Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Starting a band

Hey everyone - Well, I´ve gotten to the point where I don´t want to wait any longer for a good opportunity to fall in my lap, and I have decided to start my own group. It´ll be the first time that I have done so - bassists usually are the ones getting the calls, not making them, so this will be a new experience. Anyway, what advice would you give to someone who´s starting a group from scratch? (It´s kind of a latin-flamenco-fusion group I want to start) Thanks -- -- Jimmy

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone can start a band...there's no law that says bass players can't. First off...the best bit of advice I've heard...so true... To paraphrase Ty Tabor (guitarist from King's X)...if you have a choice between a phenomenal player who's a bit difficult to get along with, and an okay player who's really cool, ALWAYS go with the cool guy. I'd also say have everyone agree on what the groundrules are (stuff like how often to rehearse, showing up late, drinking, how the pay will be split) up front...and how any infringements will be dealt with. I keep thinking of more...one of the important groundrules is how rigid you want to be with your format. You want a Latin-fusion band. Does that mean that if someone in your band wants to do, say, a blues tune, you won't do it...that sort of thing...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I like working with guys who pull their own weight. Have their own gear Have their own car Help set up and tear down You don't want to be the guy who comes early and leaves late just to wind up mic cables every time The cool guy Tedster mentioned is going to bring out the best in the other band members and make everyone look good. Like Magic Johnson used to do for the Lakers. Good Luck my friend.

I have to say that finding people that share your passion, drive and vision is paramount. Be sure you have a clear purpose and that everybody's on the same page as you are. Personalities play a HUGE roll in groups. Be sure everybody can get along. Rick

Yeah, what everybody said. It's imperative that everybody pulls their weight and agrees to certain ground rules. Beyond that, it's all right if you argue with each other sometimes but only if the end result of the argument is beneficial to the music. I agree with what Ted said about choosing the cool guy over the phenom who's a pain to deal with. But you don't want to go to the other extreme either and hire somebody who's really a great guy but not a very good musician. You will ultimately be very frustrated by that situation too. More than anything I would let the music be your guide. Make sure that everybody REALLY knows and understands the kind of music you want to play, and there will be far less headache. What a lot of people mistake for "ego battles" are often simply disagreements in musical taste. I'm very easygoing in my band and willing to play pretty much whatever the guys want, and they're willing to play whatever I want - but that's only because we all like the same things. If you stuck me in a fusion band I would suddenly become "the difficult bitch." :D When the fact is I would have no business being in that band in the first place. This seems like a rather obvious point, but it's one that a lot of people overlook. I don't want somebody who "can play any style" and happens to be able to play the style that I like - I want somebody who lives and breathes the kind of music that I live and breathe. And it's amazing how few problems there are when you find those people. Everybody often "knows" intuitively what to play where, because [i]they really understand the music.[/i] And any disagreements you do have, tend to fuel the creativity rather than stifle it. The other thing is to make sure you know what you want your role in the band to be, and spell it out for anybody coming in. If you're the leader and you don't want to do anyone else's songs, say so. If you want it to be more of a democratic band, but still have the final say, again say so. If you intend to do some unpaid showcase gigs on occasion, say so. And spell out what your goals are - a record deal? High paying gigs? Purely for art? It's amazing the different preconceptions people have when they join a band, and most of them are not really "wrong" just "different," so it's imperative to make sure everybody's on the same page that way.

All good advice. Your chosen genre is unique so I'd add, make a cassette of the songs you intend to do, and either give or play it for all your prospective bandmates, make sure its what they want to do too. And ask what songs [i]of that genre[/i] that THEY'D like to do; I think that'd kill potential problems early on.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Well, yeah, what Lee said, too, about not having your best bud who's a cool guy...but his technique, uh...needs work... But, thinking back to my formative years...I wasted so much time trying to get who I thought were the best players into bands. Another rule that should be obvious is if, as a bass player, you have a drummer you like playing with, you've got your core right there. You can add other players and let it evolve. Heck, (and I hate to use The Beatles again) but the fabs had an ever-evolving lineup until around 1962 or so. So get the band going, but be open to the fact that if someone's not working out, they're not working out. If your core (you and your drummer or whoever) are hot, there'll be other musicians more in tune with what you're doing lining up waiting for a shot.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Jimmy Foster: [b]Hey everyone - Well, I´ve gotten to the point where I don´t want to wait any longer for a good opportunity to fall in my lap, and I have decided to start my own group. It´ll be the first time that I have done so - bassists usually are the ones getting the calls, not making them, so this will be a new experience. Anyway, what advice would you give to someone who´s starting a group from scratch? (It´s kind of a latin-flamenco-fusion group I want to start) Thanks -- -- Jimmy[/b][/quote]ahahahaha! Get a good name... Hey if the name is any good maybe some of the cats from titos' old outfit willl jam with ya'.. you just don't never know... but seriously folkes.. you need a band and a place to play out and a date to play the spot.. get the band together,find a bar or event and plan a date. WORK to the DATE. have ONE boss and listen to him..Play the DATE/SPOT.Get paid. soak up the GLORY.. NOW HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART!.>>>"Repeat"<<<... Good luck.. that is all... P.S. as you were.. that is all for real.. starrrrtin' NOW!

