Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2974876 - 02/09/19 10:36 PM Re: I pulled the trigger... [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
On GS, people often say they hate Strats because they're the one guitar that doesn't have sustain. But that's why even though it's the player not the instrument...

I'll say. Any player with any decent Strat with a comprehensive set-up that complains that their guitar doesn't have sufficient sustain, is a poor workman to blame their tools.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

GP Island
#2975009 - 02/10/19 07:37 PM Re: I pulled the trigger... [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Actually my Strat lacks sustain but that's b/c I have a deliberately soft set-up (light strings & low action).

While those gtrs lack the inherent sustain of more trad constructions we live in a world where that's so easy to overcome via the wonders of modern tech-know-logicality.

The reality is that, despite even later wonderful designs, the Strat remains the best designed electric gtr.

#2975932 - 02/15/19 11:05 AM Re: I pulled the trigger... [Re: d]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Originally Posted By: d

The reality is that, despite even later wonderful designs, the Strat remains the best designed electric gtr.

I don't know, I have never understood Leo's choice to go with two tone controls, and one of them hooked up to the middle pickup, when the bridge p/up really needs one.

#2975951 - 02/15/19 12:13 PM Re: I pulled the trigger... [Re: picker]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: picker
Originally Posted By: d

I don't know, I have never understood Leo's choice to go with two tone controls, and one of them hooked up to the middle pickup, when the bridge p/up really needs one.

I think that at the time, they were putting relatively heavy strings on them, and possibly even flat-wounds, at that? They- Leo and the players he worked closely with- wanted to be able to hit that switch and get a tone with a lot of presence that would project and cut through the band-mix and all noise in crowded clubs and bars, where the guitarist had only his amp, and no PA or monitors...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2975958 - 02/15/19 12:35 PM Re: I pulled the trigger... [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

there's a video clip link I used to keep handy, of Buddy Guy onstage with a Strat and not a super high gain sound hitting a note and making it sustain for 2 minutes with finger vibrato and sheer Buddy Guy-ness... whenever someone said "Fenders don't sustain" I'd just post that... and some would claim he had a sustainiac or something "he doesn't)...

Now, "sustain" is an overrated quality in electric guitars, anyway. You can't hear it in a band setting unless it's a solo that's boosted which would artificially enhance it. I love my set neck, Gibson-scale guitars... and I'm finding they aren't necessarily a match for most of the gigs I do, that call more for single coil pickups and the extra punch that bolt on neck guitars have...

#2976102 - 02/16/19 01:17 PM Re: I pulled the trigger... [Re: p90jr]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Originally Posted By: p90jr
...sheer Buddy Guy-ness...

freak grin rawk

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose