Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why no Controller KB's w/Sequencer?

J. Dan

Generally, a Keboard version of a workstation has a sequencer, the rack module version does not. I challenge you to give any examples of modules with sequencers.

So why wouldn't they make a MIDI controller keyboard with onboard sequencer. Many of them have transport controls, which is fine if you're running it into a computer or another keyboard with a sequencer. But if you wanted a rack full of modules and a controller keyboard, and needed a sequencer, there really aren't any options. Even the few stand alone hardware sequencers are table-top, not rackmount.

My wish:

76-key controller, semi-weighted, 16 fully assignable sliders & buttons (i.e. Peavey PC-1600), alpha-numerical keypad for patch/bank entry, integral 480ppq sequencer with 128 song memory and preferably 32 tracks, that could each be assigned to one of 4 MIDI outs. Oh, and a cue list to build your setlist for the night including sequences and "scenes".

I'll give $1200 to the first manufacturer that comes up with a good implementation of this (in exchange for one, also known as a purchase).

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The PC3 series make a great controller with sequencer. You don't have to use the onboard sounds, or you can treat the onboard sound generator just like another module.

True, but that would make a pretty pricey MIDI controller. Plus all the extra menus, etc if you weren't going to use the internal sounds. Out of curiosity, how does the PC3 handle song storage and how many will it hold? Does it have any kind of playlist/cue list feature?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

how does the PC3 handle song storage and how many will it hold? Does it have any kind of playlist/cue list feature?

I haven't played with the sequencer much since I use a computer, but I don't think it has a play list function. It's pretty easy to select another song, though. Just type in it's number. It can hold thousands of songs, limited mostly by memory.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

I totally agree with you. The industry is at the point where I think it should go to a sort of computer production type of model. As an example you start with an empty frame and there would be several to choose from based on the number of keys to start with. Also flat frames canted frames and such so that if you just needed a bottom board with nothing but keys and may be a couple of wheels or joystick and ribbon so you could sit another on top. You could have bays in them to add the modules you wanted. Sound, knobs, sliders, touch screen. Plug in host. You could pick a type of keyboard as well.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Archived