Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quick microphone update

skipclone 1

Hey all

Last saturday I had a second tryout with the Heil PR-20. The short version is, I traveled about seven hours by bus to a city called Nagoya, to perform at a pre-Halloween party. It was an all night affair, the live performances started at about 1:30 a.m. :)

Well we were limited to one song each but, great crowd, great space and the owner was a gem. Lots of free drinks after the performance and he even helped pay for my transportation.

Oh yeah, the mic-well I started my song and was listening behind the mains. Finally found the right mic angle and distance, and boom. Now that`s what I`m talking about. Definitely liking this mic, I`ll be using it again on the 24th.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott, that is SO true.

In this performance environment, most people are not producing live sound so the idea of monitors would get lot of blank looks.

A friend of mine who has his own band has recommended the Line 6 L2t-a totally self-contained system. No more volume issues, everything is under your control. He just got one after one too many sound issues.

...great crowd, great space and the owner was a gem. Lots of free drinks after the performance and he even helped pay for my transportation.

Finally found the right mic angle and distance, and boom. Now that`s what I`m talking about. Definitely liking this mic, I`ll be using it again on the 24th.

Glad to read that! :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Awww.....

Does this mean we won't be reading any more about your feening about microphone issues? ;):D

Seriously, glad it all worked out for ya. But, I'm still wondering about the venue. Sounds as if someone rented a hall and decided to throw a party. But you made referrence to the owner.

I've been in places( a buddy was a bouncer, or bartender, or his wife/girlfriend(or both) was a barmaid) where they only featured solo artists performing. Or duos. Now, bars that provide "live" entertainment usually have a kind of stage at one end with enough power provided for amps and such. And ALL the sound issues are the band's problem.

However, the places I first brought up at the beginning of the previous paragraph had their OWN sound/PA system, including mics.

Your situation kinda sounded like a comedy club having "open mic" night, but you gotta bring your own mic.

But anyay, it's good to have a mic you're happy with that can be used in other situations.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Okay everybody, we can all go home. Our issues don`t count... :D

No, I didn`t have to bring my own mic. Any venue with that requirement would spend a lot of time looking for performers. This mic is a big help for the way I`m singing cover songs these days, which tend toward a high register. It`s harder to do that and belt out notes-this mic picks up more of what I`m doing than the average house mic.

On another side note-no, this is not a rental space. It`s quite large at least by Japan standards but, it`s a full-time club. The event I ws part of happens on the second saturday every month.

:o

You mean, the Japanese have a "pre Halloween" party on the second Saturday of EVERY month? :crazy:

And, pardon my ignorance in this matter, but as I'm familiar with not ALL Halloween parties taking place ON Halloween, and maybe a few days to upwards of a WEEK before, and that in spite of THAT, I've never heard of them referred to as "pre" Halloween parties. :cool:

Just wonderin'.....

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

The `pre-Halloween` theme is only this month for that club. Other times it`s just a big dance party.

I don`t know to what extent it`s a Japan thing, but a number of venues are having pre-Halloween events. I`ve been invited to play one at my usual live venue on Thursday the 29th, haven`t made up my mind yet. FWIW Japan does something like that for Octoberfest-here they start in May, and it travels to various locations through the summer until the last one in Yokohama, which is actually in October.

Archived