Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

horseshoe pickups

comacoda

Anybody making these? I did some looking around and didn't find a source for them although I found a few custom guitars and Rickenbackers fitted with them. I am thinking about adding one to my Delta 6. It would require some fab but would be super cool as a bridge pickup. I watched a lap steel video yesterday and the instructors horseshoe equipped steel sounded killer.
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, comacoda, are those pictured in your post designed for the strings to pass through the inside of the horseshoe magnets, or over the top of 'em similarly to most other magnetic pickups? They don't look to have an awful lot of room in there... (Maybe it's "just the picture", know what I mean?)

I had the use of an ancient Supro lap-steel that had just such a monstrous wrap-around magnetic pickup; that thing had a FAT, FAT tone! Absolutely huge.

Rick Turner has made some guitars that used the vintage-style horseshoe magnet pickups, which surround the strings as I described above. I'd bet that you could either buy some from him, or he could direct you to where you could get some...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks for the lead Caevin, thats just what I'm looking for. I sent him a message... I have a feeling that making a base plate to attatch to the piece above the strings and bridge would be best, I think I could mount the pickup upside down on the base plate just ahead of the bridge. Any suggestions? Heres what I'm dealing with:

http://www.apollonmusic.com/eastwood/img/Delta6/delta_csB.jpg

O.K., you've got a "spider"-bridge assembly under there, huh? Not a "biscuit"?

If the latter- the "biscuit"- you might have enough room under there for a more "conventional" installation of the pickup. But almost certainly not if it's the "spider" design.

I don't see any reason that you couldn't mount a horseshoe-stylee that way, suspended upside-down from above the cover-plate, although clearance between the magnet and the cover-plate beneath the strings might be tricky, maybe requiring a hole cut in the cover. If they touched, not only would there be a good likelihood of unpleasant, trashy sympathic rattling and buzzing, if the cover's stamped-steel (and I think they usually are, aren't they?), it could possibly even be amplified through the pickup, as well...

It'd be a big, honkin' protrusion, too, really blocking your picking-hand on top of the existing obstacle of the cover over the bridge. And you might have to modify your case to be able to close it, too.

And if you can still hang with all that, the cover-plate still might prove to weaken with unintentional flexing and stressing over time where the pickup's bracket attaches.

I'm not trying to discourage you here at all, by the way, just trying to forsee any possible troubles to look out for ahead of time!

Originally posted by comacoda:

Yes Geoff, thats exactly what I'm looking for.

Well, I'm afraid there were never many of these on this side of the Atlantic, in the first place.

I remember seeing something like that in the Glasgow Flea Market (The Barras) quite some time ago, but it's too long ago to be sure - it might just have been a pup off a Ricky bass.

However, I'll keep an eye on Ebay UK for you.

Reading Caevan's thoughts, maybe it'd be better to get the alternative resonator/bridge assembly and store the original safely, then things can always be returned to original state - I know StewMac does all the bits.

Just checked Ebay UK - no luck, sorry.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

It's a fairly standard format resonator with a P90 fitted (nice!).

If you've never tried a resonator, you should.

The majority seem to be set up for slide, but they can be played normally - bright & brash, usually.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys, my free wifi moved so I've been out of commission. Thanks for the suggestions and cautions, I'm in love with this guitar so I will let the idea grow. Some fine day this guitar will get a proper electric bridge pickup. I'm flying to AZ this summer to visit the fam and pick up my old mans strat, I think it will tide me over for a while. :) Thanks guys.

Over on the Big Road Blues forum, where nearly everybody's got a reso, there's been lots of discussion about these things. The general consensus from Resolectric players seems to be that you get the best sound from a blend of the magnetic pickup and miking the acoustic sound, or with a blend of the acoustic pickup and the magnetic one, with an EQ ahead of the amp being a very desirable accessory.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Y'know, your guitar is a prime candidate for Dave Wendler's (a.k.a. "Dave 251" here on the Guitar Player Forum) proprietory Electrocoustic "MagPi" system- an excellent sounding, fully passive combination of the neck-pickup and an "acoustic" pickup concealed in the bridge, with a blend-pot. (I believe that it could work with your existing neck-pickup.) It would be a worthy upgrade! He's made systems that use dual magnetic pickups, too, in case you ever want to add another "soapbar" at the bridge...

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif Dave\'s "Pickup system redesign"-thread

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif "electroCoustic "CJ" model"-mp3

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif Wendler Instruments-website

Archived