Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Metronome

YYB

The more I read, the more ways I see that there are to use a metronome to improve speed. I'm not talking about 'shredding' per se; just about trying to increase the tempo you're capable of with chord changes, a song, a tough lick, etc. If you feel like you've got a good approach with the metronome, could you share EXACTLY how you use it to improve speed?...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use a metronome, I use a Zoom RT-223 drum machine. It is far superior to a metronome, because I can program a variety of drum beats, as well as accompanying bass rhythms, and different drum sounds. I can set the beats per minute anywhere from 40 to 250. The best part is, you feel like you're playing with a very precise drummer, instead of tick tock tick tock etc.

If you get a drum machine, after you pick out your sound and beat pattern, start off at 60 beats per minute, and play a scale or something you're familiar with. Playing slow is more difficult than playing fast, because you have enough time in between beats to make you concentrate on the next note. Once you have 60 bpm down pat, move it up to 65 or 70, and practice until you can play a lot of things at different tempos.

I rock; therefore, I am.

Yeah. I mean, geez Shark. The man was asking about tempo and not styles or effects after all. ;)

Whitefang

He IS discussing an alternative method of monitoring/controlling tempo.

Stick to discussing recorded music, artists, music history and birthdays. It is in those areas that you exhibit a significant level of expertise.

If you play cool, you are cool.

Hmmm, I was pretty sure that I mentioned tempo in terms of beats per minute, which is rather specific. I looked back at what I wrote, and sure enough, I did indeed discuss tempo in terms of beats per minute, and practicing at different tempos.
I rock; therefore, I am.

The more I read, the more ways I see that there are to use a metronome to improve speed. I'm not talking about 'shredding' per se; just about trying to increase the tempo you're capable of with chord changes, a song, a tough lick, etc. If you feel like you've got a good approach with the metronome, could you share EXACTLY how you use it to improve speed?...

I'm +1 with Sharkman, Delta and Fred YYB. I have never used a metronome and thus I can't advise on "exactly" how to use one to improve speed. I would prefer using other tools (i.e. drum and bass machines, pedals, loopers, backing tracks, lessons, originals, YT clips, etc.) to play along and practice with as the tick tock tick tock of a metronome bores me. Others may find them a great tool so keep on seeking out their methods.

I would suggest taking on chord changes, lead licks, songs, etc. that are already within your speed range and within the genre you like best. Then pick a faster song that is the one that you want to work towards. Speed comes with practice automatically and is not as important as playing in tempo and being fluid with your chord changes, leads, key, vocal range, etc. Start slow and work up. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

YYB, lets say that over the weekend you go out and buy a drum machine that has the features you want, is easy to use, and doesn't cost much money. You go home, read the owners manual, find a rhythm that sounds good, and set it up to play a continuous 4/4 beat at 60 beats per minute to get you started. You grab your guitar and start playing a scale run, maybe in the key of C. So you go E F G A B C D E F G A B C D E F G, and then you give it a one beat pause and play that backwards (low E string up to high E string and back down to low E). You do that over and over until you play every note right on the beat.

Your next step is to raise the tempo from 60 to 65, and do the same thing over and over until you play every note right on the beat. And I do mean every note. You don't let any off tempo or missed notes slide by. Keep playing until you do it right. Then keep raising the tempo by five beats per minute (bpm) until you hit a speed that you're not keeping up while playing mistake-free. This is good. You now have a goal to reach the next time you practice.

This is a good time to try a new key, so you don't get tired of hearing the same notes over and over. Same thing, new notes to play. It might sound tedious, but you are creating a musical foundation to build on. Once you have this down pat, don't be afraid to ask for more ideas, because we have some exceptionally talented guitarists here who can help point you in the right direction.

I rock; therefore, I am.

OK. One thing being overlooked here is.....

YYB's budget. He(she?) never did state how much money was available, whether or not the metronome mentioned was mechanical( like the one my buddy used when learning classical guitar) or electronic. And if the suggestion to purchase yet another device without those making the suggestion pulling out their wallets, then those kind of suggestions should be made more cautionary. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I must admit, when I was trying to teach myself piano/keyboards I used a metronome. The drum loop was somewhat distracting plus the metronome just seemed to remind me of my school band director with his baton. Haven't had it out in many, many years though. Now it's so much better using the drum loops or bass loops. (Actually prefer the bass backing tracks).

But, to each his or her own! What works to make music better is the right answer.

OK. One thing being overlooked here is.....

YYB's budget. He(she?) never did state how much money was available, whether or not the metronome mentioned was mechanical( like the one my buddy used when learning classical guitar) or electronic. And if the suggestion to purchase yet another device without those making the suggestion pulling out their wallets, then those kind of suggestions should be made more cautionary. ;)

Whitefang

You may need to re-read the OP's post. They are asking how you use a metronome to improve your speed.

I know that A string. And what wasn't being asked was what anybody else preferred to use.

But also what wasn't mentioned was the kind of metronome the person was using. The old mechanical "wind-up" kind my buddy had, or one of those electronic kind that either gives off an electronic "beep" , a flash of light, or both.

Whitefang

Well, the way a lot of people use metronomes is to practice a piece or passage at a slow tempo and get it down cold, the right notes at the right time with clean execution and good tone and phrasing, say at 60 bpm. Then they play the same thing at 70 bpm until they nail THAT, and then move up to 80 bpm, etc.

That's all well and good unless you overdo it, but you could say that about just about ANYTHING.

After all, tsunamis are only WATER.......

Ok I get the drum machine, loopers( I have both). A metronome means you control in your ears mind the down beat, the swing and every other nuance. Some time simpler is better, Metronome apps are free.

But remember there is more than one way to increase speed, so do what works for you, and don't be afraid to try new ways, you may find it works too.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

IMHO using a metronome is not just about increasing speed and/or accuracy, but reducing the need for it altogether. That's why I prefer a simple tic/toc. For me, the speed can be increased gradually to help perfect execution, but the interval of the beat can also be increased to help the inner sense of timing. Once comfortable at a particular tempo, try setting it to just the downbeat of each measure and see how you do, or every 4 bars if you're humble enough. Or, just set it to the 2 and 4 (backbeat) and use it that way. Drum loops are great, but I find I tend to be more sloppy when hearing all the subdivisions rather than internalizing them. Just my .02.

For several years I used a Sabine MT-9000,Tuner/Metronome. The metronome function was very sophisticated. It did triplets, accented beats and all sorts of rhythms. It had a blue light (strong beats) and a red light (weak beats) and also functioned as flat/sharp indicators. It went tic/toc. I've never used a metronome that beeped. I would think that would be distracting.

For several years I used a Sabine MT-9000,Tuner/Metronome. The metronome function was very sophisticated. It did triplets, accented beats and all sorts of rhythms. It had a blue light (strong beats) and a red light (weak beats) and also functioned as flat/sharp indicators. It went tic/toc. I've never used a metronome that beeped. I would think that would be distracting.

I agree. When I saw one advertised somewhere, my first thought was...

"Can you change the key of the beep to the key you're practicing in so as to eliminate another distraction?"

The one that flashes a light would seem to me also, just as distracting.

@Larry----

An online "mechanical" metronome isn't really all THAT "mechanical", is it? ;)

Whitefang

@ Fang, It depends on your definition of mechanical. I don't think it is "mechanical" like the one your buddy used while learning to play classical guitar. I'm thinking it could be considered "electronic" as those are your two choices.
Take care, Larryz

Just make sure not to buy a mechanical metronome as they are horribly inaccurate. You need a level in order to place it properly, for any hope at all that its tick and tock will be the same length of time.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Ann P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico Bari, Dano Bari

Select Strat/Tele, Am Pro Jazzmaster, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, T64, PM2, EXL1, XK4, Voyager

Just make sure not to buy a mechanical metronome as they are horribly inaccurate. You need a level in order to place it properly, for any hope at all that its tick and tock will be the same length of time.

"We have the technology"!

But, I bet that in some "serious" school of music somewhere, they are still use the old fashioned mechanical ones.

That's a ffffact, J'J'J'J'J'J' Jack! Those were/are horrible.

I'll tellya what, I've gotten and enjoyed a lot of miles outta just using echo repeats to play against for timing and phrasing feel, not to mention using infinite-repeats as a metronome of sorts. Lotta fun and actually useful. UNLIKE the maddening old wooden torture-instruments that wooden 'pyramid' clockwork metronomes were. :crazy:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

To my knowledge, Electronic metronomes DO NOT BEEP! They "tic-toc" just like a mechanical model.

With no added comment, all I can say is I saw one that DID beep demonstrated at Marshall's Music in Allen Park, MI 'bout 20 or so years ago.

Whitefang

To my knowledge, Electronic metronomes DO NOT BEEP! They "tic-toc" just like a mechanical model.

With no added comment, all I can say is I saw one that DID beep demonstrated at Marshall's Music in Allen Park, MI 'bout 20 or so years ago.

Whitefang

Of course you did.

Beep tick or click find the one that works for you as to the mechanical ones Mozart used one, pretty sure it worked out for him. Once again I look at my metronome app and it beeps, vibrates, click and clacks, ticks, tocks . And my talktel just tick tocks . All this discussion over a small tool whats next the great capo debate . (just wondering).

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,