Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: AnotherScott] #2984958 04/13/19 04:41 PM
J
jerrythek Offline
MPN Advisory Board
Platinum Member
MPN Advisory Board
Platinum Member
J
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Originally Posted By: Brad Kaenel
Ordered an SV-1 73 from A-Z Prime to give it a try

Don't forget to check out the two free downloadable optional sound packs from Korg's web site.

This! A lot more variety of approaches to the sounds: slightly less dynamic on the low velocity range, which some people like, and probably better acoustic piano programs. Plus you'll get more bass splits and some cool layers. You'll need to use the editor to load them in/audition them.

Jerry

KC Island
Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: jerrythek] #2986772 04/25/19 05:54 PM
Mighty Motif Max Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Tried out the CP-88 over the last weekend. Liked what I heard. Electric pianos not my favorite, but everything else was pretty solid. Key action was a little heavier than I like but that's very subjective. I like that they have so many different pianos in it. And they brought back the S700. Wish they had the S6 from the Motif XF though, that one was great for ballads and worship music. The U1 upright was nice. Extra sounds were alright. The pads were definitely usable, wish there was more variety in the extra voices overall. But the ones there were were very nice.

The interface was "strange" but I never clicked with the Nord interface either. Forgot to try out the pitch and mod sticks (last board I checked before rushing out to an appointment). Build quality was very nice I thought. I don't like the feel of the toggle switches as I wonder about how they'd hold up long-term, just seemed a little thin.

Overall a nice board, not for me but nice.

Yamaha: Motif XF8/YS200/CVP-305/CLP-130/YPG-235/PSR-295/PSS-470
Korg: Krome 61
Roland: JV-1000
Casio: CT-370
Kimball Valencia/Broadway/Conn 465 w/144 spkrs/WCOC Reed Organ/Titano Virtuoso Converter
Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: Mighty Motif Max] #2986792 04/25/19 06:51 PM
Tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I found the EPs to very good. Haven't gigged with it yet, but that will happen soon. SUPER Easy to program as a controller.

A few quirks I discovered: you get 4zones PLUS the internal engine. Although the 4 zones can be split anywhere the internal zone can be split at One Predetermined point, just below middle C.

Also, when using with another midi device, you will need to go into the global menu and turn the midi transmit channel to off. Otherwise, if you call up a preset where you have all 4 external zones are disabled, you'll still transmit. It took me about 15 mins to figure out what was happening with it.

I havent read all 17 pages but I'll assume someone has gushed about the gorgeous feeling of the 73 keybed that only weighs 28 lbs.

I LIKE IT. She's a keeper.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.
Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: Tonysounds] #2986797 04/25/19 07:18 PM
kayriss Offline
Originally Posted By: Tonysounds

Good to hear! I can't wait to try one out. My bad back can no longer manage lugging my CP4 around. I'm considering the CP73 as my gigging machine, and leaving the CP4 at home for practicing. The NE6 is high up on my list to try too.

Kris
Casio PX-S3000, NE6D
Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: Tonysounds] #2986803 04/25/19 07:57 PM
J
jimkost2002 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
I found the EPs to very good. Haven't gigged with it yet, but that will happen soon. SUPER Easy to program as a controller.

A few quirks I discovered: you get 4zones PLUS the internal engine. Although the 4 zones can be split anywhere the internal zone can be split at One Predetermined point, just below middle C.

Also, when using with another midi device, you will need to go into the global menu and turn the midi transmit channel to off. Otherwise, if you call up a preset where you have all 4 external zones are disabled, you'll still transmit. It took me about 15 mins to figure out what was happening with it.

I havent read all 17 pages but I'll assume someone has gushed about the gorgeous feeling of the 73 keybed that only weighs 28 lbs.

Consider my response a gush, Tony!
I played both the 88 and 73 at the Sam’s at 34th St.
Both models FEEL and SOUND excellent.
Great stage pianos, especially the 73 for the compactness and ease of carry.
I’d get one definitely.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny
Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: Tonysounds] #2986819 04/25/19 09:02 PM
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club
10k Club
the internal zone can be split at One Predetermined point, just below middle C.

According to the manual, "The Split Point can be changed from the [SETTINGS] button
->Function”->Split Point”

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our new video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out!
Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: AnotherScott] #2986869 04/26/19 02:32 AM
Tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
the internal zone can be split at One Predetermined point, just below middle C.

