Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

External hard drive for Macbook / Abelton

Does anyone use an external solid state drive like the LaCie 1TB (model number STHR1000800)? My Macbook Pro is about 4 years old and I want a really good solid state drive to store virtual instruments, possibly Omnisphere, etc.

It would probably be better to have 2TB but I can't find one with the same speed specs as the LaCie model I'm talking about. Anybody got some advice on this?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use 1 TB drives, internal and external, all the time for this sort of thing. In my experience it's rarely necessary to shell out for a specially built LaCie or other ruggedized drive unless you really do enjoy throwing your tech around. Since I have access to a MicroCenter, I just go in and buy a naked Samsung EVO SSD in the appropriate size and an empty enclosure so I can build my own. About the only thing you want to be sure to get is USB 3.0 or USB 3.1/USB-C connectivity, for the fastest possible data transfer rate.

At this precise moment in time, the prevailing wisdom (which is a combination of 10% hard data and 90% squishy feelings) is that SSDs beyond 1 TB aren't a good investment yet. There are larger ones, but they're much more costly per Megabyte and not as proven to be reliable.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

You're only going to be as fast as the port you're plugging the drive into. So you need to factor port speed in so that slower 2TB drive might perform as well as the 1TB drive. So the super fast SSD might be slower because it's causing lots of wait states with the drive and the OS.

I have a Samsung Portable SSD T5 running USB 3 with my 2014 MacBook Pro. It's 1tb.

I haven't used it for your application but I have noticed that moving files from the laptop to the hard drive (and vice versa) is very swift and painless.

It is also tiny and runs cool, I like it.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I have two LaCie 'Rugged' drives that are Thunderbolt and haven"t had any issues with either one ever. (Knock on wood)

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I have a Samsung T5, 500 GB. I actually have two but one is on an xbox :)

It makes a humongous difference with longer loads, especially with my older computer than has a 5400 built-in drive. I use Garritan CFX lite for piano and my loading time went from 3-4 minutes to 5-10 seconds.

Does anyone use an external solid state drive like the LaCie 1TB (model number STHR1000800)? My Macbook Pro is about 4 years old and I want a really good solid state drive to store virtual instruments, possibly Omnisphere, etc.

It would probably be better to have 2TB but I can't find one with the same speed specs as the LaCie model I'm talking about. Anybody got some advice on this?

I use a couple of StarTech HD "toasters" and simply pop HDs in and out of them as needed. The extra HDs that are not in the "toaster" are kept in a Pelican-type case that is waterproof and has foam enclosures. These are kept off-site. I also back up to the "cloud". As Mike Metlay pointed out, this is considerably less expensive than purchasing individual HDs with rugged enclosures. Furthermore, from my personal experience (so note that this is a small sample size based on my experience as well as those of some of my friends), unless you purchase something like Glyph, it's often the exterior enclosure that fails before the HD.

I hope this helps.

I have two LaCie 'Rugged' drives that are Thunderbolt and haven"t had any issues with either one ever. (Knock on wood)

I tried to order one from OWC a month ago and they are no longer available. I have Logic Pro on a MacBook Pro and would like to store the instrument library on an external Thunderbolt or USB3 SSD. Not many options out there, will check out the Samsung.

Of course it depends on your workflow but for most things, you don't actually need screaming NVMe speeds to stream audio. Any decent SSD and a USB3 or better connection and you should be good. I've bought bare OCZ 2.5" SSDs and put them in inexpensive Inatek USB3 cases with UASP. Over the last few years they've been flawless.(I know, I shouldn't have typed that just now!).

Two Samsung T5 drives here, 1TB and 2TB.

Tiny, fast, cool, and not too expensive.

Did I mention tiny?

Very good call there, I don't think these can be beat at the moment. I was going to suggest an option of grabbing a bare 1tb ssd (about 100 for a little older one) and a 7 dollar usb adapter, but yours is better.

Link Below:

T5 Drive

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Thanks for all the great feedback.

Can anyone recommend a high-end WIndows laptop for music production and live performance? I have a 2015 Macbook Pro and I'm thinking of switching to Windows because (a) I'm using Ableton, and (b) new Macbooks, while really good, are very expensive. Plus I'm not very good at working in a Mac environment (iOS).

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D