Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WindowsXPpro is an incredible waste of money

I have finally come to the conclusion that WindowsXPpro is an incredible waste of money. It is no more solid than Windows95 and is more headache than Windows 3.1 . Please someone, tell me this. Is it too much for me to expect to do Sonar multi-track recording with DX synths, and video editing and internet surfing and DVD recording/production with one single computer? Is it too much for me to expect that the "backup" software in WinXPpro should actually allow me to create a real backup, and not just a useless bunch of files that don't re-install with the proper registry keys? Is it too much for me to expect that after running "restore" that I shouldn't be prompted over and over again to type in my name ,address etc. to reactivate the all of the software AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN. If I ran "backup" with everything running properly, shouldn't I expect everthing to run properly after "restore"? Let me take a breath and back up a bit. You all know that I have been using XPpro for over a month now. It is true that I never see the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH anymore with XPpro, but whether graceful or not I'm not happy to see the message "Sorry, SONAR has encountered a problem and must close." I almost had everything working 100%. The DVD player/recorder played and recorded DATA DVDs. Sonar was even working mediocre. The problem began when I tried to copy my daughter's school play to DVD. MyDVD began to reject my Sony Camcorder/Firewire as a legitimate device, so after playing with the configuration for a few days I decide it was time to restore using my 2 gig backup file, which was nicely recorded on the new DVD-RW disk a few weeks ago. I first tried the "restore" without re-formatting the C: partition. That was partially successful but things were still a bit flakey, so today I completely re-formatted the C: partition and tried the restore over again. Now WindowsXP wants me to re-activate all over again and has given me only 5 DAYS this time, but the internet isn't working properly. Sonar comes up but there is no sound, but the sound works fine for Windows. Sonic MyDVD won't even play a DVD because it also wants me to re-register. WHO EVER CALLED THIS THING WINDOWS XP [b]PROFESSIONAL[/b]??? The activation scheme is a nightmare. The restore doesn't restore and I have lost the use of some of my software because of XP incompatibilities. So someone give me a kick before I kick myself! Dan http://musicinit.com/roland_index.html

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is only one way to go for audio. Win98se and [url=http://www.litepc.com/preview.html]SEE HERE[/url]

"Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -- John Adams

"I am a senior member, and thereby entilted to all the privileges and rights accorded said status"

-- NBR

I hate XP Home Ed. It crashes constantly. One of my profs. (who works with NASA, smart guy ;) ) made a joke, went a little something like this: Microsoft has only made 2 really reliable operating systems- Windows 2000 (or was it '98?) and DOS. :D

98 Lite is an intereesting idea [b]Bolt Rifles![/b] I have heard that there is a new version of Linux that runs many Windows Apps. I have had so much trouble with the Windows OS in the past few years that I may get back into software development and write a new sequencer/recorder for the Linux system. I mean , I have probably already WASTED enough time reloading and reconfiguring Windows over and over that I could have written an entire software package. Dan http://teachmedrums.com

I use WinXP on 3 different computers. No problems. I have a friend who does all his mixing using Cubase SX, that Rivals mixes doen on an SSL 9k. No problems. I'm running Avid Xpress DV on a PC and numerous other things. No problems.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Hmm, I'm doing about all the things you mentioned on WinXP Pro with no problems on my measley Gateway 800mhz PIII. Microsoft is an easy target for jokes, but i've found XP to be the virtually crash proof, i uninstall/reinstall software like a madman and i can't make the darn thing crash. Software incompatiblities are pretty much inevitable with something as universal as Windows, and it does get frustrating if you don't know what to look for when trying to problem solve. Good luck, hope you get everything worked out.

[quote]Originally posted by techristian: [b]98 Lite is an intereesting idea [b]Bolt Rifles![/b] [/URL][/b][/quote]Give it a try, you'll never go back.

"Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -- John Adams

"I am a senior member, and thereby entilted to all the privileges and rights accorded said status"

-- NBR

I use Win 2K with the Explorer removed and "no internet bullshit" period.It's a dedicated DAW.I run Sonar with all kinds of softsynths&plugs and it hasn't so much as even had a minor lockup going on 2 years.XP is NT based and very similar to 2K but more bloated.Since I get as low as 1.5ms with WDM and great solid performance,it fact it's so uneventful it's almost boring.So yeah,I don't need XP at all.I would have stayed with 98se but WDM performance and even Asio performance is pretty much crappolla as far as I'm concerned,and unless you completely customize the memory handeling to the extent of a software programmer expect crappy performance in that dept. too.Iv'e witnessed plenty of times using a DAW along with the internet on the same machine cause nothing but trouble somewhere along the line,Mac's included,to be avoided at all cost.In fact the smoothest running Macs that Iv'e seen in the studio were devoid of internet software/hardware as well.Use your crappy whore machine for that.As far as Pc's go,avoid Pre-builts at all costs,do your homework as far as chipset choice,avoid budget Ram and budget PSU and make your audio card choice based on driver performance as well as features and converters.Follow those rules and you'll most likely be happy like me,or be happy paying the piper.I'm not sure where your problem lies but NT is about as solid as it gets for me.I don't need XP but if I did,I'd have running about the same way.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

techristian.. Sorry about your troubles, man. It's crap like this that made me give up on Windows (and Microsoft in general) many years ago. I could go into detail of my attempts to install WinXP Pro on one of my computers, but i'll save everyone. I've yet to see anything valid and useable come out of Microsoft in the way of OS's. I guess i'm a bigot that way, believing you should never have to reboot or *gasp* reinstall the OS to fix stuff. I wish you luck.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

