Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The best guitar players? A rant and query

Flower of evil

While I am pissing everybody off, I might as well give you all the correct perfect list of guitar players. No, you may not debate this, it is the true, ultimate list.

1. Arlo Guthrie. (How many people do you know who can play the same guitar lick 75 times in a row without the audience leaving or trying to set him/her on fire?)

2. Ringo Starr. You will have to think deep Zen here.

3. Frank Zappa's guitar efforts after he got the Bosendorfer. (A combination of Zen and transcendentalism)

Everyone else can get in line behind them. I really don't care where.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Coming from someone who grew up playing rock/blues, took lessons for a couple of months, then went to school for jazz. It's a whole different ballgame. I'd have to agree with Flagshipmile. It's much more demanding in terms of harmony and technique, and as much as people like to think you can wing it, you can't.

Flower of evil, Welcome to the Forum! Looks like you are jumping in with both feet and that's a good thing! We hope to see many many outstanding threads started by you in the future. I just read your initial post and found it interesting and thought provoking in a way, although it might have been more directed at a reading audience that was not as familiar/sophisticated as this Forum. Most people here are or have been professional musicians either full time or part time and it is very difficult to offer new or innovative subjects for discussion threads here. Sometimes it is a good idea to open a thread or question even if you personally know the answer, because these subjects have a way of expanding into new and fertile ground! I and I know we all look forward to hearing from you often, again welcome to the brotherhood/sisterhood (PC) :D ..Lee in Detroit Mi.

This thread was started Nov 19. and he han't been really present since, but he must be a treasure trove of knowledge and experiences. I hope to see him here again. He came out of the chute a bit aggressively, and was dinged for it, but he seems to have a lot under his belt, and hopefully we haven't run him off.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Naaa, he's been around the block a few times like we all have, thick head,stong sholders and loves to talk to guys that know and love the business like he does ...he will return with tubes ah FIRE no doubt! :D:thu:

OH an by the way... wish me luck in the next few mins.. I have the old Fender Pro Amp on it's back.. and I'm going to attempt to retension that one tube socket!!! HUMMM how long did Caevan say those caps hold power???? :eek: if you dont hear from me again...it's been real guys :rolleyes:

That Epiphone Galaxie 10 I bought off of ebay needed to have the tubes reseated. You're fine as long as you don't touch any contacts but the ground. I stay away from the business end of tubes. Gotta' drain those caps if you have to get your mits or any tools in there.

I'm pretty impressed with the sound of this Galaxie 10. It has a Celestion Tube 10 speaker. It's not very loud on clean, but when you turn up the gain it will get pretty loud. The tone gets nice and crunchy, too. The EQ controls don't seem to make a big difference. Probably not much more than 2 or 3 db. I like having the standby switch. It doesn't hum like the Valve Junior, either.

Born on the Bayou

In my opinion the best for me are: Vitto Bratta, Edy Van Halen, Steve Vai,Paco de Lucia, Jimy Hendrix, Jimy Page, Ynwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Randy Rhoads and Toño Ruiz.

BUT; I separate in a diferent levels of great guitar players:

1) Genius and prodygius (Robert Jhonson, Jimy Hendrix, Paco de Lucia, Ynwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai).

2) Excelent (Steve Howe, Jimy Page, Vito Bratta, Paul Gilbert, Van Halen, Albert Lee, Reb Beach, Randy Rhoads, Jhon Petrucci, Allan Holdsworth,

Mark Knopfler, George Benson, Frank Gambale).

3) Very Good (Ritchie Blackmore, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Vivian Campbel, Steve Lukater, Neal Schown, George Linch, Steve Ray Vaughan, Steve Morse, Gary More, Jef Beck, obben Ford, David Gilmour, Tony Macalpine, Toño Ruiz, Julio Revueltas, Wilder Medrano, Chuck Berry).

4) Good (Dwzil Zappa, Blue Sarraseno, Gary Hoey, Adrian Vandemberg, Carlos Santana, Marty Friedman, Zakk Wylde, jason becker, Chris Impelleretti, Vinie More, Alvin Lee).

5) Regular (Slash, a many guitar players in bars, restaurants, cofees, partys, and so on).

6) Bad (Benny Ibarra, guitar in garages and a few fanatics and guitar colectors).

Thanks and Warm Regards

Archived