According to the manual, "The Split Point can be changed from the [SETTINGS] button
->Function”->Split Point”

WOAH....how did I miss that? This one of the only manuals I HAVE read!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.
Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: AnotherScott] #2986871 04/26/19 02:37 AM
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I got a CP73. I'm trying to ramp up my gigging, and want to be able to roll with a 1 keyboard rig. The Crumar Seven will definitely have a role. Bigger shows, where I have more time and leisure, I'll take the Crumar and a top keyboard. But I anticipate the majority of my gigs will be more the kind where the convenience of one board outweighs the luxury of a more complex set up.

Soundwise, the CP does not, at this time, have much outside the pianos that interests me. But it's a very capable and easy to use controller.

The action is good enough for APs. It's quite good for EPs, which I use more of anyway. So from that standpoint it's "just right" for the job.

I wanted to set the CP up in my living room and move the Crumar downstairs, but my wife won't let me. Says the Crumar is far more stylish and helps "tie the room together." And she's right. She's always right.

Last edited by Adan; 04/26/19 02:38 AM.

Crumar Seven, Crumar Mojo 61, Korg Vox Continental, Yamaha CP73.

roccoromanucci.com
Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: Mjazz] #2986942 04/26/19 11:23 AM
Z
ziozeus Offline
Z
Originally Posted By: Mjazz
Originally Posted By: dsetto
It’s my understanding the Vel Sens Depth & Offset are not part of the CP4 SCM. Are these not on the new models? For me, they’re fundamental on CP4.

My sentiments exactly.

I searched for these in the owner's manuals on the new models, couldn't find them.

I don't know why they would be part of or limited to SCM. Seems like they're an essential element of how the keyboard translates player input into MIDI output values.

My sentiment also.

Piano sounds will always have flaws.

I have a CP4 and I well know that:
-Eq: CFX miss med freq (not the sample itself, but the 01 default sound choice from yamaha)
-Velocity curve: CF has a too wide curve
-Volume spectrum across the 88 notes: CFX miss some power in higher notes, S6 is nearly non audible in octave 4 to 5

(agree?)

these have to be tweaked, and you can in the CP4 (I would love options for volume spectrum though).

I doubt yamaha will nail them all in every AP sound.
I already see myself not using some of the piano in the CP88 beacause of some gamebreaker, hand tied.

We needed more knobs on that piano section (or some deep editing page, even on a pc external software module!)

Last edited by ziozeus; 04/27/19 05:11 AM.

Alessandro
Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: ziozeus] #2987185 04/28/19 01:40 AM
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: ziozeus

Piano sounds will always have flaws.

I have a CP4 and I well know that:

-Volume spectrum across the 88 notes: CFX miss some power in higher notes,
(agree?)

Agree.

Tonight I used my CP4 for the first time on a gig in months. It was a Jazzual at a Country Club out in Camarillo.

They gave me the option of playing the older Yamaha G3 that was there but I arrived 45 minutes in front of downbeat to check it out. First off it was white. Before I even touches it I thought to myself, when have you ever played a white piano that was well maintained and sounded good....like never ! After 15 seconds I came to the conclusion it was unplayable. The tuning was so out that no music could be made on that piano, by anyone.

Being prepared for such a situation, I had my CP4 in the car and humped that, along with one TT08A and my JMK Audio preamp into the place.

The sound running mono immediately sounded like major crap to me. I thought, ok it could be that even though I play this everyday, it's within a very controlled environment of my office with Senn HD650s. I haven't heard it in mono, through speakers, for sometime. Also, could have been because we were set up against a large glass window. Whatever the case I couldn't stand it. I went back to the car and brought in the other TT08A. I played some more with the eq, as well as experimented with the different mono CFX sounds. I got the tone better but still not good sounding. I was hearing some notes in the higher registers disappearing altogether. Along with a brittleness that I wasn't use to with the phones.

At this point I'm saying to myself- I wonder if the CP88 would sound better. idk

Not a good night for electronic keyboards. razz

Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: Dave Ferris] #2987199 04/28/19 07:14 AM
J
jimkost2002 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
It was the glass window, Dave!
I’ve never been able to get the sound I wanted when playing in front of one, at best.
At worst, it was a total nightmare.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny
Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: jimkost2002] #2987219 04/28/19 12:20 PM
M
Marillo Offline
M
I've owned the CP4 previously and now have a P515. I don't know if the CFX sample has been updated in the latter but it sounds better to me.

Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: Marillo] #2987292 04/29/19 01:17 AM
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Jim, I'm certain setting up next to the glass was the major problem. It might have been the worse the CP4 has sounded in almost 5 years of ownership.

Marillo thanks. My friend Pete Calandra, who I posted all those clips on in the P-515 thread, said the same thing. And he also remarked that it feels closer to a real piano.

