Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: signing merch

I feel stupid doing it but then sometimes wonder how much some random person has in their home, most of what I've beenasked to sign over the years has been in the context of cover bands which makes it that much more weird. We're a local band playing other people's stuff and you want my autograph? Ok. But I was reflecting on exactly HOW MUCH I've signed over the years, and it's a lot. It dawned on me how weird it would be when I'm decades gone from this earth after my passing and my grandkids randomly go to a friend's house and see some random cover band tshirt autographed by me, lol. Just feels weird.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird is right!

I think it could be weirder to deny an autograph! It sounds like you have left quite an impression on fans and am glad they show appreciation, Dan!

Did you happen to see the Last Dance doc on ESPN? There is a scene where an audio tech gets scolded after asking for Michael Jordan"s autograph. Jordan just stares at him and then a handler.

I digress, if someone has an autographed t-shirt on display decades after your death, good on you!

When people were asking me for my autograph in the 70s, it just devalued the whole concept of autographs for me. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Willie Nelson offered to sign my wife's boob once. That conversation didn't end well.

I never offered to sign a body part. They were always willingly presented. One young lady asked for my underwear. My wife, who was standing right behind her said half under her voice, "Come to my house. I'll give you the whole damn laundry basket."

When Peter Gabriel was promoting his first solo album at a meet-and-greet, a bearded fan asked him if he would autograph his knockers and then produced a mannequin bust. Peter had a good laugh as he obliged. Genesis bandmates Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford were in attendance, but Phil Collins was nowhere to be seen. It was later noted that the fan looked a lot like Collins...

I feel stupid doing it but then sometimes wonder how much some random person has in their home, most of what I've beenasked to sign over the years has been in the context of cover bands which makes it that much more weird. We're a local band playing other people's stuff and you want my autograph? Ok. But I was reflecting on exactly HOW MUCH I've signed over the years, and it's a lot. It dawned on me how weird it would be when I'm decades gone from this earth after my passing and my grandkids randomly go to a friend's house and see some random cover band tshirt autographed by me, lol. Just feels weird.

I think it is great.

It is a very cool thing for your grandkids to come across. I'd love to have tangible things like this from my family tree.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

ONE time, we opened for Suzy Boggus in Sacremento and a Mom with 3 cute young daughters came up and said her daughters wanted our autographs.

They had a double sized Suzy Boggus bumper sticker and a Sharpie. The youngsters sort of huddled around Mom and looked both delighted and shy.

I was honored, truly. If there is only going to be one time, it was a good one!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.