Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Samson Graphite 49 for B-3X?

Looking at the specs/features/price online, the Samson Graphite seems like it might be a decent small footprint controller for the B-3X app.

The most obvious question is will an exp pedal such as the FC7 work? There"s only one pedal input factory set for cc64 but it can be reprogrammed. I do see the input is TS; FC7 is TRS so I"m thinking that"s a dead end (pardon the pun).

If anyone can chime in here it"d be most helpful!

Here for the gear.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't get the foot pedal port to work properly with an FC7. I did have some luck with an old Rolls TS pedal, but only got 50% travel. I gave up and bought a Midi Expressions inline adapter that accepted the FC7 quite nicely. The only other gripe I have is it needs to re-learn the pedal port assignment for fast/slow every time you fire it up.

The Graphite 49 is wonderful if you are willing to accept 4 octaves. When IK introduced the keyboard split I relegated mine to studio only use and picked up an M-Audio Oxygen 61 and thats become my gig board. The Graphite does work nicely with B3X and the sliders work well. I assigned buttons for various vibrato and percussion functions and used two rotary pots for Chorus/Vibrato select and Volume. It is well built, decent key feel, and lots of memory slots for various applications. For the price it punches well above its weight class. If it did have 5 octaves it would have been perfect for my needs.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Yeah, no expression pedal support on the Graphite. A TS connector only has two states, so it's fine for an on/off function like a standard )not half-pedaling/continuous) sustain pedal, but won't work for expression. An adapter like the one from MIDI Expressions is the solution, as long as the thing you're controlling works with USB (so a laptop or iPad is fine).

I'm surprised about anything needing to "re-learn the pedal port assignment for fast/slow every time you fire it up" -- a B3X limitation? Can't save the settings?

Novation Impulse is not waterfall, they keys are lipped.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Novation Impulse is not waterfall, they keys are lipped.

I always wanted to take a dremel and carefully grind off that annoying piano lip on my square front keys. I have a dremel and some time....

This has occurred to a lot of folks, I bet. it'd be painstaking and you'd have to be very careful not to leave any burrs to catch you on fast smears and bloody up your keybed.

BTW, another big upvote for the Graphite 49. You can program it directly if you don't want to use the software app, the keybed is very nice (and has pressure) and the pads are very nice (and have poly pressure). I was peripherally involved with the development process and I love it, and it's so cheap that I gave mine away to a friend who'd lost everything in her studio in a nasty divorce. I will get another one someday, just to have handy in the closet for visitors.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music