Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - monthly movie dues

New movie trends due to pandemic means to see all new movies I have to pay monthly dues.

Curious if anyone has added up all streaming services and internet connection. I haven't but it seems expensive with the likes of Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Disney, etc. and monthly high-speed connection.

I guess I won't be watching new movies.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife are considering HBOMax as this is the last weekend for Wonder Woman 1984. We already have Apple TV+, CBS All Access, Showtime, Fubo (for live broadcast stuff), and considering Disney+. I'm tired of people talking about what I "have to see on Netflix."

The one good thing is that most of them are month-to-month so you can come and go as you please.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I don't subscribe to any of the movie streaming services. I have Amazon Prime with include a a lot of movies and TV shows for free, some newer stuff is available for a fee. Trouble is the pricing for most the new movies is priced for family or group watching, being a single old guy that is too steep for me. The new movie Tenet was just on for a cheaper price than other new movies so I paid and watched it. Now I know why it was cheaper what a snoozefest.

I see Prime and Netflix (and HBO, which I'm going to get for Dune if nothing else) as more for shows than movies. There are some really good shows that have come out in recent years, really closer to movie quality than what used to be "tv show" quality. The cinematography in particular. Netflix has a lot of international shows which I really enjoy, as it provides settings that we here in 'murica don't experience often :). I've watched shows from Finland, Iceland, Wales and France among others. One month of all three of those I listed above is less than the price of taking two kids to a single movie, if you consider popcorn and drinks (which they do of course!)

Too much new content in too many places. The pandemic is creating a "gold rush," and everyone wants to cash in.

You need to learn "Effortless Mastery," to not get overwhelmed with the choices, considering we also have to practice, listen, produce, create, etc.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

My wife and I figure that we get a month's service for each of these streaming platforms for the cost of two bargain matinee tickets at an actual theater. We save a lot on theater trips and eating out these days, and watching this stuff and then arguing about it has been a staple of our relationship for over 30 years, so we figure it's a good investment.

We pay for HBO Max, Disney+, and Netflix every month (around $40 total), and we get Prime Video and Apple TV+ for free. We choose platforms based on content alone; for example, we dumped CBS All Access as soon as we binged Star Trek: Discovery.

Now, if only we could figure out where to stream The Orville, we'd be set...

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

We did the six-month promo for HBOMax last night. As I said, we wanted to see WW1984, but there was a question about one month or six. I handed the remote to my wife and told her to look around and see. She started digging around, saw they had tons of classic movies under the TCM brand (we lost the Warner channels when Fubo dropped them along with CNN at the same time they picked up ABC/ESPN/Disney stuff) as well as some classic TV series. "Sign up for six months."

Actually, I love the way CBS All Access works. You get all the current shows shortly after their broadcast (I'm not actually sure when) commercial-free if you're paying for the level, as well as live channels including sports. I wished that ABC/ESPN/Disney had the same deal as part of Disney+ before Fubo added them, because that would let me watch live sports on those networks. Imagine if all the WarnerMedia channels and shows were available under a "Warner All Access" or Plus. We wouldn't need a live TV provider, we could watch the networks we wanted and piece together our own packages. I'm not sure there's anything new I've been watching on NBC so I might not subscribe to that package.

CBS

ABC

Warner

Apple TV+

That would be around $50/month. I really wish we could piece together our own packages instead of only being able to get some stuff through vMVPDs.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI