Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

nitro finish stain removal

rockitsauce

I just bought a LP studio in classic white and it has some purplish looking stains on it and wonder if any of you have ever heard of any way to buff them out or products you can use safely on the nitrocelulose finishes. This is my first Gibson and oh my, those pickups are to die for. In fact, I like them better than my 81/85 EMGs that I have in my Jackson or maybe thats just today that I feel that way. I got it today and played for about a half hour before I had to go to work and had to really restrain myself not to call in to noodle all day. I also have an acoustic that got some dark stains on it from the case and I havent done anything about that either.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, congrats on your new guitar!

I, too, went from using a "super-Strat"-stylee with active EMG's as my main axe to a pair of Les Pauls with passive, more traditional Gibson-type pickups (humbuckers on one, and P-90 "soapbars" on the other). While I do like certain things about the active EMG's, overall I prefer the feel and response and tone of the passive, traditional pickups. Plus that shorter scale-length on your Les Paul (as opposed to the likely 25.5" scale on your Jackson) has got to make a difference there, too.

O.K.- your "stains" sound like finish "fish-eye"; are they more visible at some angles to the light, than at others? Kinda bluish-purplish haze-like? If so, that's probably "fish-eye".

Stewart-MacDonald has materials and instructions for removal of "fisheye", if that is what you're dealing with here.

Guitar ReRanch has a search-base and a guitar-refinishing forum that you can tap, as well as finishing/refinishing products that may be of use here.

Bestaluck, let us know how things work out for you, keep us posted! Before-and-after pics, if possible!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

Hey, congrats on your new guitar!

I, too, went from using a "super-Strat"-stylee with active EMG's as my main axe to a pair of Les Pauls with passive, more traditional Gibson-type pickups (humbuckers on one, and P-90 "soapbars" on the other). While I do like certain things about the active EMG's, overall I prefer the feel and response and tone of the passive, traditional pickups. Plus that shorter scale-length on your Les Paul (as opposed to the likely 25.5" scale on your Jackson) has got to make a difference there, too.

O.K.- your "stains" sound like finish "fish-eye"; are they more visible at some angles to the light, than at others? Kinda bluish-purplish haze-like? If so, that's probably "fish-eye".

Stewart-MacDonald has materials and instructions for removal of "fisheye", if that is what you're dealing with here.

Guitar ReRanch has a search-base and a guitar-refinishing forum that you can tap, as well as finishing/refinishing products that may be of use here.

Bestaluck, let us know how things work out for you, keep us posted! Before-and-after pics, if possible!

Guitar reranch is a cool site,man I'd love to

do my white strat http://home.flash.net/~guitars/sunburstaerosol.html :cool:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

I would first try a guitar polish. If that doesn't work, you can try Naptha. Naptha is a very light duty solvent which should not attack the guitar's finish or paint. It is recommended in many guitar books as a safe solvent for guitar cleanups. DO NOT USE Heavier duty solvents such as paint thinners, lacquer thinners or acetone as they WILL attack the finish.

I gave the naptha a try and it looks like it might have helped some small amount but its strangely hard to tell. I will continue to work on it. I am going to take this with me on an overseas deployment so I am definitely not going to pursue a re-finish anytime soon if thats whats needed. Thanks for the help fellas.

Oh, I wasn't meaning a refinish- I don't think anybody here did. Just the supplies and methods and info available on those 'sites! At least follow-up on 'em...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived