Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iPad audio transfer from Spotify to AudioStretch?

I'm hoping some of you will have suggestions for my situation. On my iPad, I would like to have the following process:

1) Find a song I want to learn on the iPad Spotify app (I have a paid account)

2) "Export" audio for that song to a wave file on the iPad.

3) Use AudioStretch on the iPad to learn the song (tool for looping, slowing down audio, etc.)

The problem is step 2). I realize Spotify doesn't allow export of wave files for obvious reasons. But does anyone know of an app that can intercept the audio being played by Spotify (or presumably any app) and capture it in a wave file?

I know I can do this through various clunky methods like streaming the audio out to another device for recording and transferring back to iPad...but I'm looking for something where I wouldn't have to use another device at all.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't own an app for iPad for this (in fact i no longer have an iPad since it was company owned and I had to return it when I lost my job) but maybe instead of audio capture, look at apps that do screen capture with audio to a video, then an app to strip the audio. I used to use Snagit Pro on my PC laptop to create videos of my doing things on my desktop, namely for training videos or to send a video to a customer explaining how to do something with our software. I believe right from snagit you could export various formats, possibly audio only. Maybe there's something similar for iPad.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I don't own an app for iPad for this (in fact i no longer have an iPad since it was company owned and I had to return it when I lost my job) but maybe instead of audio capture, look at apps that do screen capture with audio to a video, then an app to strip the audio. I used to use Snagit Pro on my PC laptop to create videos of my doing things on my desktop, namely for training videos or to send a video to a customer explaining how to do something with our software. I believe right from snagit you could export various formats, possibly audio only. Maybe there's something similar for iPad.

good idea...i'll poke around. thanks!

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

Spotify is your problem in this scenario, transcription software like Transcribe by Seventh String software or AnyTune will do what you want, but they need a non DRM protected file to work with. I believe AnyTune will work with iTunes.

If you are using a PC, you can route your audio to your DAW of choice by using a "virtual jack" (essentially, a little program that will capture the audio data and send it wherever you want. I imagine there are similar options for Macs.

I've done this quite a bit using VB Audio's "virtual jack", specifically, their "VB-CABLE Virtual Audio Device". Your DAW will just treat the data like any other incoming audio source. Once captured, you can save as WAVE, MP3, etc. Personally, I use Reaper (have been since like 2007), but I'm sure other DAWs should work as well.

https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

You have to do some fooling around with patching through their program, then patching back out if you want to hear on speakers, but it will definitely give you a completely clear capture of the audio data.

I imagine this type of option may not exist for iOS because in its early days, Steve Jobs was trying to convince the big media companies that his iPad/iPhone was not going to be another avenue for pirating their IP. Part of the reason iOS is still so locked down, comparatively.

Sam, I don't know if this will work, however the iOS has the ability to capture the screen (and audio) to a video file:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207935

Theoretically, you could enable this function, start recording the screen, switch to Spotify, play the track, then when it's finished, stop recording, then import the MP4 video into AudioStretch.

I expect it may be blocked in certain apps such as Spotify, but give it a try anyway.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Sam, I don't know if this will work, however the iOS has the ability to capture the screen (and audio) to a video file:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207935

Theoretically, you could enable this function, start recording the screen, switch to Spotify, play the track, then when it's finished, stop recording, then import the MP4 video into AudioStretch.

I expect it may be blocked in certain apps such as Spotify, but give it a try anyway.

Cheers,

James

x

Yesterday, based on Dan"s suggestion I stumbled onto exactly what you suggest above. Unfortunately, as you suspected it recorded the video but no audio from Spotify, It appears this may be undoable. Oh well, I"ll go back to doing it on the PC and transferring the files. Not a big deal for cover songs on my pop duo...was just looking for a more spontaneous way of learning jazz tunes on my 'couch rig' (Casio CT-S300 with iPad Mini velcro"d on top :) )

www.stickmanor.com

AmazingSlowDowner for iOS supports Spotify. I throw the track into a playlist in Spotify to make it easier to find from ASD. No need to rip anything.

Perfect! I had been using AudioStretch but the convenience of directly accessing Spotify makes it a no-brainer to spend the $15.

Thanks so much! Love this place.

www.stickmanor.com

• 4 weeks later...
To exxport audios from Spotify, you could try this way. By using the best Spotify MP3 Converter, then you can easily get music from Spotify and use them on any other devices without any limitation. Just try and see if it can work.

Thanks for the suggestion.

www.stickmanor.com