Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Quit Smoking Club.

A String

Originally posted by A String:

Time to check in guys. How is everyone making out?

I'm ok as long as I don't hang out with smokers. I don't know if my wife is still smoking at work, but at least she's not bringing any home.

Unfortunately I have to see my father tonight and HE's a smoker so it'll be hard to refrain from asking him for a ciggie.

Let's see how it goes.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hello, hope you don't mind me joining in this thread, i stopped smoking today feeling quite optimistic also noticed the colour in my cheeks returning, but I am dreading the weekend, did a google search and read this thread so thought I'd contribute, my stop smoking book says to not refer to it as "quitting" because this implys what you are doing is negative... PS onto music can anyone recommend a good blues harmonica site with some music sheets? (chrismas present)

Hi, jenjen.

I don't know about sites. I learned from this book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B43KXY/qid=1136994583/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/104-1872512-0476761?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

which you can still find sometimes. It was a pretty cool read and went into harps quite deeply. It was in a very "hey man, funky" sort of writing style too, which made it kind of fun at the time.

Thanks Kramer, but I can't find it on co.uk site, found a few there though but the reviews don't look too promising one made me laugh - "The biggest problem with the book is the lack of recognisable tunes to play whilst learning. If you are familiar with such tunes as Polly Wolly Dolly, Tenting Tonight or Drink to me with Thine Eyes" anyways must crack on get some work done then go home will post progress tomorrow, thought - I drove to work more safely this morning because I didn't have a fag in my hand!

Hello All,

I want to say that I think that this is a great thread. I know the struggle of quitting smoking and wanted to offer some things that helped me.

Congratulations to everyone who is trying and to those that have been successful for far!!

This is a very hard thing to do, but it IS doable.

Here are some suggestions that worked for me.

First of all, there is no easy way (as far as I know). I found that the mental addiction was much stronger and harder to deal with then the physical.

Why are you quitting? That is a very important reason because if you really don't want to quit, you likely won't. Are you bein pressured to quit by someone? Is it a health concern? Financial concern? Are you sick of being addicted and tired of being controled by your cravings? (that was my main reason)

My suggestion would be to try to quit half way through the pack. I found that if I got the the end of a pack, I'd have to go out and get another pack immediately. Part way through the pack worked for me because I knew that I had smokes if I really needed one.

I'd also suggest weening yourself down to 2 or 3 smokes/day as it was easier for me to stop when I wasn't smoking half a pack a day. I kept the half pack of smokes in my freezer until about 6 months after I had quit for a 'just in case' emergency smoke.

Changing your daily routine and doing something different then what you usually do when smoking also helped me.

My best advice is "Hold On". Wait out the craving. I found that if I was able to wait 10-15 minutes, the craving would pass and I was ok until the next craving. I found after doing this a few times, I felt much better about waiting out the craving then giving in and having a smoke. it also reassured me that I have control over what I do, not the smokes.

I also haven't had a smoke in 5 years, not a drag, not bummed one, nothing. If I had a drag or bummed a smoke, I'd end up getting a pack then I'd be back to smoking full time again.

It took me about 8 or 9 times of trying to quit before it finally stuck and I've been smoke free for 5 years now.

Take it day by day and you will succeed. If I can do it, I'm sure that you can.

Great! The thread is growing, gathering more members, more support. :thu: The more the merrier! The more success stories to be shared, the more inspiration to be drawn from! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing10.gif

Let's never lose the momentum! IT'S GONNA WORK! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing22.gif

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Hello Geezer,

well done! I quit for ten months last year and slowly started up again (gradual one every now and then turned into 15 a day again!)it's difficult because my partner smokes so I probably never stopped at all through passive smoking (luckily he's giving it a go as well this time), whats strange is this time it seems harder than last time(excuse the excuses, I'm only on day two so I'll be prone to them!)I read that Haga's had a bad time at work and couldn't stop at that time, I know about that one, I was meant to stop on new years day but my uncle died in the morning (55, heart attack, smoker) you'd think I'd have enough motivation. But as strange as it may seem, these are arn't motivators for me to stop, if anything they make me feel more stressed and pressured to stop (or at least give me an excuse not to) and believe me the excuses as to why I should start smoking are mounting in my head as the day goes by!! NARRGGHHH! (anyone else have the little voices? or am I going mad!)

Yeah you do tend to go back to them with your eyes closed your mind tends to tell you what you want to hear, it's sneaky and gets you like that, even after 10 months of quitting I'd go days without getting a craving then one would hit me from knowwhere, I eventually forgot why I'd stopped in the first place (or conveniently forgot!)

question - contraversial on a guitar site I know! but is it really nessessary to own 7 guitars??!! 3 electric, 1 acoustic/electric, 3 acoustics!!! I'm trying to persuade my partner to down size but I'm afraid it might break his dear heart!

Well, jenjen, I own 20, and there's more out there that I lust after. Do I need 'em? Nope, but most have become very sentimental, and the amount of money they would bring if I sold them wouldn't make up for their loss. The money you'll save on smokes will far exceed what most guitars cost. :thu:

Ahh but it's a question of space in our new home! we managed to scare the neighbours when they came round though, as we sat them next to a 4ft Marshall amp (oh he's got three of those as well!!) reassured them it was for gigs though! Yes your right they are good investments, he's owned alot of guitars then kicked himself for selling them when a few years later there worth a couple of grand more! no smokes so far today hurrah! (I've saved £6 already)

Ahh but it's a question of space in our new home! we managed to scare the neighbours when they came round though, as we sat them next to a 4ft Marshall amp (oh he's got three of those as well!!) reassured them it was for gigs though! Yes your right they are good investments, he's owned alot of guitars then kicked himself for selling them when a few years later there worth a couple of grand more! no smokes so far today hurrah! (I've saved £6 already)

Originally posted by jenjen:

Get rid of whatever wall art you have and hang the guitars up. Marshall cabs also double as end tables.

There - problem solved! :D:D

wall hangings could be good, but I'm worried about displaying them as you'd see them through the house windows, bit of an invitation for burglars.....could booby trap them! No fags last night, that was the hardest so far, (though I did wake up this morning feeling quite proud of myself) the craving didn't actually go all night so I just did an exercise DVD, considering buying a punch bag as well! it made for a great evening! But we're going to prepare ourselves tonight get some magazines, DVD's etc. try and keep ourselves occupied but chilled

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Marshall cabs also double as end tables.

Tell you what, unused quadboxes make dandy coffee tables. :D When you lie them flat, they're just the right height. [/quote

Blasphemous, but true! :D:D

Originally posted by Bluesape:

WTF? Where's everybody's "I didn't smoke today", or "here's why I broke down and had one" messages? http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fam/fam21.gif

Oh, god... this is going to get all Bridget Jonesey is it? ;) Cigarettes smoked, stairs climbed, glasses of Chardonnay drunk...

Well, ok.

I haven't been doing too well: I've been having about two a day since Thursday. Sunday was the peak, I actually had four, but I was basically cadging from a visitor and when she went home that was that.

Anyway, my wife and I tend to smoke a little on weekends. It happens. I hope to have a smoke free day today. I have to, otherwise cycling to work becomes a bit too much work.

I cracked yesterday had a funeral to go to, bought 20 and me and my partner smoked all of them by the end of the day felt terrible. Stopping today again. Partner is buying some patches for extra support. But during the weekend of no smoking we managed to spring clean the entire house, stain and put up some shelves we've been meaning to put up for 4 months and fit the fridge in the kitchen, it was stressful but worth it, I'm alot more productive when I'm not smoking :)

Week 3, ran out of the 21mg patches (finally) picked up 2 weeks of 14 mg, ...much better...the taste and smell is not as overpowering and they dont cause a rash like a couple of the stronger ones did. So far so good (but I still crave a cig after dinner - but that too will pass - I hope)
Lynn G

Originally posted by Guitar Geezer:

Week 3, ran out of the 21mg patches (finally) picked up 2 weeks of 14 mg, ...much better...the taste and smell is not as overpowering and they dont cause a rash like a couple of the stronger ones did. So far so good (but I still crave a cig after dinner - but that too will pass - I hope)

Hang in there Geezer, the cravings after meals are strictly "Habit" cravings. Try replacing the bad habit with a new one. My sister-in-law started brushing her teeth every time she wanted a smoke. Her teeth are frighteningly white, but hey, whatever works right?

Archived