Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A fire on my block, and I'm retiring "NYC Drew" @ 2222 posts.

A fire hit a [url=http://www.news12.com/NewCDA/articles/article_detail/0,5942,%26rid%3D11%26region%3DWC%26tab%3Dtopstories%26id%3D53754,00.html]building[/url] in the middle of my block at noon today. I lost power at the job and water at home (both sandwich the bldg on fire). Area is under lockdown. It was a 100 apartment unit. (That's a [b]LOT[/b] of missed coke sales... :) ) I had to park my car up the block, and 12hrs later, I still can't put it in the garage. The smells remind me of being in Manhattan after 9/11... I'm convinced that *my* firefighters and Law 'nforecmnt officers still don't get it. Ther eare at least 12 fire trucks up here (some are relay stations for pumping water up the block), and way too many police car. I already see how the "evil doing terrorists" are going to completely fuck us.... 1. Stage an accident (like a propane truck in a building in NYC), then when 1000 rescue / law enforcement officers swarm down on the scene, 2. Detonate a couple of explosives in, and beyond the perimeter of the 1st scene. I've been loooking at how these crews respond, and they congeal on the scenes of these situations with no plan, idea or formation for a expeditious pull back. Memo to self: check and double check homeowners insurance policy. Memo to self: GET homeowners insurance policy... Yeah, the name "NYC Drew" gets retired after 2222 posts....

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shit, double post. Now I have one left.... [b]GT3![/b] Naaaaaa man, that was just the humorous Drew! :cool: In no way, manner, shape or form was I stepping to you. If you took umbrage, I'm very sorry. It's not my style to rip into people. Sorry again if you felt [b]sing[/b]led out... Peace.

No, I don't take things like that personally, but it did 'weird me out". By the way, if it was you that I said played a "vapid guitar solo," don't take it personally either. :wave: If it's not you, then ignore that comment. :D

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[quote]Originally posted by fantasticsound: [b]Glad you're ok and your work and home buildings are intact! Whew! Ok, but if you're not NYC Drew, who are you???? Is this a reaction to our agreeing on everything? I promise.. I'll contradict you... really I will. ;) :D [/b][/quote]Hi Neil, Kinda sux about losing power at work. I had a 24 track remote recording from this past Thur that I needed to go thru...there was another fire up here on Friday - 7 or 10 row houses up in (crack) smoke. It was just a few days ago I copied all of my family's personal documents/etc and put them in the safe at work. Re: "NYC Drew" - as you can see, the apple falleth not far from the tree... Sidebar: There's a gun nut in my building with four guns, but a shitload of ammo and no safe. What types of hazards does that present to the FD?

Good idea, re protecting your family's important docs. My Grandparents had a summer house in the Catskills since my dad was a kid. In the early 1980's, I believe, two kids burned the place to the ground. Guess where they were storing most all the family portraits and important documents regarding our family history? Nothing survives, my grandparents are now both deceased, and what little info my dad remembers has been little or no help in tracking down where my grandfather came from in Poland. Between his brother's family living in France and Israel and us, we're not even sure of the correct last name. Ellis Island changed it, we believe... but I digress. Arson, fire in general, is a terrible way to lose everything. Most fires are [i]so[/i] preventable. :rolleyes:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by NYC:Drew: [b]Re: "NYC Drew" - as you can see, the apple falleth not far from the tree... Sidebar: There's a gun nut in my building with four guns, but a shitload of ammo and no safe. What types of hazards does that present to the FD?[/b][/quote]Thank goodness... for a minute there I thought one of my favorite people around here was thinking of leaving us. :eek: Drew, in NYC, they have some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country. I am not up on all of your city's regulations (it's hard enough keeping track of stuff here in the People's Republik of Kalifornia), but I would think that: 1. I believe that unless he's got the right permits / licenses, he's not supposed to have guns in NYC - ESPECIALLY handguns. My understanding is that getting a permit to own a handgun in NYC is next to impossible - and I'm talking [i]permit to OWN[/i], not a CCW (Concealed Carry). 2. Proper gun storage in NYC is probably mandated by law - if not requiring safes, then at least requiring gun locks - through the action(s) or trigger locks. 3. I don't know if there is any restrictions on the amount of ammo you can own in NYC, or if there's any regulations on storage, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were. And if I was a FDNY guy, and knew that there was a few hundred (or a couple thousand) rounds in a burning building, I'd be very nervous about going inside - all it takes are the wrong conditions, and the stuff can definitely "cook off". Anyway, if you want to get more info, a call to the local library or NYPD should get you the regulations. And as far as the FD and PD congregating, you bring up a very real issue. Hopefully the PD establishes a perimeter and watches for signs of a setup of the type you described... but I'm afraid that far too often they don't. And taking out a bunch of first responders would probably give those (terrorist) bastards a major woody. There's countless other ways that terrorists can "hit us where and when it hurts", but I personally don't feel comfortable mentioning several that come to mind. Suffice it to say that I'm going to be avoiding locations where large amounts of people are gathered and security is lax or non-existent - especially right after we go into Iraq (due to the threat of homicide bombers and other potential threats). There's just NO way that we can defend everything in the USA that could provide a potential target without severely reducing or eliminating "essential liberty". Our best defense is good intelligence, a good offense, defense of critical targets as well as all of us being aware of our surroundings. It's sad that it has come to that, but not surprising. What I find surprising is that they didn't start directly attacking us Stateside earlier than they did. But I can honestly tell you that, short of curtailing civil rights, everything that the best minds in the defense and intelligence agencies in the USA can think of and implement is being done to defend all of us. There's some VERY good people who care about this country and are working hard day and night to keep us safe. Anyway, on a happier note, I'm glad you're still "with us". I'd miss you if you decided to quit hanging out with us here. You're "good people". :thu:

Thanks Phil, It's Westchester County, which is next to Bronx county (NYC). Both of my joints overlook intersections where Bronx & West.Co meet. Gun laws are not as restrictive as NYC (for example, you don't need "paper" to own a shotgun/rifle in West.Co), you can own up to 4 handguns (with appropriate permit - typically takes 4-6 mths as a disincentive...) with the 5th handgun, you need a safe, the cops come in and inspect the place, etc etc. I gave up my permit (and handgun) a little while back. The missus had a big problem with handguns...I had a Glock 45 and a S&W 38 special. Now with the kids being so young and her being so paranoid, it's a uphill sell. Yonkers PD will not issue a permit for my job address (same street, down the block), and I don't want to test the spirit of the law by getting the permit for the house and then keeping the guns 24/7 at work. At some point in the near future, if cash flow gets crazy, I may have to get the damn permit again and upgrade to a CCW. The silliest part of the requirements (no not the mandated NRA course) is needing four character references that live in the SAME county - their statements need to be notarized...what a pain in the posterior... ...with regards to Police/EMS/FD procedure, I only state the very obvious. There are scenarios in my head which I only discuss with my Law 'nforcement associates. Prior to going solo, I had a lot of the Westchester County town and village PD's, as computer clients. I also did work for the *entire* City of Yonkers and Peekskill (all departments, overseeing their IT needs). I still talk to (as in provide back door consulting and oversight) a few of the City Managers and pencil pushing cops from some of these municipalities... ---------- Nursers, I'm not down with having weird mutations of my name. I'd like people to know with full certainty as to with whom they are engaged in dialog with... I just got power back at work, so my brief holiday has ended. Happy St Paddies Day to all of my peeps from the Emerald Isle... NYC Drew

[quote]Originally posted by NYC:Drew: [b] [quote]Originally posted by fantasticsound: [b]Glad you're ok and your work and home buildings are intact! Whew! Ok, but if you're not NYC Drew, who are you???? Is this a reaction to our agreeing on everything? I promise.. I'll contradict you... really I will. ;) :D [/b][/quote]Hi Neil, Kinda sux about losing power at work. I had a 24 track remote recording from this past Thur that I needed to go thru...there was another fire up here on Friday - 7 or 10 row houses up in (crack) smoke. It was just a few days ago I copied all of my family's personal documents/etc and put them in the safe at work. Re: "NYC Drew" - as you can see, the apple falleth not far from the tree... Sidebar: There's a gun nut in my building with four guns, but a shitload of ammo and no safe. What types of hazards does that present to the FD?[/b][/quote]The ammo poses no more hazard than a sparkler. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Archived