Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tony Banks fans�

⦠will find this interview with Alan R. Pearlman"s (ARP founder) daughter quite interesting I think.

I loved the bit where he said that one of the great things about the 2600 was that you could make a great sound and then not be able to make it again. ð Like all of us, TB is getting older. The long interview might have been taxing. I am so glad he did it.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like all of us, TB is getting older. The long interview might have been taxing. I am so glad he did it.

They're touring again, so he must have that much left in him.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'll wait for the DVD. I paid a mere $15 to see them perform The Lamb, which is major music-lesson money well spent. They've often presented amazing video behind them as they played, not so far from Pink Floyd's. I think it might be a bit of the art school thing, but also the British nature of making the very most of everything that's at hand. Many early British films were low-budget, but they were usually polished to a high sheen. Picture seeing Peter sing "The Lamia" from inside a slowly spinning, silk-screened cloth tube OF Lamia, highlighted with UV spotlights. It dropped down and then rose at song's end. That's smart stage craft.

I enjoyed hearing Tony speak of the Pro Soloist, in particular. For someone who professes NOT to be a gear wonk like most of Us On Here, he sure knows how to wax fondly like an uncle holding forth about a beloved old car. :puff: One of many reasons I've remained a fan is his bravery in touring with Mellotrons. Thank God for Markus Resch and M-Tron now.

Tony may be doing the tour to fund more of this, as well.

[video:youtube]

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

The Tony Banks interview is fun. Thanks for sharing. He is blunt. Tony bought the Pro-Soloist for all the correct reasons. Being able to push a button and get a sound must have been an epiphany. The Pro-Soloist gave Tony (and us) those early sounds that are such an integral part of the Genesis catalog. I was hoping he would have elaborated on the early Genesis albums and his synthesizer usage on each album. As a huge Tony Banks fan, his keyboard rig from 1970s through the early 80s albums was one of my major preoccupations.

Interesting to hear about his collaboration with Michael Rutherford - their odd time signatures resulted in great rhythm for synth solos. The ARP Quadra was a major fixture for Genesis during the late 1970s and early 80s timeframe. Then Tony's blunt remark about ARP not selling many Quadras (during ARP's dark days).

I smiled when Tony said he like the Sex Pistols song, Pretty Vacant (because it's also one of my favorites).

Steve Coscia