Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender G-dec

Dr. Ellwood

My oldest son called me last night and said he picked up one of these G-dec little amps. He says it's very cool for practice and has bass and drum tracks built into it with amp modeling. He's going to bring it over tonight so I can try it out...I'm going to record it and put on a sound file so ya all can hear it. Anybody else have one of these yet?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/ellwood1/gdec.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jerry's a very good player and he says it's a fun little amp, we WILL see!! :D Jerry is gonna be 25 pretty soon. He JUST got back from China, been there this time for 3 weeks working on an engineering project. He was afraid he would get messed up and not be home for xmas, but he got back on Sunday!

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by ellwood:

Jerry is gonna be 25 pretty soon.

How many kids d'you have? Last time you spoke of your son, he sounded pretty young. Is there more than one, or does time really fly on this forum? :);)
Have two sons, Jerry and John. John is just 11 months younger than Jerry :thu: and they are both mehanical engineers, we all went to the same high school and same college and are in the same profession! Jerry is a guitar player and John is a sax player and drummer. Yep am VERY proud of those guys (don't get me started!!) or I won't stop braggin about them!! thanks for asking Vince.

Ellwood, glad your son made it home (a) safe and (b) in time for Christmas! I can't comprehend being on a jet for what, 20 hours or something? I just flew out to Portland Oregon for turkey day and just 4.5 hours made me nuts. A trip to China...I'd need an IV drip with tequila. But I digress....again....I dropped the G-Dec hint myself as everybody who tries one seems to end up loving it. I've heard from some "real" musicians who claim it's a great practice device, so a hobbyist like myself would no doubt benefit from such a device. Merry Christmas everybody!

L.B.

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Originally posted by LeftyBlues:

Ellwood, glad your son made it home (a) safe and (b) in time for Christmas! I can't comprehend being on a jet for what, 20 hours or something? I just flew out to Portland Oregon for turkey day and just 4.5 hours made me nuts. A trip to China...I'd need an IV drip with tequila. But I digress....again....I dropped the G-Dec hint myself as everybody who tries one seems to end up loving it. I've heard from some "real" musicians who claim it's a great practice device, so a hobbyist like myself would no doubt benefit from such a device. Merry Christmas everybody!

L.B.

Hay Lefty ya you are SO right on the long flights, I have done the China trip a few times for Jeep over there and the NZ and Austrailian trip too and man oh man it's really bad! On the G-Dec, ya my son said he thought I would like the TWEED setting (we will see tonight) he said the it seems to be MAC friendly as far as midi goes? I'm wondering about how it interfaces with Windows? I haven't really read anyting about it yet, I'm going to read the ops manuall this evening. I like the idea of the Drum and bass built in on board capabilities.

Lee,

I'm glad your son made it home from China in time for Christmas. I know how that trip is...I was in China for a couple of years....great place, but it's great to get home, too...plus it's a GRUELING flight...especially if you have to change planes at Narita :eek: .

It does me good to hear that your sons both have done well with their lives. Enjoy your time with them at Christmas, and make sure they know how proud of them you are (I'm sure you will :) ). You have apparently done a good job of bringing them up...you are entitled to a LARGE helping of pride in that fact....it's a tough job well done.

I would give just about anything to be able to spend that sort of time with my son and know that he is making something of his life. Unfortunately, (as I mentioned in a previous thread) he is addicted to Methamphetamine and living on the streets and I have no idea where he is at this point. I guess I'm really just waiting for the phone call now.

You have every reason to be proud and every right to brag...never apologize for that....just keep right on braggin' and bein' proud! ;)

Have fun jamming with Jerry and playing with the G-dec....make the most of every moment. Merry Christmas.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Sasq! oh man I'm so sorry to hear that about your boy! I hope maybe someting will work out ok for him. Sometimes we get lucky and good things happen even when they are out of our control!

Lee,

It's OK, man. It's a fact of life I'm coming to grips with...I wasn't trying to make this thread about me and my son...it's about you and your sons (and G-dec amplifiers :P ) and the fact that you have done an outstanding job with them. I really shouldn't have even mentioned that. I was just trying to emphasize that you have many reasons to be proud of your sons.

At any rate, have a Merry Christmas!

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Darklava:

I tried one at GC and I love it,and I'm gettin one. :love:

Ok NOW you got me revved up to try it out... hay what about the midi thing??? do you know anythng about the Mac/Windows interface thing????
I don't but was hoping I would be able to put

some new licks for you guys with it. :cool:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

I've seen a couple of personal demos and though the beats and everything are really nice I found the tone/sound to be a bit on the whimpy side. The other thing that would be nice would be if you could change the beat/loop in the middle of the song. They have a great idea going here, but I'd like to see them ramp it up so me. (my son was going to buy one)
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by caprae:

I found the tone/sound to be a bit on the whimpy side. The other thing that would be nice would be if you could change the beat/loop in the middle of the song.

THat's sort of what GP said when they reviewed it. They added though, that for the price it was a really good deal and that it IS meant to be a handy gadget for practising (not a full on studio product) and that it's aimed at beginners.

Sasquatch: That's really sad. And here I was dreading the idea of having the yearly Christmas fight with my old man.

I mean, I'll still have the fight and all, but I'll think about how lucky we are to be in a position to yell at each other in the same room, across the same table.

I hope it all works out for you all.

My girlfriend bought me a G-DEC for Christmas... (Bought her a new Acoustic, Should say they were pre-christmas presents) I am exactly the type player (beginner) that its targeted to. I really love it. I can put it in Blue House mode and and it makes me sound like I know what I'm doing... Well, almost!

I also have a Fender Champion 300 that is just over a year old. (my first amp). My nephew plugged his toy guitar into it. And it went crasy, sort of an extremly loud noise alternating noise... and then nothing... just a humming. I tried a local Fender authorized repair store? They said it wasn't on their list of repairables and that I would have to send it back to Fender myself. Oh well...

Is it worth it? Cost me about $250.00 new.

Any opinions? Some where else I heard that "since its all transistor its toast"...

Hay Roman glad you like the demo.. you will be able to play very well ..just practice allot and it will happen! I'm sorry you had that problem but maybe it did not cook anything critical, maybe there is a protection circut just behind the input that trys to minimize that kind of event. I think they offer allot of capability for a practice amp, when my son brings it back over I'm going to explore it more! have a great holiday hay and tell the girlfriend to practice allot too and enjoy the new acoustic!

• 3 weeks later...

I got a G-DEC. This is a cool piece of equipment! Haven't cranked up the volume past 3, but I read through the manual waiting for my wife to pick me up at an appointment, and it has some really good features! I don't expect ultra-true recreations of tube sounds, but it does get you in the ball park of where you want to be, enough for a practice or smiles during a little jam session.

I think Fender limited the amount of stuff it can do for the sake of making it user-friendly, but still very useful.

I'm also pleased that it has a phrase sampler loop thing that can slow a solo down to half speed! I was considering buying sucha unit anyway!

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Archived