Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pickup Suggestions Please

spacegoon

i'm looking for a bridge pickup that will let me get a distorted Eddie Van Halen/Steve Vai tone and a neck pickup that can play anything.

also, i think it would be interesting to mix DiMarzios with Seymour Duncans...

Any Suggestions?

Favorite Guitar Players

-

Ed Wier, John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Jason Becker, Yngwie Malmsteen...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a Duncan '59 in the neck of my Schecter Blackjack. It sounds good split and with the tone knob rolled off.

Don't forget that the amp, pedals, strings and the way you play (how you hold the pick, where on the string you pick, the gauge and material of the pick) all have as much to do with tone as the pickups.

I know others will ask, what guitar are you starting with?

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I've got a couple of dual humbucker guitars.

In one, I've got a Duncan '59 at the bridge, and a Gibson (something out of an early 90's LP Standard) at the neck. The Duncan is kind of screamy, in a good way. The Gibson pick-up is warm sounding.

In another axe, I've got a Burstbucker Pro V at the bridge, and a Gibson '57 Classic in the neck. The result is similar as the above guitar.

If my recollection is correct (recollection ain't as good as it used to be), in the early 80's, Eddie may have been using a DiMarzio PAF. When Vai was using those pink pick-ups, I believe those were DiMarzios too.

My guess would be that, for the neck position, if you want a general purpose pick-up, you're going to want something with relatively low output.

Happy shopping! I find that to be the most fun.

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

Seymour Duncan makes a bridge pickup to the exact EVH specs; you can call them and request one, it is available to anyone who asks. I have never used one but have heard from others who swear by it (they are Van Halen nuts, too).

Here is a link to more info on this Duncan EVH pickup...

http://www.legendarytones.com/edward_van_halen.htm

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

I've heard good things about the Duncan EVH too. One place that a lot of folks go wrong when looking for an EVH type tone, is that they go trying all these ultra high output pups, Eddie used an 8.5k output Gibson PAF, which, in a strat, is still kinda bright.
www.myspace.com/christondre

Originally posted by rw2003:

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

Seymour Duncan makes a bridge pickup to the exact EVH specs; you can call them and request one, it is available to anyone who asks. I have never used one but have heard from others who swear by it (they are Van Halen nuts, too).

Here is a link to more info on this Duncan EVH pickup...

http://www.legendarytones.com/edward_van_halen.htm

Cool wonder how it would sound in a Sg :cool:
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Archived