Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hendrix, Clapton, SRV... and Wylde?

Hound Dog

Originally posted by Virtual Jim:

I think one requirement of being a guitar god should be to expand the guitar vocabulary. Yes, I'm aware that guys like Clapton, Satch, Johnson qualify for the title even though they did not do this.

My two cents at least.

I'm not going to go tit-for-tat, but Satriani certainly expanded the vocabulary with his scale choices and the sonic trickery he brought to the table. Listen to his first LP, Not of this Earth, and to the stuff on his retrospective double CD Timepieces.

-----------------------------------

What struck me in reading the new interview was his statement about the timeless nature of music. Well written music never wears out, regardless of style. You can play music written years or even centuries ago, and it is both connected to the past and present in your life at that moment. I don't care for Zakk's playing, but that is a great insight.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zakk is a little more then pinched harmonics

you need to listen to Black lable he has a lot of good solo stuff and he is a good player.

Is he a God? no! Nobodys a God

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

A good Zakk CD to listen to is Black Label Society's Hangover Music Volume VI.

Very inspired music with lots of great hooks and soulful singing, great arrangements, great players, etc. Much more tasteful than other BLS CDs I've heard.

I agree with those that mentioned that Zakk and Dime were pretty much the only players at the forefront of the rock scene that carried the lead playing torch with a recognizable tone and style. I don't consider him a guitar god but he certainly has a strong impact on the guitar playing youth out there.

Archived