Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Novation Impulse 61 questions

I would like to tap into the knowledge base of Novation Impulse owners....

I have a couple functionality questions regarding this keyboard. I'm thinking of purchasing one and downloaded the manual and read it front to back but am unclear on two scenarios that I have detailed below.

My questions are:

1) I want to set the Novation to MIDI channel 1 and have it control an organ sound module and play the upper keyboard, so the keybed and controls would send to an organ module on MIDI channel 1. Simultaneously I want to have a 2nd keyboard send on MIDI channel 2 into the Novation's MIDI In and that keyboard would send just the lower keybed information, i.e. the lower manual keys. Is this possible with the Impulse? The manual doesn't speak much at all about "MIDI In" functionality. So I'm looking at a MIDI Merge situation where I want the keyboard to generate MIDI channel 1 data while simultaneously receiving MIDI channel 2 data and passing both sets of data simulaneously to an organ module.

2) I want to setup 2 zones on the Impulse. Zone 1 would send on MIDI Channel 1 and I would like to transmit all MIDI data from the Impulse including Keybed data; Zone 2 I would like to transmit MIDI controlling data but not send keybed data (just controllers only) and this zone would transmit that MIDI controlling data (without keybed data) on MIDI channel 2.

Would these scenarios work with the Impulse? If not, is there a lightweight, inexpensive 61 key controller that can accommodate the above 2 scenarios?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this doesn't answer either of your questions, but make sure you try out an Impulse in person. I was all set to buy one until I discovered how crappy the keys were - very loose and plastic-y with a strange tension.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Funny how the Impulse was billed as a 'semi-weighted' keyboard. Doesn"t feel weighted at all to me and anyone expecting a piano feel would be justifiably upset. IMHO it"s synth action.

On the midi side of things I see where the op is going but I can"t help right now because of a very nearby lightning strike that took out my usb/midi interface.

Midi thru would be handy if it works especially if outbound on usb.

(Until the lightning strike I had faux Hammond pedals on midi channel 3.)

Your question here may actually lead me to a workaround while my 'hub' is out for repairs.

(Bass pedals set to ch.3 into Yamaha P slab, slab ch.2 into Impulse, all of it into B-3X, maybe.)