[quote]Originally posted by Bolt Rifles: [b] [quote]Originally posted by techristian: [b]98 Lite is an intereesting idea [b]Bolt Rifles![/b] [/b][/quote]Give it a try, you'll never go back.[/b][/quote]Don't you mean "you'll never go forward"??? ;)
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote]Originally posted by techristian: [b]I have had so much trouble with the Windows OS in the past few years that I may get back into software development and write a new sequencer/recorder for the Linux system. I mean , I have probably already WASTED enough time reloading and reconfiguring Windows over and over that I could have written an entire software package. [/b][/quote]Amen to that... but you don't have to reinvent the wheel, maybe you could help out with [url=http://ardour.sourceforge.net]this[/url] instead.

[b] Amen to that... but you don't have to reinvent the wheel, maybe you could help out with this instead. [/b] And while you're at it, don't forget [url=http://www.demudi.org]this[/url] . There are actually a bunch of sequencers for linux, i just haven't ferreted them all out yet. I'm actually in the planning stages of writing a very ugly and simplistic one myself, actually.

WWND?

[quote]Originally posted by KHAN: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Bolt Rifles: [b] [quote]Originally posted by techristian: [b]98 Lite is an intereesting idea [b]Bolt Rifles![/b] [/b][/quote]Give it a try, you'll never go back.[/b][/quote]Don't you mean "you'll never go forward"??? ;) [/b][/quote]Thats just stupid, but I still like your music.

-- NBR

Actually, i should probably also actually mention something about how many times i actually use "actually" in a sentence, whether i actually mean to do so, or even if i actually don't.

WWND?

We haven't had any problems here with about 6 XP systems so far but they are all dedicated to DAW software only, Nuendo in this case. As I understand it the restore function is only intended to "roll back" the system to an earlier point, this is a snapshot either manually done or automaticaly. As far as I know there is no intended capability to make a restore disk on removable media. This would certainly circumvent any copy protection schemes if it did work. I prefer Windows2000 Professional personally. It seems much more "professional" without all the eye candy and fancy stuff in XP. No authorization either so you can make a backup of the Windows2000 disk and put the original away forever. Win2k doesn't have CD and DVD burning functions built in though. I use third party software for this. Maybe you should get a book about XP and find out what it's supposed to do. I agree that it's a waste of money but Win2k and XP seem better than 98SE to me. Besides I run CubaseSX and Nuendo, both are designed for NT based OS's. Win98SE/ME had memory limitations which are not good for modern DAW software by the way.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

I wouldn't mind Linux actually,but since it's front running DAW Ardour is barley a step above Turtle Beach's Digital Orchestra Pro it's not even a choice yet for me yet.I do hope they make up for lost time in a few years though.

Hm. Don't have much to say about DAW use, but I've had more problems when my system was running 2000 than since it's been on XP now (crossing fingers). They'd both run fine, 'bout the same. But I've had tons of annoying driver problems on startup and weird corruption issues under 2k. Maybe I just need to give XP more time to screw up. Also using a no-authorization version might help.

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b] [quote]Originally posted by techristian: [b]I have had so much trouble with the Windows OS in the past few years that I may get back into software development and write a new sequencer/recorder for the Linux system. I mean , I have probably already WASTED enough time reloading and reconfiguring Windows over and over that I could have written an entire software package. [/b][/quote]Amen to that... but you don't have to reinvent the wheel, maybe you could help out with [url=http://ardour.sourceforge.net]this[/url] instead.[/b][/quote]Hey Lee, do you have any experience with this stuff? My son is a full-blown Linux programmer, I bet he could make this work.

Here's your kick: Why'd you buy Pro? If you think you could remotely get by on 95 or 98, then you didn't need Pro. The Home version will suit most users. So maybe [i]you[/i] did waste [i]your[/i] money. The activation thing: I needed to do this at 3:00 am on Sunday once - I thought boy have I screwed myself (not boy did Microsft screw me - because no one from Microsoft had anything to do with what I was doing). I had already used up my re-installs, so the net thing forced me to call in. It took about three mintutes to do - yeah, super big nightmare that was :rolleyes: I think 5 days is plenty enough time for you to come across a telephone or get your Internet up. Sonar: what version? what audio card? Audio apps can be picky about the audio hardware. Sonar early versions were buggy. You are updated, you are not using an SB Live! or the like? On a properly setup system, Sonar can work fine. Backup: you have to read the docs and test backup/restore software and procedures - before you get into an actual disaster. I'm thinking if you came from a computer background (software dev?), you'd know this, but maybe not. I'm sure you see why this is true now. Also, while you may be inclined to rely on the low-end versions of utility-ware from Execusoft, Veritas, Roxio, etc. that Microsoft includes with Windows, you'll find the value add that comes from 3rd party or full-fledged versions can be worth it. If Microsoft included really top-flight versions with all the bells and whistles, I'm sure someone would yell monolpoly or something like that. For backup, check out Dantz - very easy to use, reliable, and affordable. I think there's even a demo - so you can test it out before you buy it...or need it. And if you can't make it go, don't feel badly - Windows may not be for you. Check out a Mac or that "compile-it-yourself" lixux DAW - sounds very UF ;) . And if computers just hate you, many people still claim to get great results using tape and analog desks :thu:

