Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Modern Art Masterpieces

Eric Iverson

I just rented that war movie "Full Metal Jacket" and the drill sergeant tells one of the Marine recruits the following (among many unprintable things):

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece!

Leading me to reflect, Modern Art Masterpieces might make a GREAT name for a rock band. (Especially if the humorless individuals in the 'tsk-tsk' brigade get ahold of it...)

Or Deadbeat Dads, but that's for another thread.....

And now it's time for me to go home and get a life, before I murder the English language again!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS (and I truly apologize to those who hated the previous post).. but if you continued reading, you have only yourself to blame!

Anyway, there is a bluegrass band called the Dreadful Snakes, and I bought their CD on the theory that any band named the Dreadful Snakes can't be ALL bad! Oh, also because the mandolinist was Clarence White's brother!

Maybe that Full Metal guy was a Dandy Warhol?

I like the name Dreadful Snakes, conjurs up all kinds of bizarre images. And lets face it, it's a lot less daggy than the Kentucky Colonels. Telling a record shop owner, in a loud voice "I want the Dreadful Snakes" is gonna get you respect!

I remember a 70's band called Tarantula - might have been German a band. Great album .... I only remember one song 'Billy the Birdman'

Originally posted by Philemec:

Maybe that Full Metal guy was a Dandy Warhol?

I like the name Dreadful Snakes, conjurs up all kinds of bizarre images. And lets face it, it's a lot less daggy than the Kentucky Colonels.

I always liked "KIng Carbon & The Enemies of Algebra". That name really killed me! And I found it pretty spooky, for some reason :D

Originally posted by Vince C.:

I always liked "KIng Carbon & The Enemies of Algebra". That name really killed me! And I found it pretty spooky, for some reason :D

That's pretty cool name. :D

We played after another band once at a festval that was named "King Carbon And The Chemists". They had this big atom symbol as their icon and they were all dressed in lab coats. :cool:

They only played their own stuff (or, at least, I'd never heard any of it before) which was complete dreck. I think about four people (out of about 500) applauded when they finished their set. :freak:

Born on the Bayou

I've met two genuine and utterly rediculous names in my 59-ish years.

When I was a teenager, a friend went to Sweden and returned with a girl in tow whose name was:

Randi Aas. Yup!

In the eighties I worked for an electronics firm and there was a Thai gent representative whose name approximated to Wan Lon Phuq. Really.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

• 1 month later...

In the late eighties, there was a 3 piece fusion group who played in New York City consisting of 2 black guys and a chinese guy.

The name of the band was listed and advertised as

Two N---s and a Ch--k.

Evidently they were quite good, but I never got a chance to see them.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by Picker:

This explains it. To me, it just sounded like a cool sort of incongruity...

As you are always pointing out, Picker... doesn't some stuff belong in HC?
Please note that I only posted a link to a page, rather than cut & pasting the the entire article, as is the practice of some. Also, I posted the link in response to a question, not as a springboard to expound upon my views upon an off-topic subject, and issued no invitation for opinon or discussion of the matter. And last, but not least, it wasn't a link to a political subject, but rather a scientific one, and HC is for political discussion. So, I don't see how you have any sort of valid point to call me on, Kramer.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Please note that I only posted a link to a page, rather than cut & pasting the the entire article, as is the practice of some.

Well, it's an entire site, isn't it?

Also, I posted the link in response to a question, not as a springboard to expound upon my views upon an off-topic subject, and issued no invitation for opinon or discussion of the matter.

As opposed to saying something simple and to the point like, "it's a term current in the Creationist movement" or something like that?

And last, but not least, it wasn't a link to a political subject, but rather a scientific one, and HC is for political discussion.

"Intelligent Design vs. Evolution" is no longer a political subject? Ok, then. :rolleyes:

If you are not about to call for "humanism" to be removed from all governments, and that everyone fight against the "one world, one currency government", and godless Darwinism etc etc, that's a different story. :)

Peace,

Vince.

Edit: or Kramer, if you prefer :D

Well, it's an entire site, isn't it?

Yes, but not posted here, which has often happened. I am not trying shove any view of anything not guitar-related down anybody's throat, nor am I trying to promote non-guitar-related discussion here.

As opposed to saying something simple and to the point like, "it's a term current in the Creationist movement" or something like that?

Yu probably better read the link again, Vince(sorry, I didn't know your name before). The creationists didn't coin the term, nor is it current even among those who did...

Intelligent Design vs. Evolution" is no longer a political subject? Ok, then. :rolleyes:

Ask any politician about it, and watch 'em make every effort to run for cover before discussing it. For myself, I don't need or want to discuss it, particularly here...

If you are not about to call for "humanism" to be removed from all governments, and that everyone fight against the "one world, one currency government", and godless Darwinism etc etc, that's a different story. :)

Seeing as how I didn't call for any of the things you mentioned, or even call for a discussion of them, once again I don't see that you have anything to call me on. I might also point out that you are are presenting a political view on the subject, not me. I was (and still am) presenting a definition for a term I thought made a neat name for a band, a definition which I was asked for, and which I felt less able to define as succinctly as the web page I googled to find. I did not advocate or suggest anything of a political nature, or invite discussion on such, nor do I want to, especially not here.

Edit: or Kramer, if you prefer :D

Thank you for your name. Mine is Mike.

Re: Hopeful Monsters... I often think that the Atavistics would be a good name... it means a throwback to an earlier stage in evolution.. evolving backwards as it were!

And the old rock band, the Troggs, was short for Troglodytes.. meaning cave dwellers.

In New York City, we are not exactly cave dwellers per se.. but millions of us ride to work in cattle cars underground!

Re: Hopeful Monsters... I often think that the Atavistics would be a good name... it means a throwback to an earlier stage in evolution.. evolving backwards as it were!

And the old rock band, the Troggs, was short for Troglodytes.. meaning cave dwellers.

In New York City, we are not exactly cave dwellers per se.. but millions of us ride to work in cattle cars underground!

Mike: Ok... I made a mistake and shouldn't have "preempted" you or put words in your mouth.

Sorry about that. Won't happen again.

V.

Apology accepted, Vince. Mucho agape.

Archived