Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slightly OT: Forgotten Rock Gems from the 60s/70s?

Virtual Jim

Originally posted by moeblues04:

Originally posted by dreibel:

from Canada: album stuff from the Guess Who, Mandala, Bush, Ugly Ducklings, McKenna Mendelson Mainline, Scrubbaloe Caine, Mood Jga Jga, Les Pucks, Michel Pagliaro, Teenage Head, Forgotten Rebels, The Spoons, Mahogany Rush, FM, Streetheart, Goddo.....

You forgot about one of my favourite Canadian bands....Max Webster!!!!!
now how could I forget them!? Especially Kim Mitchell, the Zappa-eaque lead guitarist who came up with so many out-there solos and riffs like "High Class In Borrowed Shoes", "Hangover", "In The World Of Giants" and "The Party"? Not to mention their "band duet" with Rush, "Battlescar":

"Been in jail for a thousand years,

Found a fist in an empty field,

Only quarters for meals,

Feel the way I feel....

Bust the busters, screw the feeders,

Make the healers, feel the way I feel!"

Kim's now an afternoon DJ at Q107 in Toronto (and co-hosts a "Hair Metal Hour" on Saturdays), but still does gigs. He also was one of my customers years and years ago, nice and easy-going.

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by southpawstrat:

Camel, Caravan, Hatfield and the North, Quantum Jump, Gong, Brand X, U.K., Gentle Giant, just to name a few..

I'd also like to add Focus, who I just thought of reading another thread. They had their "hit" song "Hocus Pocus," but one of my personal favorites is "Hamburger Concerto: Rare/Medium/Well Done." They were a great classicaly influenced rock band that play with guts and didn't take themselves too seriously. Jan Akkerman (guitar) was great, probably still is.
"I look for whatever will cut the deepest... whammy bars and wah wah pedals can't be used as just gimmicks. They have to reflect and express your feelings." - Jeff Beck

Archived