Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

Don't you just want to walk out there, walk up the little hill, and hang out near the waterfall? I love this place. Thanks!

Ken, the triangular hills to the left of the falls look like they were terraced to control erosion. Or maybe to provide ledges for wildflowers. Do you know if this is true?

Definitely a beautiful spot!

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, but given its location and the homes below, this would not surprise me in the slightest.

4330kenlee_2016-07-19_0247_joshuatree_pioneertown_night-photo_30sf8iso1000_gap_filling-29mintotal-1000px.jpg

Star Trails at the OK Corral (4330)

Cowboy up! Pioneertown, California began as a Wild West motion picture set in the 1940s, with Roy Rogers, Gene Autry and others among the original developers and investors. The set was designed for the actors to live while using their homes in the movie. The Cisco Kid and many other Westerns were filmed here. Saloons, jails, banks, all the good stuff you need for a Western town. I illuminated the scene while the camera shutter was open with a hand-held Protomachines LED2 flashlight. The circular star trails were created by the very long total exposure, created by the rotation of the earth.

The two butterfly bushes in our rebuilt front garden have finally attracted some customers.

Here's a black swallowtail in the white bush:

28800560461_1a6473a388_c.jpg

Black and white by Bill Wilcox, on Flickr

And an Eastern swallowtail in the purple bush:

28302290914_547dc4d1db_c.jpg

Eastern swallowtail butterfly by Bill Wilcox, on Flickr

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

The two butterfly bushes in our rebuilt front garden have finally attracted some customers.

Suh-weeeet photos.

Well said.

Even in person, this really did look like it might be manmade. But no. It's nature throwing us a curve ball. Again.

2016-06-18_0042_kenlee_iceland_djupavik_bay_28mmpcshift_westfjords_242sf8iso100-fjord-sunset-longexposure-1000px.jpg

Mirror, Mirror (2016-06-18 00:42)

The fjord in Djupavik, Iceland. We hung out, photographing the beautiful sunset across the fjord, during one of Iceland's gorgeous, hours-long sunset. One of the photographers, Suzanne, noted that the colors were finally started to fade. However, just ten minutes later, to our surprise, the colors began growing more intense again, and we quickly realized that we were now watching a very slow sunrise.

Here's a black swallowtail in the white bush:

28800560461_1a6473a388_c.jpg

Black and white by Bill Wilcox, on Flickr

And an Eastern swallowtail in the purple bush:

28302290914_547dc4d1db_c.jpg

Eastern swallowtail butterfly by Bill Wilcox, on Flickr

Beautiful Bill! And shooting butterflies is SO hard - they are such fickle, uncooperative little things!

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

It was this beautiful, startling revelation. We had never experienced anything like that before.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

It's a bit of a shame many digital pictures end up with a very reduced pixel count, such as some of the examples lately in this thread. I should surely be accused even, of using example images that have limited high frequency spatial components, because otherwise the average intensity of the light in moderately detailed areas easily suffers.

It's like I was interested in High Definition digital video back in university, in the early 90s, when that was new and very "shiny" and nowadays with our major internet connections we still get stuck with resolutions I could project on a computer digital projector (called beamer in dutch) already back in that time..

T.

Hopefully the photos are big enough and glorious enough that you can get some enjoyment from them all the same. I don't want to put any more pixels than I already do because people begin swiping them and even printing them in books. Ask me how I know....grrrrrrr.....

I am wondering if you need to start water marking your photos closer to the middle? I have a friend who does her water mark diagonal through the center for ones that are posted anywhere on the internet.

Beautiful bus and phantom driver by the way!

:thu::)

I don't like watermarks. I don't like the way they look. I try really hard to be low-key about them. If I ever feel like I am forced to put them in the middle, I guess I'll only make slide shows.

Beautiful Bill! And shooting butterflies is SO hard - they are such fickle, uncooperative little things!

They can be, indeed. They're not as hyper on an overcast day and if I spray the plant with water they stay longer.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Yeah Ken, I recall some story about copyright infringement you shared. It's a shame some people cross the lines of fair use and minimum proper quality required. For this thread a thousand pixels is fine, but some scenes simply do not map to such moderate resolution very well. Phones already supercede 1080HD with their screens an I must say with the added bonus of Led displays it is a joy to look a full responsibility pictures. Probably I prefer more color bits, too, I don't know if the phone display drivers can have more than 8 bits per color!

T.