Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hendrix, Clapton, SRV... and Wylde?

Hound Dog

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aw, he ain't too bad. And, he's one of the guys who kept the flame lit for virtuosic lead playing all through the entire anti-solo binge rock went on for so long. Give ol' Zakk a break.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Hound Dog:

I was just surprised that the way the interviewer treated the subject matter.

I'm not surprised anymore when I see the ultra hype that GP mag tends to sling around for an interview.

But it's still a good mag despite that IMO.

Heck, I'll probably read it fom cover to cover again this month. Well except for the Zak Wylde bit. His 80's shred style complete with all the wide nanny goat vibratoed pinch harmonics doesn't do it for me.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Originally posted by thanny XIII:

Zakk has no integrety. He endorses literally everything. Meh!

That's the only reason I know of him. The ZW guitars and now wah peddle (if I remember correctly).
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

You know what I think about comparisons to SRV. I do have respect for Hendrix and others for their influence on SRV, but I believe that SRV played the blues in a more sincere, heart felt way than anyone I have ever heard. Hence my Avatar. Clapton I'm not so hot for...though much of my family is. He's just not my thing, but his is great for what he is.
"I wanted to play saxophone, but all I could get were a few squeaks. So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too."---SRV

What we often forget is that we all have our heroes & others can pick theirs, too.

As a fan of R&B derived music, Zakk Wylde does little for me but for hard rock/metal-heads, he's up there w/Randy Rhoads.

& as for Wylde's alledged willingness to endorse anything...need I bring back last year's posting of Clapton announcing to the world in 1966 that the Beach Boys Pet Sounds album was "everything I ever liked about music, all rolled into one!" ? :freak::rolleyes::D

Originally posted by Picker:

Aw, he ain't too bad. And, he's one of the guys who kept the flame lit for virtuosic lead playing all through the entire anti-solo binge rock went on for so long. Give ol' Zakk a break.

I agree. At least he takes the guitar seriously and always tries to improve on it.

You also have to give the guy some credit for getting a gig with Ozzy Osbourne at such a young age.

I think "No Rest for the Wicked" is one of his best works. I still listen to it all the time.

Originally posted by Guitar55:

Picker that may be true, but in terms of impact and public awareness, I don't think most people have even heard of him. Not that popularity is a criteria for musicianship, but when compared to the other names mentioned....

Yeah, but he ain't been around as long as any of them either. GIve him time. He may never achieve the industry stature of Hendrix, Clapton, or Stevie Ray, but only time will tell. Everybody gotta start somewhere...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I think Wylde's more of a guitar god than SRV. Before I start a flame war, hear me out. I think one requirement of being a guitar god should be to expand the guitar vocabulary. Yes, I'm aware that guys like Clapton, Satch, Johnson qualify for the title even though they did not do this. But I think if the player did that, they should be held higher than "second hander" guitarists. Make any sense?

SRV really didn't expand the guitar vocabulary. All he did was introduce the blues to a new generation of guitar players. George Thorogood was doing the same thing a few years before. SRV was just a damn, damn, damn good blues guitarist. I think he relied too much on what Jimi did 20 years prior, but that doesn't take away any of his chops.

Meanwhile, Wylde has expanded the guitar vocabulary, if only amongst metal heads, and if only for those damn pinch harmonics he uses way, way too often. Bands like Unearth and God Forbid have those ingrained into their style now (thankfully more tastefully). Meanwhile, Wylde's a damn, damn, damn good metal guitarist.

My two cents at least.

Im not a Zakk fanatic but to alot of guys younger than me He really does mean the world.To his credit he gives props to players like Frank Marino,John Sykes,Danny Gatton,Jerry Donahue and a host of others.I know for a fact that a lot of younger players have looked into these guys because of Zakk.I also got a hell of alot more respect for him when I saw his lesson here on the GP tv.The guy can play better than I ever will.What I don't like about him is the over the top macho shit.Yes,you are a badd ass and can beat the hell out of most people.Get over it Zakk.Also the whole thing with having booze in every picture you see of him.Not being a wimp here because I drink but I know that I have done alot of stupid shit because of it.And it really dosn't help your playing or anything else in your life.As for Clapton,regardless of some of the stuff he did after Cream,without him you would not have Sabbath not to mention the influence he had on his contemporaries like Hendrix,Page,Beck,West,Bill Conners,Van Halen,Rush and a ton more.

Originally posted by Virtual Jim:

Meanwhile, Wylde has expanded the guitar vocabulary, if only amongst metal heads, and if only for those damn pinch harmonics he uses way, way too often.

But that style of using pinch harmonics was a tired metal cliche before Zak was on the scene. Wondering then how Zak expanded the vocabulary.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

he'd only been playing like 4 yrs from what i read when he got the ozzy gig

that in itself would be quite an accomplishment

a constant thread in most articles/interviews is his incredibal work ethic

should read his tribute to his dad in the 1919 c.d.: dear dad......ended with "i love you so much", your son, zak

like his music or not...thats all subjective

what he wrote says something good to me about the guy

also read where he said his parents gave him his first l.p. for a birthday

he'd been lusting over it & saving for it

he was so touched by the gift he wept

believe he's still maried to his first wife

i can't say that & i ain't even a star

Archived