Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are the differences between a Fender 57 reissue and the Eric Johnsen strat?

webe123

OK, I am wondering since the Eric Johnson strat was kinda based on the 57 reissue, what are the differences (good and bad) between the Fender Eric Johnson and of the 57 reissue strat ?

The only thing I have read on the Eric Johnson that I do not like is it says it has medium frets, but the 57 has vintage frets or very small fretwire. Other than that it looks good. I think the EJ strat also does not have a cover on the back where the frets are and it has a bone nut....what do the EJ strat pickups sound like compared to a 57 reissue strat?

I has a 57 reissue strat made in the 80s that I bought new and absolutely LOVED that guitar...but I sold it years later when it was gonna need a new fret job and I bought my PRS Mcarty soapbar. Well now I have the funds to get a 57 reissue again, but a lot of people say the EJ is a lot better for only a couple of hundred more.

How are the pickups compared to the 57 reissues?

I also posted that I was gonna get a 57 reissue, but I may shell out a couple of hundered more IF the EJ is worth it. Opinions?? Please post.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got ya thinkin' about the EJ didn't I? :D

I don't have near enough $ for the EJ so I don't even bother to try 'em out.

You might get some helpful info here

Most buyers seem to declare it their #1 right away. A few don't care for it much. Might be some info you can use if you got time to sift through it.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Well, there's also the headstock shaping that allows the EJ to go without string-trees; the neck is quarter-sawn instead of flat-sawn maple (and aparently highly figured flamed maple, as well, if they're all the same as the ones shown in ads and other pics so far); there're some details in the trem-bridge; and the two-piece alder bodies are supposedly selected for pronounced resonance. The body and neck contours and details may be more authentic to a '50s-vintage Strat, as well.

As soon as I get a chance, I'd really like to check a few of these out myself! Overall, they look to be pretty much what I'd want in a '50s-style Strat. Mmmmmnnn, if they put out a Candy Apple Red EJ with all gold hardware...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

My buudy in Austin bought a MIM '57 reissue for 400.00 at Mars, I believe in San Antonio. I was with him. He's been on a quest to get me into a Les Paul, but it backfired, and now he's got a Strat that he likes better than his PRS bolt-on.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

From what I have read, the bridge pickup is hooked up to a tone control and the polepieces are tweaked. I think that there is a weight limit on the body. I don't think its a radically different instrument than the 57 reissue, just tweaked to EJ's specs.

As huge an Eric Johnson fan as I am, I just have a hard time talking myself into buying another Strat. I already have an SRV Srtat that I don't play. If I bought the EJ I would probably just hang it on the wall.

The EJ also has a much flatter fretboard radius. It's 12" and the '57 is 7.25". The Fender website says staggered tuners are what eliminates the need for the string tree. I wonder if you could just put those on any strat?

I read in an interview that Eric winds an unusually long length of the E&B strings on his vintage strats that have string trees on them. I guess the idea is the wraps stack so far downward that the string passes under the tree.

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

There have been at least two different Fender "'57 RI" Strats over the years, and I am pretty sure that at least one was "MIM", and the other "MIUSA"...

Originally posted by Dances With Werewolves:

There have been at least two different Fender "'57 RI" Strats over the years, and I am pretty sure that at least one was "MIM", and the other "MIUSA"...

Could be. The only one currently in the catalog seems to be American made.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

Originally posted by Haga:

The Fender website says staggered tuners are what eliminates the need for the string tree. I wonder if you could just put those on any strat?

Yes you can. Sperzel makes a locking set of such staggered tuners that I would highly recommend.

Rhino

That is true, and staggered-height locking-tuners would be good on any guitar (I don't think that the ones on the EJ are locking, though), but the headstock is definitely also different, more 'scooped out' and with a slightly different tuner-post to nut relationship.

Originally posted by Bluesape:

My buudy in Austin bought a MIM '57 reissue for 400.00 at Mars, I believe in San Antonio. I was with him. He's been on a quest to get me into a Les Paul, but it backfired, and now he's got a Strat that he likes better than his PRS bolt-on.

They DO make japenese reissues ( I don't know if they also make mexican reissues or not) ....but I was refering to american made 57 reissue only!

I thought most posting here knew that, because I am comparing it to a EJ which is also US made.

But I have been looking at both and even though the EJ has more bells and whistles, I am sticking with a 57 reissue for my purchase. I like the small frets the 57 has and I also lkike the pickups on the 57 reissue. As well as the fretboard radius on the 57.

I would rather go with what I KNOW I will like rather than get another guitar and HOPE it is like the 57 reissue.

Actually it's pretty simple:

"50's Strat" = hecho en Mejico = inexpensive

'57 reissue Strat = made in USA (ever since its introduction) = mucho dinero.

The "American Vintage '57" is made in America. The "Classic '50s Strat" is made in Mexico.

There are a bunch of differences with the EJ strat. Paint, string trees, a dozen little details. It's probably a very nice axe, though I haven't played one yet. It's the Strat that guitar nerds on the internet would design. ;)

Hmn, I'd guess then that your best bet yet would be to try them out first, including more than one '57 RI...

Well I can't exactly do that going through the internet with EM Shorts. But they DO give a 5 day period that you can return the guitar with no questions asked if you don't like it.

They also go through and inspect each guitar that comes in before it is shipped out and they are also going to set it up with my choice of strings.

So I feel pretty confident about this transaction.

Did you ask them to install the 5 way switch?

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Ive never played a EJ strat but Im sure its a great axe. I have two 57 reissue Strats and they are both GREAT instuments. They are very much like my SRV Strat but the fret wire is a bit smaller. I love the tone you get on the second position up from the bridge pickup on the 5 way selector! I use this setting ALL the time for Clapton and rock-a-billy material mostly. Both my 57's where detailed very well and required very little setup to be excellant players. They are ROCK solid as far as holding tune.

ellwood,

Did yours come with the 5 way already installed? Mine didn't and I had to pay extra later on to have it put in there. Even though it's a reissue of a guitar which originally came with a 3 way, they should install the 5 way at the factory, IMO.Or, at least advise dealers to do this if the customer wants.

Sure wish I hadn't let mine go but found that I prefer bigger frets and rosewood. Instead of another '57RI, I'd get the

Custom Classic

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

ellwood,

Did yours come with the 5 way already installed? Mine didn't and I had to pay extra later on to have it put in there. Even though it's a reissue of a guitar which originally came with a 3 way, they should install the 5 way at the factory, IMO.Or, at least advise dealers to do this if the customer wants.

Sure wish I hadn't let mine go but found that I prefer bigger frets and rosewood. Instead of another '57RI, I'd get the

Custom Classic

Haga, no mine didnt either! I put mine in the first day I had it then sent it out to be set up by my guy. Well some guys care about the three way being in there, they like that out of phase the the click BETWEEN the first and second detent on the switch used to give. The second detent on the five way now is supposed to give you that sound. Im not so sure that it does exacly but it is very close as I remember from my old old Strats. Yes the factory should install the five way and provide the three way instead of the reverse.

Did you ask them to install the 5 way switch?

When I had my 57 reissue from the 80's, I never did install the 5 way.

Why? I liked using the "in Between" positions like on old strats. I think they should sell them as they are...with what came on them in the first place.

They did not have a 5 way switch on stratocasters in 1957 and I think on that "in Between" sound you lose something with a 5 way. Mabye that's just me, though.

Archived