Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2x15 guitar cabs?

DustinFuneral

Who else besides Randall makes them, and where can I get them from?

Even Randall's is discontinued now.

I use a full stack (marshall 1960 A & B)

and I want to get a little more bottom end on the bottom. The 2x15 will definitely do this, but I can't find one. I also don't really care for Randall too much (they're the only ones I can find, and even then it's old stock).

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can't find the 2x15 cabs, a properly designed and ported 2x10 cab will give you all the bass that you need. (Which is why the SVT bass cabinet is eight little 10 inch cabinets in one big box.)

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Rivera Amps makes a powered subwoofer called the Los Lobottom that will do exactly what you're talking about. I think it has two tens, and I don't recall the price.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Lancer:

I suggest you visit the Avatar Speaker website (http://avatarspeakers.com). They make and direct ship speaker cabinets at very reasonable prices (i.e. standard offering or you can advise them and they'll make it custom). Their quality and service is very good.

Yeah, but do they have anything with more bass than the 4x12 160A and B? Not that I saw on their site when I looked last, a year ago or so.

They do carry a design that I have mentioned before.... the partially close/partially open backed cab. I have a THD in the same style, and I like them a lot. I was originally going to buy the Avatar because they are a great value. Can't tell you exactly why I bought the THD, other than it matches the THD head. I like the Avatar offerings. I just don't know if they have an answer for this particular question.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by Crypt Picker:

Rivera Amps makes a powered subwoofer called the Los Lobottom that will do exactly what you're talking about. I think it has two tens, and I don't recall the price.

MMmmmmmm, Los Lobottom :D Sweet, sweet lows, about $800 the last time I checked. The Rivera Knucklehead Reverb has a dedicated speaker out for it with separate volume control. Unfortunately, it's out of my budget :mad:

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

To borrow/butcher a line from Harold and Kumar: "A 2x15. But ... why?"

I agree with everyone so far. Bass cabs have been built with 8- to 18-inch drivers; it's more about how the cab is tuned/ported. A closed-back 4x12 guitar cab already puts out more than enough low end to drown out any bass player, even the ones in the next town!

8- and 12-string bassists (4 courses of 2 or 3 strings tuned in octaves) use a crossover to send the guitar-like frequencies to a guitar rig, like your nice Marshall. The low frequencies go to a standard bass rig.

So, you've got one of those 8-string guitars or something? (Like this guy ?)

I've been drooling over the Rivera powered subs for a long time now. In addition to more low end, they sort of free up your main amp from any low end you had it pushing. At least that is how I understand the advantage they offer.

There is another thread about stomp boxes that I haven't joined in on-- and I'd have avoided this one too except for the Rivera reference-- because I just don't apparently produce any "crunch" rythmn and wouldn't know how. Maybe I'll jump in there with a question.

I don't think "crunch" is the problem but the ever lowering of guitar's range. I wonder if biamping like some bassists do would get you where you want to go. Less sophistocated would be the way Jack Cassidy got his distorted sound in Jefferson Airplane, where he ran a poly tone amp cranked for his distortion and something else for his low end.

I don't think any real solution-- as in when you were all said and done with it and happy with the sound-- will be any cheaper or better than adding a Rivera Sub. Biamping gets complicated, and the low end you're adding will isn't down in like a bassist low B string range anyway so it is sort of a waste. That Randall looks kinda cool, not bag but kinda cool, I don't think it would do what the Rivera would do. It might distort better, but I think 1) the "crunch" you're looking for, 2) low-end and 3) mud are all sort of near each other and you want some combination of two and none of the third.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Originally posted by musicalhair:

[...] the low end you're adding will isn't down in like a bassist low B string range anyway so it is sort of a waste. [...]

Exactly. A standard-tuned 6-string guitar is going to bottom out at about 82Hz (E2). A standard-tuned 4-string bass goes down to 41Hz (E1), and the low B on a 5-string bottoms out at about 31Hz (B0). The range of human hearing is said to bottom out at 20Hz.

The other problem is when you start amplifying your power company's AC frequency. In the U.S., this is 60Hz, the infamous "60 cycle hum". Since most guitars don't produce a frequency less than 82Hz, amplifying lower frequencies that include 60Hz is just going to add noise.

The A string is 110Hz (A2), so if you were to use a crossover set under 110Hz you'd just be sending the first 5 chromatic notes from your E string to the sub. Anything higher than that and the sub doesn't do anything for you.

Yeah, a Rivera SUB 2 will give you a 500W 2x12 powered subwoofer (in a 120 pound package). My bass might sound nice through it, but I don't think it'll help my LP that much.

Archived