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

[quote]Originally posted by arellspencer: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Jimmy Foster: [b]Hey everyone - Well, I´ve gotten to the point where I don´t want to wait any longer for a good opportunity to fall in my lap, and I have decided to start my own group. It´ll be the first time that I have done so - bassists usually are the ones getting the calls, not making them, so this will be a new experience. Anyway, what advice would you give to someone who´s starting a group from scratch? (It´s kind of a latin-flamenco-fusion group I want to start) Thanks -- -- Jimmy[/b][/quote]ahahahaha! Get a good name... Hey if the name is any good maybe some of the cats from titos' old outfit willl jam with ya'.. you just don't never know... but seriously folkes.. you need a band and a place to play out and a date to play the spot.. get the band together,find a bar or event and plan a date. WORK to the DATE. have ONE boss and listen to him..Play the DATE/SPOT.Get paid. soak up the GLORY.. NOW HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART!.>>>"Repeat"<<<... Good luck.. that is all... P.S. as you were.. that is all for real.. starrrrtin' NOW![/b][/quote]That doesn't even make sense..... :confused: :rolleyes:

I usually don't do "me, too" posts, but I just wanted to say that you've gotten a bunch of good advice, and would heartily agree with Lee's proposal to define the roles in the band at the outset. Gosh darn, Lee's always sensible. Make sure you do what she suggests now!!!!!!!! :)

[quote]Originally posted by StrongBad: [b]Do you need a guitar player? I can do it all! Check out the link in my sig.[/b][/quote]WAY COOL MOVIE man! ahahaha! way cool.. I was like woW man and then I went oh WOW MAN!

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

[quote]Originally posted by StrongBad: [b] [url=http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html]this[/url] one is much more better![/b][/quote]TRUE MIRTH. Thanks strong bad.. you are my new hero.. TROGDOR rules man! ahahahaha.. this is worth the load.. I like the sound track. that music is going around and around in my head.. TROGDOR!!!! yahhhh! i think I am haveing a brain embolism from the glavinosity of TROGDOR! his voice is funny.. thanks again strongie. LOL ahhhhh...

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Hey strongbad! ahahaha! I was just mindin' my own bizzness and that old TROGDOR came a callin' and I just busted out laffin'.. I had to come and tell ya'' I like strongbads voice.. it's funny when he burns the good drawin'kids' work cause he is jealous.. the way he says it when he burns it up is too funny... I see a saturday cartoon like that. it is really funny.. on many levels. kind of grown up nonsense.. me likey. can I be somebody? you know like a character in troggys world? I could be oh I don't know like a ???? I see your artwork as; like the NEW and WAY COOLER SOUTHPARK... with great music.. and characters.. like??? and real plots and subplots and lots of troggyisms... Troggys world.. comin' soon to a theater near you...

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

I think one of the things that made the Beatles great, other than the fact that they were all phenomenal musicians and George & Paul were such talented songwriters, was GEORGE MARTIN. By having someone who can criticize the band in a positive way, as well as to be a great musical influence, writer, conductor, arranger - but not actually be a member of the band - what a wonderful thing. Yes, I realize that George Martin was often thought of as the fifth Beatle. But, he wasn't a Beatle. Also, having someone - not a bandmember - manage the finances and book the gigs can be (not always, necessarily) - but CAN BE a positive step in keeping egos at bay. Keeping a band together, and happy, is a lot of work. You need to do a reality check often to be certain that you all have the same goals, like the music in your set lists, and stay focused on why you want to continue putting in the hard work that makes a good band become a GREAT band. To become a GREAT band requires much discipline. Unfortunately, too many folks just aren't going to put the work into it to make it more than a garage jam. It's a sad fact of band-life. But, for all the work that is required, the payoff comes after the gig - when you KNOW that there was magic produced when everybody put their hearts and soul into the performance - AND THE AUDIENCE GOT IT! It's a natural high! I've been playing music all my life and I still get goosebumps when everyone's got their parts just right and the magic happens. It's a wonderful thing. :cool: Tom
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Incorporate the band, hire an ace accountant, and file IRS returns!!! Set a percentage, right off of the top of earnings, into an escrow fund to be used for instrument repairs, upgrades, touring, and band purchases. Plan expenses for touring; transportation, travel expenses, lodging, etc. and allow these expenses to be taken from BAND funds and not expected to be paid by individuals. Keep a ledger of expenses paid out to weigh against earnings. New equipment need not be such a challenge if the bookkeeping is done adequately; you don't have to show ALL PROFIT when you are reinvesting the earnings. On another note, whatever you do, get a good soundman.... There's nothing worse than hearing a kissbutt band that's trashed out by a lousey sound man. I'll walk out on even the best bands if the sound is distorted or unbalanced. It annoys the hell out of me and distracts from the music.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

[quote]Originally posted by Anifa: [b] On another note, whatever you do, get a good soundman.... [/b][/quote]...What She Said! Of COURSE you can perform without a dedicated sound guy (person). But I agree with Anifa - having someone out in the audience listening and tweaking the mix for the best possible sound is a blessing. It can make or break a performance! ...besides, there's gotta be SOMEBODY who can turn down the guitar!! :D
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Anifa has good advice, but she's way ahead of the curve. You will probably be a couple of years away from that: *Finding the right musicians *developing your material *landing some gigs and getting some experience. That's assuming, of course, that your band gets that far before: *the drummer gets moved to second or third shift at his job. *the singer gets pissed and quits. *the guitarist's wife/girlfriend says the band takes too much time so he has to quit. Here's my advice... DO NOT DO NOT pool your funds to buy a PA. Most bands don't last more than a year or two, and sombody is going to get screwed out of their financial contribution. Have each member buy some equipment, and let it be their's to keep. Or just go and buy the PA yourself -or find someone who has one. I'm tell'n ya, these things can get really nasty!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote] Anifa has good advice, but she's way ahead of the curve. You will probably be a couple of years away from that: [/quote]Super 8 I'm not too entirely ahead of the game; as these things need to be discussed initially when forming the band. All things must be clear as to the direction a band is heading; to lay out a plan first and foremost will suggest dedication and professionalism... and it will CYA. If you get a band that works together and you have touring in mind; you may find that all members may not be willing to go the extra mile. Back to square one when the band falls apart due to conflicts in interest. It's actually harder then because you had an energy working and you'll have a precidence set for the next guy. Lee Flyer was pretty much on target with some of her suggestions. You don't want to spend time and energy developing a band that plays well, sounds well, and gets along together to find that travel is restricted or someone has no interest in moving to original materials; or other issues. Decisions in the division of moneys is an absolute must prior to pouring your heart and soul into the development of your band. You will have writers inside the band, more than likely, and it will need to be determined how they will be compensated for their additional contributions. Also, if one band member assumes the responsibilities of manager and booking agent; what will his cut of the pie be? These, among other things, are topics for discussion and assignment. These exact same topics are reasons for many goods bands falling apart after the fact; everyone thinks they should get equal pay for unequal contributions. Many bands don't want to pay outsiders to perform the business details, but they want someone in the band to do all the extras for no extra pay. This is a part of how you avoid the break ups that you mentioned, because if everyone knows the game plan prior to wanting to play; there's no hard feelings. As far as sound equipment... it would be my suggestion to incorporate a professional sound man as a part of the band... He should have his OWN equipment initially. I "HIGHLY" recommend incorporating the band and setting a fund up for the repairs and purchase of equipment; this will help to keep the band from becoming the "STARVING ARTIST" per se. Working tax laws to one's advantage has great benefits. Especially when touring, you will be able to write off percentages of band equipment, business equipment (such as computers and etc.), promotional materials (such as web sites, brochures, advertisements, and etc.), meals, gas, lodging expenses, equipment repairs... both band and vehicle, vehicle purchases, hauling expenses, and etc. If you are just seeking to be a weekend warrior that has a day job to cover expenses, perhaps it's not necessary to worry about having a solid plan because you have a dependable income from other sources. However, to a professional band who's main source of income is derived from playing gigs and CD sales; professionalism is an absolute must and downtime of equipment is work without pay; travel expenses would be out of pocket without taking advantage of itemized deductions.... It's all in how serious you are about making music a career.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Archived