Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Headworn mics - uni or omni?

I've seen a couple of posts where brothers have mentioned they use headworn mics...heading into a new band in which I'll probably need one, so my question is what is the consensus (if any?) on using a uni-directional or omni-directional system? I know the differences haha, asking more about user experiences with either or both.

Thanks

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends. Will it double as a vocoder mic? and Are you on IEMs.

My favorite is omnidirectional micro condenser mics like Countryman. The Samson DE50X also works well for 25-30% of the cost. But if you"re on wedges it will squeal like a Motherhubbard. Also these make horrible, horrible vocoder mics. They are too sensitive. Simply unusable as a vocoder mic.

I have a Shure WH20 dynamic unidirectional that works well for both. It"s also very old. There are probably better choices out there for a unidirectional mic. Something with a more comfortable headset. I used a Radial AB box to route the Shure to either FOH snake or to the vocoder. If I wasn"t on a vocoder combi it doubles as a kill switch.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Thanks, no, no vocoder duties and no IEM's :)

I am trialling a AKG ME 3 -II but the boom is so short, I need to yank the gain heaps..afaik it's an omni..

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

We used directional DPA's for the reverend at the church I worked on media team for. He spoke it a wide range from whispers to almost screaming so we need the headset mic with highest SPL rating and DPA was it. The omni's we tested would pickup too much other sounds than the rev'.

Thx Docbop - the ones I am looking at are around 135 SPL, and a bit above, which should be ok...I was leaning toward a uni-directional for those very reasons - picking up too many other sounds!

DPA often recommends its omnis placed extremely close to the speaker's mouth, as they give the most even frequency response, but they make cardioids because they acknowledge that that's not always possible. If you're on stage with loud wedges, an omni is not going to do the job. When I play on stage, I monitor on headphones with no wedges and the instruments are electronic so there is no bleed, so an omni works great for me, but it doesn't sound like that will be your experience at all....

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Thanks MIke - I tried IEMS but could not get through how the vocal just sounded so wierd, like talking with blocked ears haha. I think I'll go the uni route.

Uni - omni will pickup the drums if you have a drummer!

Been using a Shure Beta 53 for 5 years now -expensive but worth it, crystal clear.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Been using a Shure Beta 53 for 5 years now -expensive but worth it, crystal clear.

Thanks - I'll have a look at it

The SHURE SM35 is an Uni head worn condenser mic. $99.

Worth a look. https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/microphones/sm35

The WBH53 is a step up in a few ways, at $299 it better be. But its design is Omni.

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/microphones/wbh53

Normally I"d just walk into the shop and ask the pro audio guys to pull them both and give them a go.

But right now, who the hell knows. I guess call your sales rep at your shop of choice and have them mail you the two and send back the one you don"t want.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

yeah it would be nice Elmer, but I'm about 6 hour round trip away from a store, and they don't do that here, returns under those circumstances I mean. In Oz, once you buy it, only if it's faulty or not fit for purpose can it be returned. wrong choice does not come into it haha!

Thanks - I'll have a look at it

SORRY! Got that wrong - I have the Beta 54 which is supercardiode - the 53 is omni.

I see it has been discontinued and replaced with the WBH54 - Elmer mentioned the 53 above.

It's £300+ however

https://www.shure.com/en-GB/products/microphones/beta_54

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

For speaking, like a pastor or presenter, I generally lean towards omni, assuming proper speaker placement and no wedges. For singing, I'd probably go with a directional headset due to the (likely) other stage noise from the rest of the band, regardless of IEMs. The AKG CM311 (formerly Crown CM311) is the standard for singing vocals and has been for many years (the "Garth Brooks" mic).