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

[quote]Originally posted by Sal O'lando: [b]If you want to run dual processor you gotta run 'Professional' ...or do what I did and get a nice shiny G4 dualie :D [/b][/quote]Exactly and I hardly think 95 or 98 would be a consideration - no more that it would be for your G4 :D

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

I've got XP running rock solid with Cubase SX, and PTle. I run Sonar on another machine that is 98SE. I would advise that your problems are probably related to your hardware configuration. And Sonar in XP. I have heard Craig say that he is running Sonar with XP with no problems, which leads me back to your hardware. Good luck, I hope you get back to making music soon.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Not much help my chiming in with XP Pro is the best thing I've ever had on this machine, but it's true. HOW-EVER System Restore isn't worth a dang for seriously imbedded registry problems. PowerQuest's Drive Image has proven itself to be worth every cent of the $65 whatever bucks it cost. A complete DriveImage reinstall can be done on my 5 Gig hog-o-rama system drive in less than 20 minutes and no re-activation!!! There are probably other apps that will bring you back to fresh as a daisy clean install -but this one works 100%, FWIW. But yeah, System Restore is like "Floatation Device" for an airliner heading for the ocean at 400 knots.

"We are the Federales... You know, the Mounted Police..."

---"If you're the police, where are your badges?"

"Bodges?..."

[quote]Originally posted by StoneKnife: [b]System Restore is like "Floatation Device" for an airliner heading for the ocean at 400 knots.[/b][/quote]Ditto.Only it's even worse because the accident happens multiple times.

Sounds like an over reaction, talking about reformatting and using a full system restore. That's taking an axe to the problem before trying the scissors. I didn't hear anything about setting Restoration Points before installing any software. Prior to installing an application, I set a restoration point. I keep all those records in hand written notes in the back of my day book. So I take one extra minute to do this each time for the very reason that XP is a PITA to reinstall and register. I read and browsed for two days looking for trouble before I started building my current system. I had oddball occurences with an Adobe program losing my registration number, but running the Repair option from the Add/Remove Programs list fixed it - twice. Overall I like XP a lot. My boxes either run Win98SE or XP. Win2000 Pro has been a real nightmare in my personal experiences on six boxes. It either was freezing, rebooting or it made hardware obsolete, and the video speed was glacial.
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

[b]stevepow Here's your kick: Why'd you buy Pro? If you think you could remotely get by on 95 or 98, then you didn't need Pro. The Home version will suit most users. So maybe you did waste your money.[/b] I started with Cakewalk 8 on Windows 98 and moved quickly back to WinME for Sonar. I was still having problems so then I moved to WinXPpro. My audio hardware is the Roland VM3100 (Studio Pack). Dan If you like scratching glass or going to the dentist you can read more of my reviews/nightmares at http://musicinit.com/roland_index.html

[quote]Originally posted by Alndln Opteron: I use Win 2K with the Explorer removed and "no internet bullshit" period.It's a dedicated DAW.I run Sonar with all kinds of softsynths&plugs and it hasn't so much as even had a minor lockup going on 2 years.XP is NT based and very similar to 2K but more bloated.Since I get as low as 1.5ms with WDM and great solid performance,it fact it's so uneventful it's almost boring.So yeah,I don't need XP at all.[/quote]DITTO :thu:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

[quote]Originally posted by techristian: [QB]I have finally come to the conclusion that WindowsXPpro is an incredible waste of money. It is no more solid than Windows95 and is more headache than Windows 3.1 . Please someone, tell me this. Is it too much for me to expect to do Sonar multi-track recording with DX synths, and video editing and internet surfing and DVD recording/production with one single computer? Is it too much for me to expect that the "backup" software in WinXPpro should actually allow me to create a real backup, and not just a useless bunch of files that don't re-install with the proper registry keys? [/quote]Yes that is too much to ask. The WinXP backup app is the best yet. No backup app has the ability to know what registry keys are associated with what files. Backup programs back up the "files" you tell it to. If you want to fully backup your system and restore to a previous state try Norton Ghost. Win XP is by huge leaps and bounds the most solid DAW enviroment Microsoft has ever come up with. Many of your problems may be due to driver issues. I just setup a new WinXP DAW and have had none of the problems you describe.

Archived