For gigs though, 48.5 lbs + even a lightweight case is getting up there. It would have to sound head and shoulders better then the CP4 (at 38.5 lbs.) coming through the TT08As for me to even consider taking it out.

I've had the CP4 back in the confines of my office and using the HD650s again. I've been playing it throughout the day. It's like a completely different instrument compared to what I was using last night.

Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: Dave Ferris] #2987841 05/02/19 12:25 PM
K
keyboardologist Offline
K
Today I went to the official Yamaha Distributor/Demo/Showroom/Store in Athnes, Greece. No CP73 or CP88 available for demo or stock in warehouse and no P121 available for demo or stock either.
Yamaha did a great job with portable 73keys this year but local distributor isn't interested enough, only available for orders.
Kurzweil dealer opened a brand new Artis 7 for demo, I got the chance to mess around for more than 2 hours, but I didn't get in touch with the action and some of my daily sounds, EPs and Hams were not really my taste, because of their gain/tube amp sound which sounded good for distorted rock sound but not for jazz/soul sweet sounding.
So, back to my problem, how am I going to invest on a Yamaha CP73, which has 1800euro here, without physical playing with a demo unit? I don't get it. How they are going to sell that thing if they don't advertise it by the official distributor/saler? I could only order the P121, by playing the P125 which is available for demo and I know it's the same machine so the action is fine by me, but how can I A/B the P125 keyboard action with the CP73? OK, let's see, CP73 has similar action with the Montage 8. So if I like Montage action I will be ok with CP73? What does similar means? What about the sounds and interface? Youtube and reviews? No. Not to mention localstore installment plan (up to 36 without extra interent rate) which I can not take advantage.

I can only find one possible solution, order it online through an International music e-shop, test it and return it on 30-day money back warranty and if it's ok, order it from local distributor via installments and wait a month or two to arrive.

Is that ok with Yamaha and shopping policies because I'm not feeling really ok with that...

Sorry for my bad English people!

Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: keyboardologist] #2987859 05/02/19 01:40 PM
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: keyboardologist
Today I went to the official Yamaha Distributor/Demo/Showroom/Store in Athnes, Greece. No CP73 or CP88 available for demo or stock in warehouse and no P121 available for demo or stock either.
Yamaha did a great job with portable 73keys this year but local distributor isn't interested enough, only available for orders.
Kurzweil dealer opened a brand new Artis 7 for demo, I got the chance to mess around for more than 2 hours, but I didn't get in touch with the action and some of my daily sounds, EPs and Hams were not really my taste, because of their gain/tube amp sound which sounded good for distorted rock sound but not for jazz/soul sweet sounding.
So, back to my problem, how am I going to invest on a Yamaha CP73, which has 1800euro here, without physical playing with a demo unit? I don't get it. How they are going to sell that thing if they don't advertise it by the official distributor/saler? I could only order the P121, by playing the P125 which is available for demo and I know it's the same machine so the action is fine by me, but how can I A/B the P125 keyboard action with the CP73? OK, let's see, CP73 has similar action with the Montage 8. So if I like Montage action I will be ok with CP73? What does similar means? What about the sounds and interface? Youtube and reviews? No. Not to mention localstore installment plan (up to 36 without extra interent rate) which I can not take advantage.

I can only find one possible solution, order it online through an International music e-shop, test it and return it on 30-day money back warranty and if it's ok, order it from local distributor via installments and wait a month or two to arrive.

Is that ok with Yamaha and shopping policies because I'm not feeling really ok with that...

Sorry for my bad English people!

CP73 feels very similar to the Montage. Could someone be ok with the feel of the Montage but not be ok with the feel of the CP? It's possible, but not likely.

roccoromanucci.com
Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: Adan] #2987867 05/02/19 02:22 PM
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Originally Posted By: Adan
CP73 feels very similar to the Montage.

Is that evaluaton from personal expeience?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our new video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out!
Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: AnotherScott] #2987876 05/02/19 02:55 PM
J
jimkost2002 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J

Here’s an evaluation from personal experience:

Montage 8 and CP73 ARE similar but not identical.
Both are EXCELLENT actions with the CP having a bit more bounce and dig since there’s no afterouch strip in the CP.

I WOULD HAPPILY PLAY EITHER OF THESE AT ANYTIME!

Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: AnotherScott] #2987917 05/02/19 05:30 PM
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

It is, though I've only played a Montage in a store. Similar, not identical, they're in the same ballpark. I think someone who's familiar with the Montage action and likes it could order a CP73 sight unseen and feel pretty confident they're going to like it as well. The likelihood you'd return it only because of the action is pretty small.

roccoromanucci.com
Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: jimkost2002] #2987947 05/02/19 10:08 PM
J
jahfume Offline
J

So you are saying... you realy dig the key DIP on the Cp73 smile

Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: jahfume] #2988478 05/07/19 12:00 PM
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Pete Calandra's agent here again. grin

On FB he posted an ambient type electronic film score using the CP73 and MODX. Not my particular thing but I hear it as being done tastefully and musically, and I like the visuals. I know many people here are into this type of thing..

Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: Mighty Motif Max] #2988702 05/08/19 11:59 AM
Dockeys Offline
Originally Posted By: Mighty Motif Max
Tried out the CP-88 over the last weekend. Liked what I heard. Electric pianos not my favorite, but everything else was pretty solid. Key action was a little heavier than I like but that's very subjective. I like that they have so many different pianos in it. And they brought back the S700. Wish they had the S6 from the Motif XF though, that one was great for ballads and worship music. The U1 upright was nice. Extra sounds were alright. The pads were definitely usable, wish there was more variety in the extra voices overall. But the ones there were were very nice.

The interface was "strange" but I never clicked with the Nord interface either. Forgot to try out the pitch and mod sticks (last board I checked before rushing out to an appointment). Build quality was very nice I thought. I don't like the feel of the toggle switches as I wonder about how they'd hold up long-term, just seemed a little thin.

Overall a nice board, not for me but nice.

I finally got to try out the CP88 at a local store yesterday and I'd echo a lot of Mighty Motif Max's comments. Acoustic pianos nice, I preferred the Imperial, I thought the CFX was a little harsh but I had to use headphones that weren't great quality. Tried some eq but I think the problem lay with the headphones.

EP's lovely but I'm a big fan of Yamaha EP's. However I didn't think they were that different or better than anything Ive tried on the Motif XS/XF/MODX.

Action? I liked it. Not as bouncy as the CP4. (I took me a long time to acclimatise to the CP4 action but I love playing it as a controller for Pianoteq). It's definitely geared towards acoustic piano playing.

Interface....jurys out on this. I don't like the Nord layout. I could just never gel with it...too many buttons. This seemed easier to navigate but it would need some time. Im not sure it would be great for multiple patch changes on say a musical gig. The on/off switches for each part are small and could be susceptible to breaking with heavy use.

The extra sounds are a bit of a let down...not in terms of quality but in terms of quantity. Pads are nice but but everything else just seems like an afterthought. Much more scope for extra voices on the CP4. I know, I know, Yamaha are going to provide extra voices down the line but I imagine they'll be extra pianos with the odd lead/pad/bass.

I had it in my mind that the CP73 would be ideal for me, nice pianos, great weight factor, people were touting the action as being very similar to the Montage 8. Unfortunately there was no 73 in stock but I did try the Montage 8 and that action was nice. Not sure if its any different to previous ES/XS/XF8 models but felt similar. The CP88 is too heavy and expensive for me and I'm not even sure Id get the CP73 now. It's nice for a piano/ep gig but its never going to be a handy all in one board (I know its not claiming to be) but at the price I'd probably be better off with an MODX8 or even a Casio PX S3000.

I tried an MODX8 a few days ag. Great sounds and big improvement from previous generations but the GHS actions seems so sluggish. It was like the keys stopped halfway down . After having the MOX8 and MOXF8 I dunno if I could go back to that. I might take a punt with the Casio and start using it with the iPad Pro and see how that goes.

Casio PXS3000, MODX8, Hammond SK2.
Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: Dockeys] #2988834 05/09/19 12:00 PM
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Originally Posted By: Dockeys
Interface....jurys out on this. I don't like the Nord layout. I could just never gel with it...too many buttons. This seemed easier to navigate but it would need some time. Im not sure it would be great for multiple patch changes on say a musical gig.

For instant preset recall, you've got the favorites buttons on the left. I'm curious as to which boards have a style of interface you prefer.

The extra sounds are a bit of a let down...not in terms of quality but in terms of quantity.

Yeah, they're surpringly limited, making it I think an unlikely option as a one-and-only gigging board unless someone is primarily playing pianos, and similarly putting extra demands on your choice for something to pair it with, if you're going that route.

Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: AnotherScott] #2988837 05/09/19 12:15 PM
ElmerJFudd Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Interface....jurys out on this. I don't like the Nord layout. I could just never gel with it...too many buttons. This seemed easier to navigate but it would need some time. Im not sure it would be great for multiple patch changes on say a musical gig.

For instant preset recall, you've got the favorites buttons on the left. I'm curious as to which boards have a style of interface you prefer.

