Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#9484 - 12/25/02 06:49 AM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
Jotown Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: The Galactic Center (26 Sagit...
Quote:
Originally posted by The Tedster of Christmas Present:
No, actually, there was a thread about his untimely passing. Sad indeed.
Amen.

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

#9485 - 05/07/04 10:57 AM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
Wewus432 Offline
10k Club

Screw you Eliot! I don't care who you know, you name dropping, nostalgia pandering, piece of crap!

#9486 - 05/07/04 11:00 AM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
Wewus432 Offline
10k Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Poelo:
I'd also like to ad, find it rather strange you're not discussing Joe Strummers death a bit more...referring to rock n' roll. Can't help wondering, have you guys missed out on something?

/Poelo
Shut up Poelo. You BITCH! PRO TOOLS ROCKS!!!!

#9487 - 05/07/04 11:08 AM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
Wewus432 Offline
10k Club

Posted by Sal:
Quote:
I like these pop songs and I don't care who knows it:

Keep It Dark
Man On The Corner
Abacab
No Reply At All
Paperlate
That's All

I agree that many (most...all?) others by PC are highly annoying though.

Elton John, on the other hand, has never made a song I've cared to hear again after the first time.

I think a lot of people are just extra annoyed because they liked his prog stuff (which I haven't really listened to).

Mrrr.

#9488 - 05/07/04 02:52 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
I & I mjrn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: behind you...100%
By "how long" do you mean accumulatively how many years or his record for a single instance?

#9489 - 05/07/04 03:48 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
Joe Cole Offline

Loc: Montreal
I agree with the folks that say he is best as a drummer. That said, I do not care much for those 15 minute "opus"-style meanderings that "prog" rockers love so much. :rolleyes:

As for his singing stuff, I truly hate the sappy love songs/songs for Disney/Dance into the Light stuff. That said, he has at times offered up some great vocal performances...listen to Mamma.

To each his own, but now you know, don't buy any Phil for my birthday. ;\)

#9490 - 05/07/04 03:49 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
Wewus432 Offline
10k Club

See! I told ya he sucked!

#9491 - 05/07/04 03:51 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
I & I mjrn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: behind you...100%
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Jackson's real nose:
By "how long" do you mean accumulatively how many years or his record for a single instance?
Just hadda bring it back up...

#9492 - 05/08/04 01:05 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
strat0124 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: ,VA,UNITED STATES
He ain't hungry....rich and spoiled. Being destitute makes for some great tunage. When you wipe your ass with 100 dollar bills its hard to find common ground with the gentry.

#9493 - 05/08/04 03:29 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
Lee Flier Offline
10k Club

Loc: Atlanta,GA,UNITED STATES
It's hard but not impossible. Other people have done it. Underneath it all, emotionally speaking we humans all have more in common than we probably realize.

Radio KIRA
http://www.radiokira.com

NEW CD out April 7th! >> Get it here , or here ! <<

#9494 - 05/08/04 03:44 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
John O. Lennon Offline

Loc: here, there, almost everywhere
Forgetting Phil Collins for a moment (hmmm, what a relief!), Mlle. Flier has a point; unfortunately, realizing that we've more in common than we may want to admit is a big problem for people.
I think it's one of the driving factors in the effort for some to set themselves apart---"I'm/We're not like them."
This can be the source for racism or any number of nationalistic or cultural divides.
It might even be what keeps Henry & George from getting along.

Perhaps the "original sin" wasn't eating an apple in a private garden \:D but when Lucifer sought to be distinguished from the other angels.

That nearly brings us back to Phil C. but let me avoid that with this question: Has anyone noticed the use of the once-iconoclastic Crissy Hynde's song "I'm Special" as a bank advert in the USA?

#9495 - 05/08/04 04:07 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
lakeside studios Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by John O. Lennon:

That nearly brings us back to Phil C. but let me avoid that with this question: Has anyone noticed the use of the once-iconoclastic Crissy Hynde's song "I'm Special" as a bank advert in the USA?
That'd be "Brass in Pocket".

Phil who?

I really like this thread. It's like athletes foot, just when you think it's gone forever, back it comes.
A bit like our Phil....

#9496 - 05/08/04 04:53 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
Super 8 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Loves Park, IL
Quote:
Has anyone noticed the use of the once-iconoclastic Crissy Hynde's song "I'm Special" as a bank advert in the USA?
That's because MUSICIANS ARE WHORES!!!!!! We'll do ANYTHING FOR A BUCK!!!! Who would have thought of Led Zep as a backdrop for Cadillac commercials?

If musicians simply refused to do this crap on ethical grounds, there would be no Britney Spears, no Star Search/American Idol Gladiators, no syrupy Disney crap, none of this lame crap that passes for Country....we'd have some uniform standards....some morals....a deep love and concern for the well-being of our music.

(Jim Belushi voice:)But Nooooooooooooooooooo... We're whores! We'll always be tools to the folks with the money. If they're pay'n, we're play'n. Remember back when it was 'uncool' to be a sellout???

Hear my stuff here
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
-- George Bernard Shaw

#9497 - 05/08/04 05:12 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
Lee Flier Offline
10k Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Super 8:

(Jim Belushi voice:)But Nooooooooooooooooooo... We're whores! We'll always be tools to the folks with the money. If they're pay'n, we're play'n.
Well... it depends. I certainly have a lot of lines that I personally draw in that department. For example... we were recently approached by a large management company who routinely books VERY high paying gigs for their clients - corporate, college and wedding type gigs. Basically they told us we could make a SHITLOAD of money (and we know some of their other clients, so we believe them) if we had them booking us on these gigs, and the only "hitch" was they would hand us a song list and that's what we had to play. This list of course, was one that has been proven to "work" in those environments, through focus groups and so on. They also wanted us to consider adding more people to our lineup if it would help them "sell" our thing.

Now, I know a lot of people who would jump at that opportunity. We flat out told them no way. THAT would make us feel like whores. Sure, if we made tons of money that would allow us more flexibility to finance the stuff we do want to do. But to us, it isn't worth turning music into "just a job" and playing stuff we hate and sounds the same as what everyone else is playing. If we're going to do something we can't stand, we'd rather have day jobs.

On the other hand, we feel that allowing your music to be used in an ad is a bit of a gray area. I might not be averse to such a thing, provided it wasn't a product I had a serious ethical problem with. This wouldn't be sacrificing the actual music, as opposed to doing the corporate gig... it would presume we'd already made the record and it sounded the way we wanted, and having it on the ad is simply a way to get it heard by more people and make some money to finance the next record. It beats signing a major record deal.

It does kind of piss me off to see major artists who are already wealthy, allowing their stuff to be used in ads. For relative unknowns to break through and finance themselves independently this way doesn't bother me quite as much. Somewhere along the line, somebody with money is going to have to disseminate your music and promote it, if you actually want a lot of people to hear it. I think it's great that for example, our own DJDM got his music placed on a major DVD and is making some bucks and getting exposure from that. More power to him!

I'm sure there are people who think in exactly the opposite direction. Everybody has to decide for themselves what's whoring and what ain't, I suppose. And the fans are certainly going to have their opinions too, which is fine. Everybody feels passionately about their favorite (or least favorite \:D ) artists and that's a good thing.

Radio KIRA

#9498 - 05/08/04 06:44 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
John O. Lennon Offline

Loc: here, there, almost everywhere
Quote:
Originally posted by lakeside studios:
Quote:

That'd be "Brass in Pocket".
Thanks for the correction!

#9499 - 05/09/04 02:54 AM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
digibird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by fuzzbucket:
he started sucking the day that Peter Gabriel left Genesis. (I haven't been paying attention lately but I've heard that Peter Gabriel now sucks too).

#9500 - 05/09/04 02:59 AM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
digibird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by fuzzbucket:
he started sucking the day that Peter Gabriel left Genesis. (I haven't been paying attention lately but I've heard that Peter Gabriel now sucks too).
I strongly disagree with both of your observations.

"Trick of the Tail", one of the best Genesis albums ever, was Phil Collins' 1st as lead vocalist after Peter Gabriel left the group.

Peter Gabriel's latest CD "Up", and his latest concert DVD, "Growing up Live", are both excellent.

Sorry for the double post.

#9501 - 05/09/04 01:55 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
mjm Offline

Loc: London, England
Quote:
That's because MUSICIANS ARE WHORES!!!!!! We'll do ANYTHING FOR A BUCK!!!!
Totally and from my point of view (though I'll try my best), if a director tells me that he wants catchy, memorable (if somewhat banal) themes for his picture, then he gets them.

#9502 - 05/13/04 11:43 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
DirtyRubberDuck Offline

Loc: New Boston, MI
No, no no, you're all dead wrong. The descent of Mr. Phil started immediately upon his taking center stage in Genesis. He was still good then, but he was on his way down, and he started pretty high \:D But after taking over for Peter Gabriel, little by little, the ole ego started growing, getting bigger, and BIGGER, and pretty soon what started as a group of guys was now ONE guy and a supporting cast. Then the solo career. That was a big contributer too, cause niether Tony Banks nor Mike Rutherford's solo albums went anywhere, so now Phil was the undisupted leader, da Kingpin and the music became very one-dimensional. Sad but true, kiddies.

DRD

#9503 - 05/16/04 01:56 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
antimatter Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NY
Phil was really good in 'A Hard Days Night'. I'm not too crazy about his other work.

