Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Noobie Question: Guitar into PC --> How to?

Supergrover1981

Hi Gang,

I've been messing around in Ableton Live with Keyboards/vocals/sax & (mic'd) acoustic guitar, and I'd really love to start messing around on my PC with my electric. I don't play a whole lot of electric and my practice amp is truly, overwhelmingly terrible, so I'm hoping to hook my geetar directly up to my PC & use amp-modelling VSTs instead.

I've only been doing this whole PC recording thing for a month and I'm still fairly clueless on the hardware side of things, so if someone could give me some advice, I'd be really really appreciative. What do I need to feed an electric guitar into a PC?

At the moment, I'm running a Delta 1010LT soundcard - it has 2 XLR inputs w/preamps. There aren't any 1/4" cable inputs on the soundcard.

Cheers gang - lotsa thanks in advance. Apologies if the above doesn't make too much sense - haven't slept for 40 hours. :D

- JB

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go to the dollar store and buy yourself a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor. Run the guitar through effects (if you want) and then directly into either the "line in" or the "Mic In", depending on your card.

Don't forget to select the "line in" as your recording source (if that's what you use) by:

-Double click the speaker icon in your systray

-Click on options

-Click on recording

-Click "ok"

-Make sure "line in" is selected (or whatever you are using)

I like to have a stereo effect (like a multi effect pedal) before I go into the computer so that I can go in, in stereo, instead of in mono.

There are a ton of more expensive ways, but that's the easiest way.

If you need any help at all, just ask.

I've been playing with this for a long time now. I'm sure your not concerned with these details, but I like to blab...

Here's 8 years of trying to get a decent sound out of a computer.

Guitar -> Preamp (ART DST-4)

Preamp -> EQ (Furman dual 31-band)

EQ -> Sound Card (Line In Soundblaster X-Fi)

Sound Card -> Comp Program (Native Instruments Guitar Rig 2)

Soundcard Output (Stereo) -> Power Amp (Marshall 80/80)

Power Amp -> Cabinet (Marshall 4x12 wired stereo/mono)

I know there's some overkill in that chain, but it's the best way I've found to use a computer to sup'-up your tone. (and I'm getting some pretty killer tone from it!)

What a horrible night to have a curse.

The cleanest way you could get the guitar in I think will be with a direct box. The guitar cable plugs in to the DI box and a mic cable goes from it to your XLR input. You would feed bass guitar in the same way.

Then you could use amp modeling software in your DAW to alter the sound.

Here is Behringer DI Box. It is cheap and mine sounds good. I got mine for $25 from GC...can't beat it.

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--BEHDI100

I run my guitar into my effects, then straight into my old 4 track, on which I record, then mix it into Audacity on the PC.

Works for the things I want to do.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Archived