Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Ferris Bueller Emulator II Scene

I"d be lying if I said this scene didn"t have an impact on me... I was 11 or 12 at the time, and it piqued my interest further into synthesizers and samplers.

I don"t know much about the Emulator II, so I don"t know if these were factory sounds (foley effects) or specially created for the movie.

Enjoy -

[video:youtube]

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I used one at an electronic music studio I worked at, back when they were the new hotness.

I can say that with a microphone and an Emulator 2, you could make all those sounds yourself in short order.

Fortunately, they were pretty darn easy to sample with - there were no commercial sample libraries available. Floppy disks were duplicated and traded amongst owners.

Moe

---

Epic scene from one of my favorite movies. I was a teenager and had started collecting synths, though a higher end sampler like the Emulator II was unobtainium to me at that time. I think they were like $8-10k, which was a decent chunk of change in the '80s. Though nowhere near the cost of a Fairlight or Synclavier. It was crazy how much investment was required back then compared to today.

It was the next version I lusted after. This is one of the largest rack mount synths/samplers I can remember:

ccs-3-0-88895800-1462118852.jpg

The keyboard version was even more insane. With the possible exception of a Waldorf Wave, I don"t think there has ever been a larger or deeper 61-key synth/sampler.

6c1a1df4d8d0d6f30b70d9b2f802ec7f.jpg

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I remember seeing this in the '80s, having scraped all summer to buy a Korg Poly-800, and thinking, "What a privileged little bastard."

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Two words. Mia. Sara.

Amen to that! I was channel surfing not too long ago and Bueller was on. Just had to stop and watch a while, especially her.

I remember seeing this in the '80s, having scraped all summer to buy a Korg Poly-800, and thinking, "What a privileged little bastard."

Yeah, me too. I was rocking my DW-6000 at the time that I bought with some student loan surplus for $800. This little sh*t had a multi-thousand EII and couldn't play a lick and he was much better looking than me with a hotter girlfriend!

Late 80's I spent a lot of time with an Emax. The church I was involved in at the time bought one of those for orchestral sounds and I was the primary operator. Swapping and loading 3.5" floppies in between measure breaks. I remember the brass being quite good, especially french horn, strings and woodwinds were fairly good. I remember the Hammond floppy had a sequence with a piece of that Argent song - Hold your Head Up. Hammond sounds were pretty good for the day, obviously no drawbars to push/pull, all presets and no leslie but the samples did sound good. Also used the pipe organ samples occasionally.

I never got into sampling with it, strictly playing presets with the Emu supplied floppies. It was a pretty reliable machine, I never had it fail on me but I never took it to a club on a gig, strictly used it at church and home. The church eventually dumped it in the early '90s, they traded it for a Roland U220.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack