Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So I picked up a new guitar...

Ricardo.

My New guitar

The beauty about eBay is that I can resell it at the next lowest price the other bidder bid at (unless I get unlucky and my auction gets overlooked). Anyways, I didn't expect to pick it up but I saw an opportunity and I took it. The only thing I think I won't like about it will be the fact that it's a bolt-on neck :/

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Darklava:

good score! is that a d-tuna of some sort?

Yeah exactly. My friend has one of those thingees behind the bridge on a similar guitar actually. You're supposed to be able to flick it and switch easily between standard and drop-d tuning. It's cool when it works but it doesn't always stay in tune so reliably. Either way enjoy the new guitar, it looks sweet.
Then you'll never hear surf music again...

The guitar came in today; and it's GREAT! I used to have a higher-end LP copy that I picked up and sold on eBay and this guitar is on the level of that one (save for the infinite sustain that the LP had). I finally have the Marshall/Slash sound and power in the bridge and the middle position is very sweet sounding (a la Stray Cat Strut). I haven't used the De-tuner much yet but I have experimented with using it as a whammy bar effect (you can control how fast you detune and how much). Woo! New guitar :D

$40 Shipping in the US? I'd say he made some extra cash on that one. That sounds like a great price though. The pickup alone is $100 at Musicians Friend.

Godins have bolt on necks and they have tons of sustain. Most fenders are bolt ons. Jackson, too. Whats the big deal?

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by caprae:

$40 Shipping in the US? I'd say he made some extra cash on that one.

Holy cow are you serious? I've sold several guitars on eBay and I've never been able to get one professionally packed and shipped in the US for under $40. I suppose you could just stick it in a box and hope it doesn't get damaged and then maybe it would only cost half that, but I'd never send off one of mine for less than $40. Having a claim with UPS or Fedex and having them tell you your packing was not good enough is a genuine problem. I think the shipping was very fair.

Just differences in opinions I suppose.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Starcaster:

My New guitar

The beauty about eBay is that I can resell it at the next lowest price the other bidder bid at (unless I get unlucky and my auction gets overlooked). Anyways, I didn't expect to pick it up but I saw an opportunity and I took it. The only thing I think I won't like about it will be the fact that it's a bolt-on neck :/

Wow! Nice find. What a price. How could you go wrong? Let us know how you like it.

bbach

Originally posted by Bbach bob robert:

Originally posted by caprae:

$40 Shipping in the US? I'd say he made some extra cash on that one.

Holy cow are you serious? I've sold several guitars on eBay and I've never been able to get one professionally packed and shipped in the US for under $40. I suppose you could just stick it in a box and hope it doesn't get damaged and then maybe it would only cost half that, but I'd never send off one of mine for less than $40. Having a claim with UPS or Fedex and having them tell you your packing was not good enough is a genuine problem. I think the shipping was very fair.

Just differences in opinions I suppose.

Really! I usually get a set of double boxes from a local guitar store for free and send them FedEx Ground & Insured and come in under $20 for an electric. I pack them exactly as they come from any of the mail order places like Musicians Friend. Never had a problem. But I could add the extra $20, though.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by PeeMonkey:

Yea it depends if u have it packed already or not, most people let UPS do the packaging, which they do a horrible job at and overprice you.

Therefore ends up being 40$ I guess.

I never have UPS do any packing. I always take my guitars to a little shipping business where this fella does the finest packing job I've ever seen for about $15 - $20 or so. I don't find a $40 shipping bill out of line at all. Considering that it involves a trip across town, gas, time, packing material (even if you do it yourself). The seller didn't make any money on that one. You can spend $20 on a box and some bubble wrap. $40 is very acceptable for a guitar shipment. Carvin charged me $19.95 for shipping and sent the thing in nothing but a cardboard box. I was totally amazed that it arrived unscathed. Wow. I think the next time I order from Carvin I'm going to have a shipper pick it up from Carvin and pack it for me. I hate damage claims.

Another thing to remember about shipping from companies like Carvin is that they negotiate a discount from the shipping companies, often upwards of 40-60% of the rate a person would pay at a UPS or FedEx store. A private seller may not have access to those discounts when selling his personal guitar.

I guess I've lost enough money on shipping when selling on eBay that I no longer hesitate to charge enough to cover my costs of getting something to someone safely. If I'm looking at a guitar and the seller wants $40, I find that to be very reasonable. I do expect nice packing for that money though.

But, this is all going way off topic and in the end, Starcaster, you got what looks like a nice deal on a nice guitar! Congrats on that. I sure wouldn't let the shipping charge take away my enthusiasm. That guitar could have sold for a few more dollars easily.

bbach

Archived