Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using the Montage 8 as a Master Keyboard

I've been playing the Montage 8 the last few days, and it's an amazing keyboard. I love the keybed coming from an S90.

I'll be using it as my master keyboard. I have a lot of orchestral libraries, Spitfire, Vienna Symphonic, etc... I'd like to utilize the 8 faders on the Montage to control CC# 21 to 28.

Is there an easy way to achieve this?

Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would highly suggest going to page 53 of the Owner's Manual to get the very basics of using your Montage as a Master.

i.e. turn zone settings on, etc.

Then, you just need to mess around. The Montage/MODX can go very deep as far as what it can do as a master (a lot more than it can do as a slave keyboard).

You can have up to 8 zones used as master, so each Performance can be setup a variety of ways to control internal and external sounds/gear.

I believe there's a couple tutorials up on Youtube and Yamaha's site that go over this.

There's way too much to get into here.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

You're welcome!

According to Phil (BadMister) at YamahaSynth

Unfortunately the faders either send SYSEX or CC# 7 . They are not assignable as far as being able to assign different CC#'s to them. Only the knobs and button can have specific CC# assigned to transmit.

Yamaha Synth

David

David,

Great news. I can use the Montage sliders to send CC# to Kontakt, in this case for the Spitfire library.

On the Montage, go to Remote and press the Plugin button on the display. To change the CC for each slider, click on the Edit button on the right corner of the display. ð

Now I need to know how to save this in the Montage so that I don't have to do this every time I turn the keyboard on.

I'm not familiar with Spitfire libraries.....

I found this option best to initially try out a Spitfire Library : https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/bbc-symphony-orchestra-discover/

Either $49 - or free if you just wait 2 weeks. And it is pretty impressive, IMO .. and no Kontact player required either..

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

David,

Great news. I can use the Montage sliders to send CC# to Kontakt, in this case for the Spitfire library.

On the Montage, go to Remote and press the Plugin button on the display. To change the CC for each slider, click on the Edit button on the right corner of the display. ð

Now I need to know how to save this in the Montage so that I don't have to do this every time I turn the keyboard on.

Awesome! Yes, sorry it's been so long since I've done programming on my MODX6, I forgot Yamaha added the capability with the latest firmware update.

SInce I don't really use my MODX as a Master, I never messed with the new "remote/VST" stuff.

David

I found the Remote section by fluke. I think BadMister was using an older firmware in his post. Just glad I can do this. One of the reasons for getting the Montage was to use the sliders to send CC#.

I'm not at the keyboard at the moment, but if I save the Performance, will the CC# changes be saved as well? Thanks!