Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played My First Larivee Today

Warthog

I must say that I've been playing for about 14 years but I don't frequent guitar shops often. Today I stopped at my local shop and amongst all the nice Martins and Taylors I was ogling there was a Larivee hanging up there, so I took it down for a spin. I must say I was impressed at this sub $1000 acoustic. Very bright, full tone with a ton of sustain, and the neck was decidely more "acoustic" feeling than the small radius of the Taylor that I own. I will definitely keep my eyes open for more models in the future. I couldn't help but think that would be an awesome addition to any guitarists rig.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am not suprised. there are great guitars being made by lots of manufacturers.

when we were in the city at a local studio i got to see a beautiful accoustic made by one of thier luthiers. apparently it was made on private time. from what i understood it is accepted practice at Larravee once a year for them to do that. the thing sounded sweet.

i am a fan.

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Yup, they're sweet. Hey, aren't you supposed to be trying out electrics that give some contrast to your T5? :D

Yeah, true, but my heart always lies with a good acoustic...nothing but fingers, wood, and strings...

Originally posted by Warthog:

...my heart always lies with a good acoustic...nothing but fingers, wood, and strings...

I'm witcha, 'Hog. Lately all I play are my Guild and Simon and Patrick dreadnaughts. A Larrivee is definitely on my radar screen - "It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine".

The first time I played a few Larivees in a shop was years ago, they were their pricey, beautifully inlaid earlier models, and man, what a totally pro, grand-piano vibe they had! Everything about them gave the impression that they were a cut above most.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I think it was an L02 or L03, can't remember. It was around $900 list...felt like a guitar that cost twice that much, easily. I do love to plug-in now and again, but I do love pure acoustic mostly. Now, to hijack my own topic: It may be bad advice but when guys ask me for lessons (yeah, right, like I have time!), I always tell them to start off on acoustic for several reasons. First off, it generally takes more finger strength to fret the strings of an acoustic. My old Takmine G Series is that way, I'll have dudes who play mostly electric who pick it up and can't make it sound right at all because their fingers are weak. Secondly, I remember when I started learning when I was around 23 and I played my first Strat through an overdriven amp. My first thought was, "I can't hear any of my mistakes! (When playing rhythm)". Definitely not a good thing when you're just starting out. I think there are lots of young folks learning on overdriven, distorted rigs who if you gave them an acoustic would sound like pure he$$. (Lots of them hang out at Guitar Center on Saturday afternoons!) I love anything with a good guitar but generally prefer great acoustic tone over other types...

Warthog, I have the CE0E and love it. Even though I am not a acoustic player much at all,I find it easy to transition between the Larravee and the electrics. I have had it for four years and the thing is in perfect condition as far as cracking and the Fishman pickup works great. When I auditioned the CE0e I played allot of acoustics that where much higher priced than the Larravee and was prepaired to spend much more. The Laravee was the easiest acoustic for me to play as a electric player.

...[W]hen guys ask me for lessons...I always tell them to start off on acoustic for several reasons. First off, it generally takes more finger strength to fret the strings of an acoustic...Secondly, I remember when I started learning when I was around 23 and I played my first Strat through an overdriven amp. My first thought was, "I can't hear any of my mistakes! (When playing rhythm)". Definitely not a good thing when you're just starting out...

I remember an interview with Keith Richards in GP years ago. He said he still played acoustic a lot because, when the oil runs out and there's no more electricity, "I don't want to have to rely on feedback to keep the lick going..."

Originally posted by chad:

...[W]hen guys ask me for lessons...I always tell them to start off on acoustic for several reasons. First off, it generally takes more finger strength to fret the strings of an acoustic...Secondly, I remember when I started learning when I was around 23 and I played my first Strat through an overdriven amp. My first thought was, "I can't hear any of my mistakes! (When playing rhythm)". Definitely not a good thing when you're just starting out...

I remember an interview with Keith Richards in GP years ago. He said he still played acoustic a lot because, when the oil runs out and there's no more electricity, "I don't want to have to rely on feedback to keep the lick going..."
Perfect!

Hey, Bluesape, I might just get sidetracked from that search for an electric and get a Larrivee instead?? Wait til next year for an electric??

All in all, I'd suggest looking at Taylors in the same price range, or getting upscale and looking at Olsens, Collings, Breedlove, Santa Cruz, Goodall, etc.

Just my opinion, but if I know that there have been problems with a product line, I look around to see what my options are.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Well I can't see ya goin' wrong with a Larivee', but the advice to check other brands is valid as well. I've always thought Larivee's were great, but I know the brands Bill mentions are worthy. You already have a T5, so you know what feel you're after. :thu:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

All in all, I'd suggest looking at Taylors in the same price range, or getting upscale and looking at Olsens, Collings, Breedlove, Santa Cruz, Goodall, etc.

Just my opinion, but if I know that there have been problems with a product line, I look around to see what my options are.

Bill

What problems, Bill? I haven't heard of problems with Larrivee. I was thinking about buying one for a second 6-string acoustic. I was thinking about a Larrivee L-03 or maybe a Martin D-16, but if there's problems with the Larrivees that sort of makes my mind up for me.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I know of 2 that have over-rotated (rendering them irreparable for any reasonable amount of money), and another guy I know had problems, sent his back to the factory for repair, and was never happy with the end result. He's a great writer but only plays out a few times a year(hes a school teacher, very limited income...) so the investment in such a guitar was a really big deal, and the sort of mistake from which there was no recovery, given wife, kids, and part-time involvement.

I should point out that there can be many causes of over-rotation, and anyone can make a bad guitar out of a large production run, and maybe my friend got it. But these experiences with which I am personally familiar and tales from other locals have given me pause when I think of purchasing a Laravee.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Bill

I love Taylors but I already have a T5 so I was looking for a different vibe. I played a Santa Cruz which I liked, thought the body is more narrow than I prefer. To be honest, the L03 played and sounded as nice as the Taylors I played.

I also played some Takamines and Ovations but there's no comparison.

Bill

I love Taylors but I already have a T5 so I was looking for a different vibe. I played a Santa Cruz which I liked, though the body is more narrow than I prefer. To be honest, the L03 played and sounded as nice as the Taylors I played.

I also played some Takamines and Ovations but there's no comparison.

Ihave a Santa Cruz based upon a Model F but done in maple with a cutaway. It is really quite a guitar, but was a tad pricy.

By the way, you know my therory on acoustic guitar buying, don't you? Acoustoics speak to most every player that I knpw. If, when you play it, the guitar doesn't say to you,"Hey Stupid!!! Pay attention! I'M YOUR GUITAR. BUY ME!" then it isn't your guitar, don't buy it.

I mean, of course you can, but meanwhile, YOUR guitar is still out there waiting.

Bill

Steve Martin

Originally posted by chad:

Q'est-ce que c'est "over-rotated"?

The body top between the bridge and endpin rises, the body top between the bridge and sound hole collapses, the bridge rotates towards the nut.

Bill

Steve Martin

Originally posted by Bluesape:

I agree wih Bill. The right one will connect with you. :thu:

I agree totally. I probably played 25 guitars today and the Larrivee sung out the sweetest...but I can't convince myself to shell out another grand on a guitar. I've probably spent 7 grand in gear over the past 6 months...

I emailed this thread to Larrivee and got this reply today:

"Larrivee has no recurring problems with their guitars besides

unsubstantiated online rumors. I've been exclusively the person that

handles the repair and warranty paperwork for many years, and there is

no recurring problem, outside of a person's neglect of their guitar with

respects to the humidity requirements of a solid-wood instrument. A good

room humidifier will prevent any solid-wood guitar from collapsing,

which is called "rotating" in the article."

http://www.larrivee.com/data/customerservice/humidity.html

Yeah, Larrivee' is back in the running for me. Turns out that,because of the type of bracing that Larrivee' uses, their guitars are probably LESS likely to have this problem than some other manufacturers as long as the owner does his part and keeps the humidity at acceptable levels. ANY acoustic guitar (especially if it has any solid wood in it) is going to have serious problems if the humidity is not kept at acceptable levels.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I've got air humdification and cleaning at the studio, and a humidifier in my apartment. In fact, just got a new one today. The 1600 sq ft model didn't cut it since I have 14 ft ceilings (it is a convertered brick and timber frame printing plant, lots of exposed beams and such...) so I've replaced it with a 2500 sq ft model. The guitars aren't the only things that benefit from a constant humidity of about 50%+/-. So will you.

Bill

Steve Martin

Archived