Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Casting" a band

Hound Dog

So many bands seem to be formed in the following way:

Some people get together who share a musical interest and talk/jam. They are encouraged by what they experience and through hard work and lots of luck, they form a band and pursue their dreams.

It seems that the music industry has commonly given little musical credibility to bands who were "put together" like some of the "boy bands", the Monkees, etc. But this is a common practice in the film industry. You don't routinely have a group of actors getting together and say, "Hey, Lets make a movie!" and then they go get a camera and film "The Deer Hunter".

Now I know that film making is not that simple, but I wonder if anyone sees where having a specific musical idea or direction and then going out and "casting" a band to create it could have legitmate possibilities and is maybe an underused approach to music making.

Any thoughts?

Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In Toronto there is a series of shows called "Classic Albums Live", where they play the album "note for note", "cut for cut". They use a pool of top talent in Toronto to suit the needs of each show. There are a few musicians that are in every show, but they do "cast" for the most part.

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

In Toronto there is a series of shows called "Classic Albums Live", where they play the album "note for note", "cut for cut". They use a pool of top talent in Toronto to suit the needs of each show. There are a few musicians that are in every show, but they do "cast" for the most part.

Now that's what I'm talking about! I like that idea.
Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

My latest attempt to join a band lasted about 5 days because the guy putting it together was a total looney.

We didn't even get together. It all foundered over email. Is this a record?

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Hound Dog:

Now I know that film making is not that simple, but I wonder if anyone sees where having a specific musical idea or direction and then going out and "casting" a band to create it could have legitmate possibilities and is maybe an underused approach to music making.

Well, that's what ideally happens, doesn't it?

You have a bunch of songs and you think, "I need a bassplayer that sounds like this, maybe he sounds a bit like " and "I need a drummer who has this sort of touch, a bit like . Preferably with a double kick drum sound" and you look until you find people that either match your "vision" or convince you that the alternative is just as interesting.

It's pretty much like what happens in a film, you start out with a bunch of characters (girl, hero, baddies) and an idea of what they should look like then you go out and find (cast) people that match your "vision".

I don't think I undertand your post.

Most teenage bands are formed by friends who decide to take up music together for fun ... there may be some who start out with dreams of superstardom, but I think that's more the exception than the rule. (Correct me if I'm wrong; my teenage years are ancient history!)

I'm sure there are lots of bands that are "casted", or at least audition lots of people before they commit - if there are careers on the line!

And then you have bands where the guys are older with steady jobs and families, who might not be in position to tour all over God's green earth.. they might be closer to scenario #1 than to #2, but still, it's different...

Originally posted by Geoff B.:

[QB] My latest attempt to join a band lasted about 5 days because the guy putting it together was a total looney.

We didn't even get together. It all foundered over email. Is this a record?

I don't know if it's a record, but it's a ranking contender!

But I'd rather find out I was dealing with flakey, undependable people up front, than after gigs were booked or practices scheduled, and then rescheduled, and then rescheduled again... to where you feel like saying, "Hell, why bother setting a date? Let's just tear out pages from the calendar and toss 'em in the air.. and the one that sticks on the ceiling is our next practice date!"

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

Most teenage bands are formed by friends who decide to take up music together for fun ...

Teenage bands are one thing, but ever since I left school I've always auditioned people until I find the right one. No point starting a band with people that are into a completely different headspace. If I don't like metal, I'm not going to start a band with some guy that's heavily into Iron Maiden, 'cause we'll be arguing after about a week.

And attitude and expectations are just as important. No point starting a band if one guy wants to tour and everyone else wants to stay home.

Everyone does that sort of "casting". It's hardly what you'd call "calculating".

re "flakey" people:

After a certain age, a lot of people aren't "flakey", they are just too involved with their stupid careers and always have some last minute meeting or a team building to go to or overtime to do and so on. Business trips are a bugger as well. I wouldn't call those people "flakey" because they are supposed to be level headed, pillars of society types, but they miss rehearsals just like junkies do.

The one's that are villified are the ones put together from a marketing perspective, groups like the spice girls and take that, that are based on image and how much they will visually appeal to teenagers and then managing every single last aspect of that product.

A lot different to weighing up musicians and finding the right combination that will make a great band that will complement each others musical styles.

It isn't really the same thing...

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Archived