Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Forum

Whether it's info on a scale or mode, advice on buying that new effect pedal, or just a good discussion about guitars, this forum is the place for you. Our own little virtual pub. Come on in and stay a while...

The Guitar Forum.jpg

34,181 topics in this forum

1. Sore thumb

• 6 replies
  2. delete

• 7 replies
    • 33 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 8 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 11 replies
  3. Age and Guitar Playing

• 21 replies
    • 6 replies
  4. Desert Island FX

• 6 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 6 replies
  5. Danelectro good or bad?

• 15 replies
    • 24 replies
  6. More Toys

• 2 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 39 replies
    • 2.2k views
    • 8 replies
  7. Whaddya do when???

• 16 replies
  8. Which Acoustic Guitar?

• 14 replies
  9. Electric Mountain

• 12 replies
    • 35 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 0 replies
  10. high wires

• 1 reply
    • 33 replies
  11. Parabolic Brace Works?

• 1 reply
  12. Les Paul alternative

• 17 replies
  13. Amp Opinions...

• 11 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 21 replies
    • 36 replies
    • 17 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 7 replies
  14. classical G.A.S.

• 7 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 17 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 4 replies
    • 16 replies
    • 38 replies
  15. Perfect intonation...

• 6 replies
  • Trending posts on MPN

• I’ll just say I disagree with all of this, not to suggest that Sagetunes’ opinions are wrong in some objective way, but that you do probably need to audition the board yourself.  The amp drive sims help the EPs, and you have a 3-band semi parametric EQ for each sound.  The Wurly gets me compliments, i find the is clav is fine in a mix, I wouldn’t use the Rhodes on a jazz quartet gig but it’s serviceable in a mix.     I briefly had an Electro 5 and Nord’s Rhodes are quite good but I found the rest of it unsatisfying and sold it after a couple of gigs.   YMMV
    • Yeah, while I like most everything on the list, I don't know if all of these would be on my definitive list of Rhodes albums, though Bitches Brew and In a Silent Way certainly would.    I think there could be better modern examples. I've seen Nik Bartsch and Ronin several times and absolutely love his playing, but I'd view him as primarily an acoustic pianist (a brilliant and iconoclastic one) who uses Rhodes as an occasional color. 
    • Not to point fingers, but by using sample libraries extensively, composers/producers like her contributed to the plight of human players. Sample an orchestral musician once, and you've taken away 99% of the need to hire him going forward. This is the same fear actors in the strike she mentioned had over their deepfake "digital replica".   Writers in the strike also feared LLMs trained on their screenplays will spit out scripts one dime a dozen. And the same thing is already starting to happen to music composition and production. But "the creatives" I knew all proudly claimed "A.I. can never become creative", when I told them what's coming in 2015. Heck, even at this very moment, there's still no shortage of folks who believe in that self-soothing delusion.
    • Quite an odd selection. Light as a Feather and Head Hunters are a given, but I would’ve picked some Weather Report instead of Zawinul’s solo debut. His Mu-Tron sound on thise WR albums is a classic..but are they “Rhodes albums” in that sense.   Pretty much any electric Chick or Herbie up until the late 70’s could make this list in ny book 😀   What about some Bob James (like One, or Touchdown with ”Angela”) or George Duke (like Feel, 1974)? 
    • Outside the Indian copies of MJ's catalogue (which deserve their own WTF thread), we'll be hard pressed to find another song that copied the rhythm down to the T and doesn't even shy away from doing that dead-giveaway "ooh". Personally, I couldn't care less about any of these copying/covering/"interpolation" attempts. But if Mars' lawyers wanna act like legal trolls, I'm all for giving them a taste of their own medicine.    
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries