Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does Feedback "Hurt" Amps?

Kramer Ferrington III.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

When I started playing electric, I used to love feedback and then I was told that it was bad for the speakers (or was it the amp?)

I've recently been wondering... is that true or is it just an old roadie's tale?

I don't know either...but theoretically maybe so. I mean, Feedback often is a much higher tone than guitars put out. High frequency is going to make the speaker work a lot harder, it would have to move in and out much quicker.

But I have read the worst thing for speakers in a guitar amp is overdrive/distortion, because it is like a square wave which means the "duty cycle" or the time it has to stay all the way out, or all the way back is more than it can handle. Yet, there are a good number of folks that play with distortion :)

But as I said in the beginning, I don't know. Would also like to hear an answer from someone that does.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Don't know about the amp, but yeah, you can toast a speaker with uncontrolled runnaway feedback. Now, we're not talking about normal playing or player feedback like Ted Nugent or Hendrix, we're talking about something like leaning the guitar against the amp and leaving, allowing the feedback to build and build.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by Caputo:

Feedback is therapeutic. There's somehting about those tones which make me feel better, I wonder if those waves and frequenciees stimulate endorphins

Yep. Dopamine. It's the body's natural pain-killer.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

I only have dolphin-safe feedback.

I'm Mikegug, and I approved this message. No squirrels were hurt in the production of this reply.

There's this Australian clothing company called Mambo that I really like for their sense of humour.

On one shirt I bought, the swingtag proudly stated "Tested on animals". :D

Feedback is therapeutic. There's somehting about those tones which make me feel better, I wonder if those waves and frequenciees stimulate endorphins

In my last band, I played an acoustic Alvarez-Yairi through a small Fender amp (treble all the way down, bass all the way up) through the house sound system... actually sounded cool believe it or not. And even at a low volume there were times when a note would feed back, and I learned to milk it and revel in the sustain.. it is a cool feeling!

Feedback can be used as a creative tool, although of course it's been abused a lot. There was a guitarist named Gabor Szabo who used feedback as a tool in the '60s... Hendrix wasn't the only one!

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Yep. Dopamine. It's the body's natural pain-killer.
"Dopamine" - emphasis on "dope"... :D

Well, it's either that or you go deaf and think the speakers aren't working any more.

ROTFL

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

What became of those Boss feedbacker pedals?

Don't they make them any more? I'm talking about the DF-2.

Well, after the gigs, they couldn't find them. They asked where they were, but everyone was deaf from all the feedback, so nobody heard the question.

By the way, DF-2 means I'm DeaF now 2.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Well, after the gigs, they couldn't find them. They asked where they were, but everyone was deaf from all the feedback, so nobody heard the question.

By the way, DF-2 means I'm DeaF now 2.

Seriously though... did anyone ever try one? They sounded quite interesting, I suppose.

i got and use one...it gets ragged on @ different sites-but it is good at what it does...

my favorite trick w/ it-it wasnt designed for this:

you hit a note on yer guitar- press down on the feedbacker and that note is sustaining (its not really feedback since its a closed system)-but you can still play while that note is still going...

kinda dynamic in that sense...not just a one trick pony...

s

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Archived