Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pipe Organ on craigslist

Easily in my top 5 coolest things I've seen for sale on craigslist.

Way out of my budget, space available, ability to play keyboards ranges. You'd want a great sounding room for this.

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/msg/d/blaine-3011-rieger-pipe-organ/7200280486.html

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd want a great sounding room earplugs for this.

Fixed.

Curiosity question (I have no connection with the seller and know nothing about the item).

It is loud or does it just sound bad? Personal experience? It looked pretty cool to me, maybe that's all it does - look cool?

I dunno, never saw a pipe organ of any kind for sale up here before.

Would be nice to see a stop list. 5 ranks maybe? Is it fully functional?

I've honestly no idea. I am sharing it because it looked pretty awesome, I've never seen it or heard it.

I thought maybe one of our forumites might want to check it out and maybe would have a home for it.

Great questions though...

In the late 80's, I worked on electronics of several of Rodgers smallest model with pipe ranks (plus electronic ranks). The instrument had 8 ranks of wind-blown pipes (4 principals and 4 flutes - in 8', 4', 2', and 1' registrations), lower notes and mixtures were electronic, pedals were electronic. These were small enough to fit in larger homes. The lower pitch 8' ranks were in side cabinets, and the higher pitch ranks were just in front of the organist, about 3 feet from playing position. Man, what a sound, kind of "in your face."

At the time, they made combination instruments with up to 20 or so ranks, in 3 or 4 manuals. A lot of the larger instruments could be configured for certain ranks to be either electronic or wind-blown (depending on which pipes were purchased and installed along with the electronics).

That instrument could have a really great sound. But, if one goes for pipes, figure on keeping the room temperature same within a degree or two, and having a tuning done at least once a year. Many modern consoles and pipe racks are all connected and controlled with electronics, "tracker touch" instruments are totally mechanical (and the pressure needed to depress keys or pedals increases as the number of drawn stope). They are also expensive, and usually require modifying the buildings that costs more than the instrument itself.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

When I was a kid, a large, older church nearby was having a tracker organ installed. They tore out quite a bit of the sanctuary... floors, walls, even some of the ceilings. I"d ride my bike there after school and they were nice enough to just let me watch in wide-eyed awe as they installed all the intricate linkage in the floor and walls from console to pipe.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Fixed.

Curiosity question (I have no connection with the seller and know nothing about the item).

It is loud or does it just sound bad? Personal experience? It looked pretty cool to me, maybe that's all it does - look cool?

Loud, I imagine. It would depend on how much pressure the pipes require to speak. It couldn't be too excruciating as it's in a standard room. Organs are voiced to the size of the room, ideally. Still, though, those reeds (the metal pipes) are going to get your attention.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Fixed.

Loud, I imagine. It would depend on how much pressure the pipes require to speak. It couldn't be too excruciating as it's in a standard room. Organs are voiced to the size of the room, ideally. Still, though, those reeds (the metal pipes) are going to get your attention.

Thanks, loud is usually better than bad, depending on how loud!

I would think they would lacquer it to prevent oxidation, but then I'm about full-up on lacquer thinner fumes at the moment, just having come in from spraying wash coats on a bass neck and an entire bass. I might not be thinking straight. I've got a guitar coming along, but it's not far enough to be thinking lacquer yet.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I would think they would lacquer it to prevent oxidation, but then I'm about full-up on lacquer thinner fumes at the moment, just having come in from spraying wash coats on a bass neck and an entire bass. I might not be thinking straight. I've got a guitar coming along, but it's not far enough to be thinking lacquer yet.

Grey

I hate lacquer thinner with 1,000 scathing hates!!!!

I used to do lacquer finishes on guitars, mostly touch up.

Then I worked in a print shop in aerospace, making placards for interiors. All the seat designations, the "how to change your baby on our plastic shelf" signs, everything.

When I started, we were doing silkscreen printing and the inks required lacquer thinner to clean the screens. We had full PPE and the ventilation system was strong enough to suck poodles through the fan and out into the world.

We went through an average of 55 gallons of lacquer thinner every six months. Gave me the creeps just being around it.

When the new president showed interest in my stellar Lean skills, I started a campaign, connected with the head of engineering and while it took a year, I got the company to buy a $110,000 UV cured inkjet printer.

This meant rewriting a large document and getting FAA approval on the new document.

It wouldn't be a good printer for putting finishes on guitars but it was a great placard printer and very conservative of resources with zero VOC's (Volatile Organic Compounds).

PS, I have no idea about the pipes but you are probably correct. Another reason to keep the organ in a temperature controlled room, metal pipes will expand and shrink and once the lacquer hardens it will crack, allowing tarnishing to start back up. Ugh, just chrome plate them things!!!! :laugh: