Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moving Up from a Yamaha MX61 to ....... ? ?

Looking for some input from the forum...

An MX61 sits atop my stack (image below) over the Crumar Mojo 61 and Roland FP30, completing my mix of an e-piano, organ and synth (yeah, OK, so the MX is a "rompler").

As posted here once before, 4 decades ago I played with 2 Hammonds & Leslies, a Mini Moog and a Crumar string machine. As an "old-school rocker", so far I've avoided any modulars or Midi controllers as I like "playable keyboards", but I am starting to think about upgrades to my synth. I am not in a band now, only playing for fun at home and bringing my chops back into shape after way too many years of not playing enough. And I am loving it, learning some new music and prog bands, and writing songs again! Maybe post Covid and after retiring, I'll start a "Not Too Old to Rock 'n Roll, But Way Too Young To Die" rock band.

The main thing I'm really not liking about the MX is the lack of easy availability for user presets.......

But I don't see the need for an analog synth yet (might go modular Moog when I do).

A buddy suggested a Korg Kross 2 61 as that has 128 easily-added user presets and a sampler, plus recording capability -- but I've read the keybed is BAD on that board. Is it???

So now I'm trying to decide whether to jump up in price (almost 2X) to a Yamaha MODX6 or MODX7 (as I don't want a weighted-key 88 up on top).

......Or......

Do I sell the MX and the FP 30 and go for a MODX8 for the bottom? But that results in weighted keys below, without having both boards available for piano & synth jams.

Curious about your ideas or comments, thanks!

Old No7

VHS0DtE.jpg

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer have my piano sounds and my synth (and most rompler) sounds on different boards. Unless you feel particularly motivated to cut down from 3 boards to 2, I'd stick with the piano on bottom, organ in the middle, and synth/rompler on top. (Tangentially, a MODX8 on bottom would push your Mojo further back, which you may not find desirable.)

MODX6/7 keys are similar to your MX keys. Kross keys are less even from front to back (resistance increases substantially toward the rear of the key). How bothersome you find that only you will know.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Why the resistance to analog? They're a ton of fun and they sound awesome. The Korg Prologue 8 (49 keys, $999) is pretty close in price to the Korg Kross 2, it has hundreds of preset slots and massive 3rd party support for pre-made patch packages covering a huge variety of sounds.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

I prefer have my piano sounds and my synth (and most rompler) sounds on different boards.

What about playing MODX8 synth/romper sounds from the Crumar? I'm a little confused about the MODX's MIDI implementation, but it looks like it should be able to do that as long as you're not asking for anything very complicated.

What about playing MODX8 synth/romper sounds from the Crumar? I'm a little confused about the MODX's MIDI implementation, but it looks like it should be able to do that as long as you're not asking for anything very complicated.
Pitch/mod wheels missing? This is where the Numa Organ demonstrates foresight. Hammond SK-Pro also.

Consider the Roland FA07 (or FA06 if you can tolerate the worse-but-not-quite-as-krap-as-Kross) as an alternative to the MODX - it has a VA (not FM) engine, which might be more up your street.

Cheers, Mike.

The Crumar does at least have a nice shift+button function that turns Local Off and turns an alternate MIDI transmit channel on, so you can toggle the board between being an organ and being a controller for an external sound, so it could be a reasonable scenario. But patch selection can be awkward, in that there's no quick, easy way to independently select the sound you want to be playing from the MODX's internal keys and the sound you want to be playing from external keys.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Moving forward from the MX61, a MODX 6/7 would ultimately give you the same core set of Voices, plus a great deal more - new and expanded AWM2 Voices, 8-operator FM, large touchscreen-based interface...

I have a MODX 8, and enjoy it a lot.

Going a different direction, I like the Prologue 8 idea mentioned earlier. Lots of power in that compact, analog polysynth.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Avoid the Kross - it won't be much of an upgrade from the MX. You mention that you use the MX61 for e-piano, organ and synth. The Kross will be inferior for e-piano and organ, and depending on the kind of synth sounds you use, it may be inferior for that as well. It's mostly useful for EDM synths.

The keybed on an FA-06 will be worse than the Kross, but the Kross isn't great. That said, for an upper-tier board where you aren't probably reaching to the back of the keys, the action might be fine. My Krome 61 has the same action and it's only annoying if I'm playing it at piano-level.

A MODX-6 or 7 would fit the bill. Do you need pitch and mod wheels right next to the keys though, or are you okay with them above? They're up above on the MODX.

The MODX6/7 keys will be an upgrade from the MX keys, but not the cream of the crop either. I thought they felt decent enough. Definitely better than the FA-06 and Krome 61 keys. Oddly enough the MO*X*F 6 keys were bad enough that I went with a Krome, which says something lol. But the MODX keys seem to be a nice upgrade from the previous model.

Just thinking out loud here, but if you wanted to get more into the synth side of things, a Novation Summit could be right up your alley and in about the same price range as the MODX. There's also the Korg KingKorg, but that has the Krome action (but sounds good). Also the Studiologic Sledge.

Otherwise, for an all-around board where you don't need lots of assignable midi channels and a sequencer, I'd say the MODX would be a good pick. Or a PC4-7.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

You mention that you use the MX61 for e-piano, organ and synth.

Roland FP30 for e-piano, Crumar Mojo 61 for organ, and MX61 for synth

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PC3K6--kurzweil-pc3k6-61-key-synthesizer-workstation

True flagship board for the cost of an lower tier instrument. The build quality smokes EVERYTHING in this price range. I know these things because I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

PS - if you want a flagship board I would move fast. Use the interest free financing if needed because I reckon when these are gone they are gone. Being replaced by the K-2700. Depends if you want a player or a thing with the latest sounds.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

You know what would be a nice rig? Replace the MX and the Crumar with a Hammond SK-Pro. Gives you monosynth, ROMpler and clonewheel in one non-hammer board. (I know it's an answer to a question you didn't ask, but it relates to the jam requirement mentioned towards the end of your post).

Cheers, Mike.

You mention that you use the MX61 for e-piano, organ and synth.

Roland FP30 for e-piano, Crumar Mojo 61 for organ, and MX61 for synth

I see. My mistake, thanks!

If you're just using the MX for synth and want something else, a Korg KingKorg, Novation Summit, Korg Prologue, or similar should suit you just fine. If you want other sampled sounds, go for the MODX or PC3K6.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Maybe you might consider some flavor of last gen Nord.....at least the keys are good :)

The MODX below 88 don't seem great, which is why they are such a good deal.....That PC3 looks cool, PC4 is pretty good deal, you might refer to the big keyboard keybed lists floating about. For synth action TP8S rules but very hard to find, however the TP9S which I just got in a controller I think is great, light years nicer than a new to me MOXF, where they play quite decently, but yikes, so plasticy. MODX7 maybe a little nicer, but some say very similar. The MOXF are very affordable now, and I am enjoying it. It's like supercharged MX, with step sequencer sound card etc, and if you look hard 600 (for 61). But keys are the weak link. Good news is its only 16-17 lbs :) A Motif XF would be sweet, and I suspect the DACs are better.

As much as you have played, you gotta have some sweet keys I think....People cry about the Roland FA-06 keybed also. Plastic is a bit OOC as cost cutting measure last few gens, but there must be some exceptions.

Here is a fairly up to date list of the keybeds:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=15088237&postcount=159

Fatar is easy to track, the yamaha ones harder. Your MX is par for affordable course, but you must want nicer.....

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments.