Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So why can't I get rid of my fret buzz

Bbach1

Normally, when I get some fret buzz on one of my guitars it signals a need for truss rod adjustment. However, I cannot get rid of the buzz on my G&L, mostly the 5th and 6th strings. I have adjusted the rod, changed strings, nothing works. What could be up with this? My Carvin has no problems.

??

Any ideas?

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This time of year, when the furnaces go on, and the humidity gets sucked out of the air, frets pop up on dry fretboards. I hope this isn't your problem, but it is possible.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Try raising the bridge slightly. We had to do that to get the buzz out of my son's guitar. Give it half a turn and try it, etc until the buzz is gone.

If it is what Ellwood said, and he has a LOT more experience than I, then you might need to get the frets leveled.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by caprae:

Try raising the bridge slightly. We had to do that to get the buzz out of my son's guitar. Give it half a turn and try it, etc until the buzz is gone.

If it is what Ellwood said, and he has a LOT more experience than I, then you might need to get the frets leveled.

WEll MAYBE! look close it the side binding and see if those look different and if there is too much open space between the fret wire and the bottom of the fret groove. If there is very carefully take a soft piece of wood about 1/2 by 1/2 inch square and tap with a very light hammer on the offending fret wire towards the edge ..it MIGHT go back down..if it is high I WOULD NOT dress it.... when the humidity changes you will not have fret wire at the correct height.

Yeah...I had two guitars on Sunday that had some new buzz.

First I took the easy way out, and tried to raise the strings a tad...but that just wasn't working (and the strings were getting too high).

So...I did the right thing...and did about 1/4-1/3 turn to loosen the rod on each guitar...and that did the trick real nice.

The neck bowed a bit more as it should...and the srings were "freed" from the frets!

There were a few cold/dry days last week...and that really did a job on my guitars.

I was running the humidifier all weekend to get the humidity back up to 50%...and that helped settle 'em down.

I don't want to get it too high...'cuz with winter approching...things will get much drier anyway...so I may have to let the guitars settle in...and then just go ahead and re-adjust all of them for the duration of the cold/dry season...though I will try and keep the humidity at least in the 40% range.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Now, where exactly is it buzzing? Open 5th and 6th strings? Just fretted notes within a given range of frets? Or all of the above?

You didn't change gauges of strings, did you?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Did you "Crack" the neck after the truss rod adjustment? Sometimes the rod gets stuck because of friction and it needs to be "Cracked".

It takes nerves of steel, but you lay the guitar down across your lap, and push down quickly on the neck like you are doing a chiropractic, spinal adjustment.

It will make a crack sound as the rod slips free of the wood and the neck adjusts.

Thank you all for your responses. If this were a cheaper guitar I'd keep messing with it, but I think I'm going to take it in where I bought it and have it looked at before I end up breaking the truss rod or neck or something serious like that.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Archived