The extra sounds are a bit of a let down...not in terms of quality but in terms of quantity.

Yeah, they're surpringly limited, making it I think an unlikely option as a one-and-only gigging board unless someone is primarily playing pianos, and similarly putting extra demands on your choice for something to pair it with, if you're going that route.

I’m certain Yamaha has considered the conundrum of their customers in choosing CP88 or MODX8. You can’t get everything the other has - choose or get both.

Remember when the CP1 lacked all the ancillary AWM stuff from the CP5 and 50?

Live: Casio PX-560, Roland VR-700
Home: Rebuilt 1910 Chickering 5'2", Fender Rhodes MKI 88k, Yamaha S90ES
Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: AnotherScott] #2988895 05/09/19 04:21 PM
Dockeys Offline

Am used to the setlist feature of the Kronos and the generally bigger screen in more recent boards. I saw the live sets buttons but I didn't get a chance to play around with them.im sure given enough time I could learn to adjust to the layout. In theory I like the slightly stripped back nature of the cp series, in practice it might not work for me. YMMV. At any rate I only had about 25 minutes to play around with it, not nearly enough time.

Im a bit torn about the Modx8. I'm looking to get something lighter as the Kronos is proving too heavy for a lot of my gigs recently. The MODX8 I played in the store had a really shallow and almost lifeless action. Most unlike the previous Moxf and Mox ones which I had. I thought it was the same keybed? Perhaps the one in the store has been overplayed.

Anyway the search goes one....

Casio PXS3000, MODX8, Hammond SK2.
Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: Dockeys] #2988897 05/09/19 04:35 PM
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Am used to the setlist feature of the Kronos and the generally bigger screen in more recent boards. I saw the live sets buttons but I didn't get a chance to play around with them

They're just buttons you can assign whatever sound you want to (20 banks of the 8 buttons), basically like Kronos Set List slots, but unfortunately without the visual display of what sound is attached to them.

The MODX8 I played in the store had a really shallow and almost lifeless action. Most unlike the previous Moxf and Mox ones which I had. I thought it was the same keybed? Perhaps the one in the store has been overplayed.
The recurring question of what can make one GHS feel different from another...

Anyway the search goes one....

Maybe the forthcoming Kurzweill PC4?

Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: AnotherScott] #2989053 05/10/19 03:48 PM
R
RickShapiro Offline
R
I loved this keyboard but man did Yamaha miss the mark. All they had to do was get some bread and butter sounds in one of the banks. Not a single brass ensemble patch. I played the CP77 and would have bought immediately if it was not for the fact I would have to lug around another synth to supplement about a dozen of sounds need through the night. Nord with the sampling library just kills this offering.

Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: RickShapiro] #2989065 05/10/19 04:39 PM
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Originally Posted By: RickShapiro
I loved this keyboard but man did Yamaha miss the mark. All they had to do was get some bread and butter sounds in one of the banks. Not a single brass ensemble patch. I played the CP77 and would have bought immediately if it was not for the fact I would have to lug around another synth to supplement about a dozen of sounds need through the night.

Yeah, I'm surprised at the sonic gaps. On the bright side, it's also a 4-zone MIDI controller, so if you don't want to "lug around another synth" you also have the option of, for example, lugging merely an iPad and getting those missing sounds there (and there's a line input so you don't necessarily need a mixer or multi-input amp). Though for that, I wish it had a knob for controlling the volume of external sounds.

Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: AnotherScott] #2989087 05/10/19 06:17 PM
RedKey Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Yeah, I'm surprised at the sonic gaps. On the bright side, it's also a 4-zone MIDI controller, so if you don't want to "lug around another synth" you also have the option of, for example, lugging merely an iPad and getting those missing sounds there (and there's a line input so you don't necessarily need a mixer or multi-input amp). Though for that, I wish it had a knob for controlling the volume of external sounds.

Even better... a single USB cable does MIDI & Audio even with iOS devices.
CP73 and iPhone/iPad running Galileo 2, Korg Module, & Model D is a killer.

Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: RedKey] #2989091 05/10/19 06:29 PM
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Originally Posted By: RedKey
Even better... a single USB cable does MIDI & Audio even with iOS devices.

Cool. I thought it might, but I wasn't sure.

Re: Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread [Re: AnotherScott] #2989197 05/11/19 03:47 PM
P
Pa Gherkin Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
P
Has anyone heard how it sounds in mono? Being a proponent of playing in mono live this is important to me. I'm leery because I had a Yamaha dp that was quite nice in stereo but truly awful in mono. I tried every possible mono configuration and it still stunk. However,I've got high hopes for the CP73.

Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner