seen clips of him playing (Carvin dvd & youtube.com) but am unsure where to commit for that first cd. Any helpers out there???
www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jean-Luc-Ponty "Enigmatic Ocean"

Holdsworth isn't the only guitarist on it (he does have several notable solos on it), but the whole disc cooks. A great, high energy album for somebody coming from a Rock background.

Ponty's best and highly recommended. :thu:

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

This is a teaser......Gong-Expresso with Pierre Moerlen on drums. Great album, excellent Holdsworth.....waiting for a CD re-release of this, have it on vinyl.

Tracks:

1. Expresso

2. Night Illusion

3. Percolations: Part 1

4. Percolations: Part 2

5. Shadows Of

6. Esnuria

7. Mireille

Personnel:

Mireille Bauer: Marimba, Vibraphone, Glock, Toms

Allan Holdsworth: Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Violin, Pedal Steel Guitar

Didier Malherbe: Tenor Sax, Flute

Benoit Moerlen: Vibra

Pierre Moerlen: Drums, Glock, Vibra, Marimba, Timpani

Francis Moze: Fretless Bass, Gong, Acoustic & Electric Piano

Originally posted by Fumblyfingers:

This is a teaser......Gong-Expresso with Pierre Moerlen on drums. Great album, excellent Holdsworth.....waiting for a CD re-release of this, have it on vinyl.

It's been out for YEARS on CD...where have you been? :D I've had it a long time.

It was only called Expresso in America...Gazeuse everwhere else.

Gong - Gazuese

It's also a great album. :thu:

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Originally posted by Justus A. Picker:

The first UK album, which featured Holdsworth, Bruford, Jobson and Wetton.

I remember seeing them at the Santa Monica Civic when they were on the concert tour for that album. WOW Holdsworth was the most colorfully expressive player. I could care less whether he plays fast or not, he has such a unique, advanced and expressive style regardless.

I think I preferred those Bill Bruford albums that the Billster mentioned though -- that lineup with Jeff Berlin and Dave Stewart was such a high point for the style of music IMO.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

The Bruford stuff is great, but I don't think Holdsworth plays a chord EVER on those albums.

I.O.U is my favorite record for his outstanding chordal approach. His soloing is also unreal. That is my fave period.

The Tony Williams stuff is great too. Hearing him with an SG and a 50-watt Marshall is a real treat.

As for his new stuff, I always dug Wardenclyffe Tower and Secrets

I like them all, but I've got strongest emotions from Atavachron and Wardenclyffe Tower...maybe, but right, also I.O.U., Road Games, Metal Fatigue (Home is astoundingly beautiful, and what to say of the slow chords in Unmerry Go Round?) kick serious ass...

I have to say that also Sixteen Men of Tain is wonderful, maybe Gary Novak is the perfect drummer for AH...

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

Originally posted by Billster:

The two Bruford CD's Feels Good to Me and One of a Kind.

and the stuff with Tony Williams Lifetime, Believe It and Million Dollar Legs.

Road Games is probably the most classic solo album, Metal Fatigue right up there too.

What he said.The early stuff,even though it was miles ahead still to this day,wasn't quite there yet.Soft machine for example.Throw the UK record in there and you got it.Devil take the hindmost is one of the great solos of all time.Because of that i got into Coltrane.

Originally posted by Fumblyfingers:

Tracks:

1. Expresso

2. Night Illusion

3. Percolations: Part 1

4. Percolations: Part 2

5. Shadows Of

6. Esnuria

7. Mireille

Personnel:

Mireille Bauer: Marimba, Vibraphone, Glock, Toms

Allan Holdsworth: Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Violin, Pedal Steel Guitar

Didier Malherbe: Tenor Sax, Flute

Benoit Moerlen: Vibra

Pierre Moerlen: Drums, Glock, Vibra, Marimba, Timpani

Francis Moze: Fretless Bass, Gong, Acoustic & Electric Piano

Its available Fumbles.They should have it at Ameoba for mid-price.

There was one where he did Beatles covers. I thought that might be cool. I was wrong. He was using the Synthaxe. I was terribly terribly wrong.
I think you're a little bit mixed up. He does "Norwegian Wood" on None to Soon but plays guitar on it if I recall. Then he appeared on a compilation called Come Together - A Guitar Tribute to the Beatles and played "Michelle," but on guitar. Neither are notable or anything, but certainly not horrible.

Originally posted by GuitarPlayerSoCal:

It's been out for YEARS on CD...where have you been? :D I've had it a long time.

It was only called Expresso in America...Gazeuse everwhere

Great news...thanks for letting me know. I actually bought it overseas, years ago....but it was in an import store. Everytime I havew looked for it, of course I Googled Expresso....Awesome!

Originally posted by AlChuck:

There was one where he did Beatles covers. I thought that might be cool. I was wrong. He was using the Synthaxe. I was terribly terribly wrong.
I think you're a little bit mixed up. He does "Norwegian Wood" on None to Soon but plays guitar on it if I recall. Then he appeared on a compilation called Come Together - A Guitar Tribute to the Beatles and played "Michelle," but on guitar. Neither are notable or anything, but certainly not horrible.
Well at least I was able to spread a bit of libelous misinformation there. :( Aargh, Sorry people.

I could swear that around '96 I was in a record shop (in So. Cal right around where Alan was living at the time) and ran across a real kinda homeade cheap looking CD of him playing all Beatles stuff. With the Synthaxe.

Not finding it anywhere online though so I must've just been on some huge loads of crack or something! :eek:

I've edited my original post to remove my slander.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Originally posted by Bejeeber:

I could swear that around '96 I was in a record shop (in So. Cal right around where Alan was living at the time)...

Top 10 record store? :D

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Archived