Seriously though, when Phil did that Live Aid show where he performed in London, then flew to the US and performed again, and he played that song, yeah that song. Gimme a bucket Dude, I think I'm gonna hurl.

#9504 - 05/16/04 02:40 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
shniggens Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Denvoid, CO
I don't think that good melodies are something that Phil Collins should be ashamed of. And he has plenty. I'm suprised so many people hate him.

#9505 - 05/16/04 03:46 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
nhcomp45@aol.com Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Nanticoke, Pa.
On this forum unless it's guitar based or blues based they hate it. In the real world I've never met anyone who said Phil sucked. I think Against All Odds is a well written, sung and produced song but there is no blues guitar in it so it automatically sucks in the majority of opinions around here. Paul.

#9506 - 05/16/04 06:29 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
Super 8 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Loves Park, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by nhcomp45@aol.com:
.it automatically sucks in the majority of opinions around here. Paul.
I wouldn't take those opinions too seriously.

I think people get on him about the Disney-fied stuff. Same with Elton John. You don't want to see Phil on the same bill with Celine Dion....

And a lot of older Genesis fans got a little pissed to hear "Invisible Touch" coming from essentially the same people who gave us "Lamb Lays Down on Broadway".....that's understandable.

But "Invisible Touch" is a really great piece of pop writing.

"In the Air Tonight" was a really cool song, that did well in the pop market, but was pretty unique for a 'pop' song. It also contains probably the coolest drum break in the history of Rock-n-Roll.

Sussudio was a cool pop tune....even though I just saw it listed on VH-1 as one the top 50 'Most Awesomely Bad Songs'. Which is really stupid because the only problem people had with it was that they didn't know what "Sussudio" meant. Who freak'n cares!!??? Should we say the Beach Boys sucked because they said 'Baaaahhh baaaahhh baaaaah' all the time??? Stupid! :rolleyes:

Phil actually did a lot of really cool stuff solo and with Genesis. But I really have to say that when I heard 'We Can't Dance', I was like; "Okay, where the hell are these guys going with this???"

So, I personally don't think Phil Collins sucks at all. He's a fine musician, and has made some significant contributions to music.

Hear my stuff here
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
-- George Bernard Shaw

#9507 - 05/17/04 11:45 PM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
Geetar Offline

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by TheWewus:
Screw you Eliot! I don't care who you know, you name dropping, nostalgia pandering, piece of crap!
Aw, snooochie, that's not showing the love, now, is it?!

Guitaravenue L.L.C.

#9508 - 05/18/04 12:06 AM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
Lee Flier Offline
10k Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Super 8:

Sussudio was a cool pop tune....even though I just saw it listed on VH-1 as one the top 50 'Most Awesomely Bad Songs'. Which is really stupid because the only problem people had with it was that they didn't know what "Sussudio" meant. Who freak'n cares!!???
Not me. I like nonsense lyrics. That's a lame excuse - there are sooo many OTHER good reasons why Sussudio sucks!! \:D

Radio KIRA

#9509 - 05/18/04 03:31 AM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
Jeff Klopmeyer Offline
10k Club

Loc: Redondo Beach,CA,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by nhcomp45@aol.com:
In the real world I've never met anyone who said Phil sucked.
Scientific proof that I live in a different real world than this gentleman. \:D

And Sussudio is on my shot list of "Worst Songs Ever". Near the top. ;\)

- Jeff

#9510 - 05/18/04 03:46 AM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
d gauss Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Somewhere in the Swamps of Jer...
<>

being a direct prince 1999 ripoff ranks pretty high on that list!

as for phil sucking... well he probably sucks less than tracii lords did in her day, but i give ol phil credit for one thing: in print saying how much carl palmer sucks as a drummer. you go phil!

-d. gauss

#9511 - 05/18/04 03:49 AM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
Jeff Klopmeyer Offline
10k Club

Loc: Redondo Beach,CA,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by d gauss:
but i give ol phil credit for one thing: in print saying how much carl palmer sucks as a drummer. you go phil!
Did he really? Cause my respect level for him would go up 13 billion percent if that's true.

No change of feeling about his music, though. ;\)

- Jeff

#9512 - 05/18/04 04:00 AM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
d gauss Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Somewhere in the Swamps of Jer...
yes he indeed did. something about "speeding up and zero feel." i'll look for a link.

-d. gauss

#9513 - 05/18/04 07:16 AM Re: How long has Phil Collins sucked?
Wewus432 Offline
10k Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Geetar:
Quote:
Originally posted by TheWewus:
Aw, snooochie, that's not showing the love, now, is it?!
Eliot, I didn't realize you were still around, but I thought it would be amusing to continue a conversation that's almost two years old. Probably would have been more amusing if you hadn't read that. \:D Ok back to the topic. Does too suck!

You haven't seen Poelo lately have you?

[To Edit or not to edit, that is the question]

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >