Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stop me before I NGD again...

p90jr

So far I haven't even changed the strings but I love the guitar. I took it to a practice with an Americana songwriter and they couldn't believe how much it can sound like a Tele with the bridge P90 tapped/split/whatever it is they installed...

I'll report in the future on the mods.

I really look forward to that! And I'm glad you're diggin' that axe so.

When I had my beloved and dearly missed P-90 soapbar equipped Les Paul "Ruby", I really, REALLY enjoyed simply rolling back the volume-controls and adjusting my "touch" to engage what I referred to as "shootin' sparks Tele" tones, particularly on the bridge-pickup; miles of attitude, snarl and bite. That was without any kind of coil tapping or splitting, too. 'Middle-position' sounded great that way, too, just beautiful. Roll 'em back up and i8t was fat Les Paul City, with a rounder attack.

• Like 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• 4 months later...

On 10/17/2021 at 7:43 PM, p90jr said:

So far I haven't even changed the strings but I love the guitar. I took it to a practice with an Americana songwriter and they couldn't believe how much it can sound like a Tele with the bridge P90 tapped/split/whatever it is they installed...

I'll report in the future on the mods.

Aaahh, somehow I never saw your last post there...

When I had that lamentedly lost and dearly missed Les Paul Ruby, I really enjoyed just how well I could cop a shootin[' sparks Tele kinda sound with it by rolling back the volume-knob just a smidge and adjusting my picking-hand attitude. I chalked that up to the P-90 and the Nashville bridge (I see your 'Bird has one, as well), which has a little more mass than the vintage-style Tune-o-Matic.

Ja1ozAC.jpg

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

There was a Sapphire model (blue) of the Gem series in the window of a music store here where my stepdad worked for years... they had it marked up way too high from the start for some reason... I always meant to see if my stepdad could get an employee deal on it after it had sat for a while but forgot about it. I'll have to see if it's still there (if the entire store is still there, really... it's way on the other side of town and my parents moved back over to this side of town over a decade ago) sometime...

but yeah, I know a guy here with a '53 Les Paul Goldtop, I think... stop tailpiece and P90s, and it REALLY sounds like a Tele when he wants it to...

• Like 2
  • Love 1